• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA expected upgrade times?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
'Quiet Flight' was at Gulfstream International ? What a fine pedigree. I'm not surprised that SWA was unable to resist him. This only confirms the exacting standards and decades of hard work that's required to work there.

Very impressive

Last edited:
On those planes? Probably 10 years from now, after a lot of the guys have retired. In the meantime, we are still supposedly getting 787s (although rumor has it they will be the larger version, the -900, when they probably will come in 2020), and we are getting a lot more 737s--the -900ERs start coming next year. We are getting 21 MD90s this year and 8 next year, but I never have wanted to fly one of those. I could hold the MD88 as a Capt in ATL now, and I instead will wait for the 737 as a lineholder. Most of those guys are around 91 hires or a bit earlier, and I am a 96. We only have 36 total 744s/777s, so it is tougher to hold those as a Captain, but we do have plenty of 757/767s. So, in a perfect world, I will go to 737 Capt in the next year or two, and then a few more after that the 757/767 if it is still around, and then 787 after that. All 11 fingers are crossed! In the meantime, I am enjoying Asia flying, something our airline didn't do much of prior to our merger.

Bye Bye--General Lee

My bad, for some reason I thought you were a Captain on the 767 right now, didn't realize you were throwing gear.

I have a friend that is a B777 captain, he loves it...few trips a month, great destinations (he loves Sydney, Jo'burg and Dubai) and lots of real lucrative greenslips. (The best was a few months ago he had a deadhead to dubai, and operate back to ATL, all on a green slip...that's $$$$$).

Yes, the MD88 in ATL/NYC and maybe MSP? The DC9 also is fairly junior, but I don't want to fly that either. I can make more money as a senior FO on a widebody as I can as a reserve narrowbody Captain. When I can hold a line on the 737, I will then bid it as Captain.

Bye Bye---General Lee

What about B777 or B744 FO? Would you consider trying that?

Not trying to flame - just a simple question. I know SWA hired a bunch of people recently. If someone joined SWA post official AirTran merger (say, in the last 5-6 months), what would be a realistic upgrade time estimate? 20 years?

Seriously, a guy asked a legit question at the beginning of this and it has turned into another us vs. them thread. Grow up and get over it on both sides. Gloating will bite you and feeling sorry for yourself isn't going make your life easier either. We are on the same team now people!

Barring some kind of freakish internal growth, 20 years is about right. I would like to add one comment though. Both sides are still trying to put this behind them. As you can see from some SWA comments, despite our integration staying out of arbitration and the AT pilots losing a chunk of seniority, they are still resentful about the deal. I don't take it personally, but we got invited to a party that no one really wanted us at. Not much you can do about the me, me, me guys on both sides. I'm glad I survived my first merger with a job in hand. Don't let the merger or upgrade time scare you from applying. Things change constantly and you never know what is going to happen. If I had never submitted an App to AirTran because it was an underdog 10 years ago, imagine how I would feel now. Bottom line is there a no guarantees no matter where you go. Best of luck.

Will it still be super competitive to get on when Delta, United, etc all start hiring in the coming years?

SWA is where I've wanted to end up for sometime, but it's discouraging reading about the guys that are unbelievably qualified and didn't even get a shot at an interview.

Seriously, a guy asked a legit question at the beginning of this and it has turned into another us vs. them thread. Grow up and get over it on both sides. Gloating will bite you and feeling sorry for yourself isn't going make your life easier either. We are on the same team now people!

I agree that we are on the same team, however, the pilot profession requires some thick skin. When islandhopper starts whining, pilots are going to jump all over him. Crap happens, get over it. As far as your "grow up" statement. Suck it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back