• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Southwest route to Boston reveals how competition affects fares

Philadelphia Inquirer

- 02/18/2010 -
Absurd and crazymight describe the ticket prices charged by US Airways Group Inc. to fly nonstop from Philadelphia to Boston. The airline's Web site yesterday had $550 one-way coach fares, or $1,100 round-trip, for current travel on its 16 weekday nonstop flights.

Why so expensive for a trip that is 280 air miles and takes five hours on Amtrak?

In a word: monopoly. No one else flies there from here.

After AirTran Airways stopped flying the route in 2007, ticket prices crept up. Then, in August, Delta Air Lines Inc. dropped the route, and fares rose again.

With Southwest Airlines Co's. announcement Tuesday that it will begin five daily nonstop flights to Boston on June 27 - at an introductory $59 one-way fare - air travel between the two cities is going to get a lot cheaper, and permanently. It's called competition.

"It's amazing, whenever Southwest goes into a city, the fares just plummet," said Jeffrey Erlbaum, owner of Eta Travel in West Conshohocken, who books most of his Philadelphia clients to Boston either on Amtrak or on Southwest flights to Manchester, N.H., and Providence, R.I., rather than pay the sky-high fares.

"And when Southwest pulls out of a city - like they did flying Philadelphia to Hartford, Conn. - the fares went from $100 to $200 round-trip to now up in the $700-to-$800 round-trip range," Erlbaum said. "Because no one else flies there except US Airways."

Southwest, the nation's largest low-fare carrier and Philadelphia's second-busiest airline, said that it was careful about where it flew and that the Philadelphia-Boston route was going to be a great one.

"We are known for sticking with what we try to do," said Southwest's vice president of properties, Bob Montgomery, at a ribbon-cutting for a new terminal expansion and aircraft gates at Philadelphia International Airport.

"We are dropping the fares to one-tenth of the normal fares," Montgomery said. "Typically, when we lower fares, more people are able to fly, and so it expands the marketplace."

The $59 introductory fare to Boston, which is being matched by US Airways for the period of Southwest's fare sale June 27 to Aug. 13, will absolutely go up, but nowhere near present levels.

"The fares, in round numbers, will eventually look a lot like the fares back and forth to Pittsburgh," said airline analyst Bob McAdoo, with Avondale Partners.

"The distances are about the same. Philly-Pitt was for years a monopoly by US Airways with high fares," McAdoo said. "Southwest came in with some extremely low fares and a modest number of flights." The result now: You can find US Airways one-way to Pittsburgh in March for $59 and $89.

"The Boston fares will gravitate down," McAdoo said. "It will cost you about the same to go to Boston as it now does to go to Pittsburgh."

US Airways can charge high prices for a short-haul flight to Boston because there is no easy way to connect to another carrier and get there. "It's tough to find an alternative. It's not unique to US Airways or unique to this market," McAdoo said. "You find really high fares where nobody else competes."

Analysts agree the new route is a smart move for Southwest, which began flying to Boston from Chicago and Baltimore in August.

Although US Airways' revenue will take a hit, in the context of its overall network, the new competition will not have a measurable effect on finances, analysts say.

"The assets of an airline are a portfolio of assets, so no one route is a make-or-break route," said airline analyst Dan McKenzie of Next Generation Equity Research.

Boston was the sixth-largest market for US Airways in Philadelphia in 2008, but Philadelphia's largest airline also has international revenue, and Philadelphia is its international hub. With 65 percent of the Philadelphia market, compared with Southwest's 14 percent, "Southwest is still a pretty small competitor overall in Philadelphia," McKenzie said.

Southwest is shrinking about 7 percent overall in the first and second quarters - eliminating airplane seats and capacity - in markets where it competes with US Airways and "there is direct overlap between the two carriers," McKenzie said. "Southwest is having a bigger impact in Denver and in St. Louis, where it has dislodged American Airlines from the market essentially."

"Southwest has had success competing against American and United, which historically have higher cost structures and higher fares, vs. US Airways, which has one of the lower cost structures among legacy carriers," McKenzie said. "I would argue US Airways fares, on average, are lower than some of its peers."

But not from Philadelphia to Boston.

Stop, delete thread. Now 5 pages from Walmart, Target and Home Depot shoppers on how SWAs low prices are killing the industry. :)

No Scope=Corporate America has killed the airline industry, and many other industries !!

SWA=highest paid employees.. Just doesn't have 10 buildings like AA,UN,DL with 500 vice presidents, and directors taking huge money on the backs of average Americans !!

Americans one day will get tired of this behavior !! Its coming !! Remember it is the UNITED STATES !!! No CEO is worth over 2 million a year. DL's=10 million, do you think he is worth that? NO

No Scope=Corporate America has killed the airline industry, and many other industries !!

I'll give you that one. That's only part of it though.

SWA=highest paid employees..
Turn your clock back 10 years------>SWA=LOWEST paid employees!
But when you have people that are willing to work for substandard wages, and pay for their training, then you have a new low in the industry that has been set as the standard.

Just doesn't have 10 buildings like AA,UN,DL with 500 vice presidents, and directors taking huge money on the backs of average Americans !!

You mean on the backs of their employees. I have often believed that if you want to sit in the big chair, risk is part of the job. Let their pay equal their performance!

Americans one day will get tired of this behavior !! Its coming !! Remember it is the UNITED STATES !!! No CEO is worth over 2 million a year. DL's=10 million, do you think he is worth that? NO
It's already here!
No I don't think any CEO is worth that.

Wrong! swa's prices KILLED the industry.

And you work at Delta? Many would say that RJ's killed the industry, and what airline was the first to allow it's feeder to fly a jet? "Scope out RJ's" :laugh: your username is a pathetic parody of your ineffectiveness of your own pilot group. Now I remember why I log on here only 4 times a year, all the same morons who have nothing intellegent to add to a conversation. You must be a thrill on a 4 day trip. :puke:

You should grow a bigger mustache, that will really show your management DALPA means business.

Sorry, I'm not an ALPA officer.

And you work at Delta? Many would say that RJ's killed the industry, and what airline was the first to allow it's feeder to fly a jet?
While you're talking out of your nut drainer, maybe you should explain how many rj's have been taken out of the industry?
Of course, I don't expect much of an answer from a guy that could only get hired by "paying for his job."

"Scope out RJ's" :laugh: your username is a pathetic parody of your ineffectiveness of your own pilot group.
Says the guy who's name is canyonblue! Wasn't your pilot group the first to support "age 65?" Hypocrisy at it's finest. I've learned to expect nothing less from you skirts!

Now I remember why I log on here only 4 times a year, all the same morons who have nothing intellegent to add to a conversation. You must be a thrill on a 4 day trip. :puke:
Hey canyonblue, stop back when you have less time, k?

Last edited:
I just find it interesting that you morons are so entranced by Southwest Airlines that you end up on every thread that contains the word "Southwest". I really could give a crap what goes on at any other airline, it really doesn't interest me at all. So I don't understand the weird behavior.

I suppose there are some people who have an unhealthy obsession with an airline, although I really can't understand the sickness. Or maybe I am wrong, maybe I'll just check some of the other threads that have "Southwest" in the title to see if my theory is correct. You guys are actually freaking me out, you're kind of like a bunch of stalkers. yuck!!

I'll give you that one. That's only part of it though.

Turn your clock back 10 years------>SWA=LOWEST paid employees!
But when you have people that are willing to work for substandard wages, and pay for their training, then you have a new low in the industry that has been set as the standard.

I don't know where you get your pay numbers from, but SWA has been nowhere near the bottom in the last 15 years. Pay rate does not equal pay. Pay per day is where it is at. $250 an hour doesn't work so well when you sit fot 1.5 - 2 hours every time you land.

Pay for training? I never gave SWA a dime for any of my training. I had to have a type, but the training was no different because of it. Dropping the type would make no difference to the bottom line, although it may make upgrading a little less flexible.

Latest resources

Back