Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA delaying new planes, adding used Westjet birds --article

Vixen, how can you question the profitability of AirTran's B717 fleet? As soon as AirTran put the final nail in Midwest's coffin and the Midwest B717 fleet went to the desert, AirTran grabbed those additional 25 B717s as fast as they could.

Yeah---for parts!!!! I kid, I kid....

"Ever wonder why? I guess sometimes hindsight isn't always 20/20.".....

Because SW had reached the reality that they could not do much more with what they had. They did not posses the ability or corporate know how to expand their operations with the self imposed limits they had grown. Saying that everything "stopped" at SW because they were saving money to buy AT is a weak excuse. You were faced with competition that had a better product (Year after year at the top of the list for baggage handling and fewest customer complaints and on time performance) with a growing market and an ability to expand (near) internationally with plans to go into South America. (Puerto Rico is not international - in spite of what your magazines say.)

Your hindsight is a bit obscured looking through your purple colored (canyon blue) sunglasses.

At least UALX727 keeps the emotions out of it and realizes AAI would have had issues. Some of you other tranny's need to educate yourselves. I dont think SWA wanted to wait. Ever wonder why we werent growing right at the time SWA was looking at buying a certain someone. Yeah because a smart airline would grow grow grow while purchasing another airline. Are some of you tranny's really that ignorant? You might want to do some research on how your ex CEO saw things. Thats right, some of you like your cake and eat it to. Obviously the 717's were so profitable at our rates and higher oil. The most profitable airline in the world decided to get rid of 2/3rds of your fleet. I am sure the management at SWA decided they were just to profitable to stay at SWA.

Last edited:
Not emotional. Everything that was stated above is factual information. I do not think for a moment that AT would not have faced severe competition and I truly belive that collectively both pilot groups are in a better position. SW did not possess the abilities to do what they are now posed to accomplish. Our ex ceo finished what JL started and tried to do several times.... get SW to buy AT. It was no secret. But if AT was in such dire financial ruin, why not wait for the fire sale? It is not like SW capitalized on the Atlanta market or jumped right in to the international ops. How many years has it been? Just got the overwater OK! WOO HOOOOOO.

At your old rates with cheaper oil. And a weaker Deltoid. How would it be with the higher rates higher oil and a pretty darn strong Delta? Your ex ceo stated that with oil above $80 pbl AAI was going to have difficulties.

So why not wait for AirTran to fail so you can buy them for pennies on the dollar?

So why not wait for AirTran to fail so you can buy them for pennies on the dollar?

Exactly.

For all you airline CEO wannabes that gave AT no future hope, why buy us when you could have just picked up the pieces in the impending fire sale after bankruptcy? Or, better yet, figure out your way to fly outside CONUS and not have to deal with us in the first place? It's actually kind of scary for those of us that are acquired to come to the realization that our new company had to buy us to leave the lower 48 after 40 years in business. We're not impressed.

Exactly.

For all you airline CEO wannabes that gave AT no future hope, why buy us when you could have just picked up the pieces in the impending fire sale after bankruptcy? Or, better yet, figure out your way to fly outside CONUS and not have to deal with us in the first place? It's actually kind of scary for those of us that are acquired to come to the realization that our new company had to buy us to leave the lower 48 after 40 years in business. We're not impressed.
Because, you often do not have the luxury of knowing when that end game is near. Take F9, we now know it was as a pure exercise to get inside the books and raise the cost by bidding it up. AT was a given because the AT CEO shopped SWA. Better to do it early than later when other competitors try to outbid you.

For all you airline CEO wannabes that gave AT no future hope,
Never claimed but I can read what your EX CEO was saying about AAI future and it wasnt that great. Not anywhere close to as great as some of you tranny's brained washed yourselves into thinking.

Never claimed but I can read what your EX CEO was saying about AAI future and it wasnt that great. Not anywhere close to as great as some of you tranny's brained washed yourselves into thinking.

He would say he had webbed feet and made meat helmets as a hobby if he thought it would get him paid.

Latest resources

Back