SWA / Frontier Deal Off For Now!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Negative

Could it be that SWA may proceed with or without a negotiated prenup on the seniority list? With SWA looking for an extension it might just be that SWA needs this acquisition more than some think.

KERA: Southwest CEO Says Labor Issue Could Be Frontier Deal Breaker (2009-08-12)

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly says one issue could break the deal Southwest has proposed for bankrupt Frontier Airlines, of Denver. A winning bidder could be announced this week. KERA's Bill Zeeble has more

Assuming Southwest's hundred-70 million dollar takeover bid for Frontier beats competitor Republic, Kelly says he'll stop the deal cold if Southwest and Frontier employees are in conflict.

Kelly: I won't go forward unless we have an agreement with their labor. And you see examples around the country where airlines have acquired other airlines and then left it up to unions over years to fight it out over a period of years. We're not going to do that.

When Fort Worth's American Airlines bought TWA, union groups from both carriers remained in conflict for a long time.

Kelly says Southwest employees and the corporate culture are too important to upend. He says he respects Frontier's workers but says if they end up working for Southwest, their pay would rise significantly.

Email Bill Zeeble

© Copyright 2009, KERA

Sorry boys you had a chance. FAPA just sold you out. RJ's are nice though. I'm sure Republic will take good care of you and your families, ask a Midway guy. And for the 450 F9 with apps in at WN, well, good luck with that.

All of that is coming Craig's way. It always was, it will just take a little longer now. Mergers/Acquisitions are messy. Organic growth is a better way to go. Frontier is done, they just don't know it yet. Republic will see to that.

And the best of luck to you my friend. I have been eating the biggest sh1t sandwich for a quite a while, yet I continue to behave as a gentlemen.

How do you feel about "organic" fleet reduction? Or "organic" furloughs?

I would never wish a job loss on another professional, but the reality of the situation is that this deal guarantees a job for every current SWA pilot. Do the majority of SWAPA pilots want to endure their first furlough in the history of the airline, or do they want a guaranteed buffer?

And the best of luck to you my friend. I have been eating the biggest sh1t sandwich for a quite a while, yet I continue to behave as a gentlemen.

How do you feel about "organic" fleet reduction? Or "organic" furloughs?

I would never wish a job loss on another professional, but the reality of the situation is that this deal guarantees a job for every current SWA pilot. Do the majority of SWAPA pilots want to endure their first furlough in the history of the airline, or do they want a guaranteed buffer?

Not flamebait, but an honest question: what do you think of your union president rolling the dice with your future? Are you glad that he wouldn't agree to giving you a SWA seniority number? If he had said "yes" tonight, you would have a SWA career ahead of you, but he said "no".

Does the average Frontier guy think that the other option is better? I know what I think, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Kelly: I won't go forward unless we have an agreement with their labor.

We'll see. Maybe he will pull the plug, but we've heard similar words before. An agreement with labor could just be a date certain integrated seniority list.

F9 pilots have rights, they should defend them.

Now the door maybe open for a serious consolidation of carriers such as JetBlue, Virgin, Frontier and Spirit.

That would be an interesting route structure.

Nothing on the website about this. Nothing in my inbox. I don't think the two sides are even negotiating that yet. We don't even have a contract. SWAPA Pres. said we don't start talking integration until we have a contract. Where did you get this info SWA2000?

Word from FAPA

From TOF

"FAPA wants seat protection for their Captains and may be willing to allow the FO's to be stapled to the bottom."

WOW, ain't that a bitch. The senior just screwed the junior... again.

Latest resources

Back