• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA expected upgrade times?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't mess around with those things, they are bad juju.

I disagree.

When I'm recovering from a particularly nasty Ether binge I like to play with the growth numbers. If I put a large enough number in the calculator it shows me being senior to myself and upgrading again thirty years ago.

Is the fourth stripe really all that important? An FO at SWA is still making a wheelbarrow full of money. I'd think that a nice paycheck with some decent seniority would be a helluva lot more valuable than the extra stripe.

Flying the same plane to the same places for 10+ years with some Dbag giving his "advice" on how to fly does get old. I'm looking forward to that fourth stripe. Don't get me wrong, though, the money is awesome and we(Swa pilots) are very fortunate!

I just checked out the "Projected Upgrade Program." Mine said, "Eleventy Billion more years."

I have trained my left ear to turn off when someone with 4 stripes or my wife is talking. There are FO D-bags with sage advice too.

I just worked for 4 straight days and never broke a sweat.

I have a company that has not missed a paycheck, I have not been displaced, and my job is not in jeopardy - at this time.. I consider myself fortunate.

5th and 20th.

This ^^^^ ! Just when you think, man I'm safe, I finally upgraded and get to fly with favorite you know what every week. You discover that it ain't the number of stripes. But who is wearing them!

Upgrade can be a sore subject, so can mergers and acquisitions. So can getting poked with a sharp stick in the eye. I am happy at Swa, even with upgrading after whataburger.

True, and it is the cost of doing business. It is up to management to decide which planes it wants where. If it brings in 4 times the profit than domestic airlines, then great. A lot of it is figuring out where the planes should go to make money. Right now Asia is hot, but Europe isn't doing great lately due to the economic mess. Luckily, some of the planes that go there can be moved to Asia or South America. That is what is good about having the right sized fleet. During the Summer the A330s do a lot of Europe out of our biggest hub, ATL. After the loads drop off a bit in September, those A330s start to switch to other regions, and 767ERs replace them. The 744s and 777s usually do trunk routes that have a lot of cargo and have pretty good loads year round, like LAX to SYD. If you had 100 744s, and economies tanked all around the World, that might be really bad.

Sorry about the thread creep. Hopefully your SWA upgrades continue at a fast pace...

Bye Bye---General Lee

So speaking of upgrades, when are you wearing the 4stripes in the B777 or B744, GL?

So speaking of upgrades, when are you wearing the 4stripes in the B777 or B744, GL?

On those planes? Probably 10 years from now, after a lot of the guys have retired. In the meantime, we are still supposedly getting 787s (although rumor has it they will be the larger version, the -900, when they probably will come in 2020), and we are getting a lot more 737s--the -900ERs start coming next year. We are getting 21 MD90s this year and 8 next year, but I never have wanted to fly one of those. I could hold the MD88 as a Capt in ATL now, and I instead will wait for the 737 as a lineholder. Most of those guys are around 91 hires or a bit earlier, and I am a 96. We only have 36 total 744s/777s, so it is tougher to hold those as a Captain, but we do have plenty of 757/767s. So, in a perfect world, I will go to 737 Capt in the next year or two, and then a few more after that the 757/767 if it is still around, and then 787 after that. All 11 fingers are crossed! In the meantime, I am enjoying Asia flying, something our airline didn't do much of prior to our merger.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back