• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA delaying new planes, adding used Westjet birds --article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The minute you painted blurple over the eskimo, all of Alaskas loyal customers would boycott Southwest in protest. They would eventually get over it, but all of that good will would be gone.

Good news! Get planes from under the Artic ice for all I care. Nothing will soothe over bad feelings for everyone involved better than good solid growth.

I haven't looked at the numbers but from my reading comprehension level it sounds like a continuing flat fleet vice growth. Anyone run the numbers to see the effect on the fleet?

I do agree it is a good move to get used -700s while dumping the -300s and begin planning for the -MAX.

Phred

You guys gonna staple Alaska too? Hiding behind GKs cape?

I haven't looked at the numbers but from my reading comprehension level it sounds like a continuing flat fleet vice growth. Anyone run the numbers to see the effect on the fleet?

I do agree it is a good move to get used -700s while dumping the -300s and begin planning for the -MAX.

Phred

Yeah, you are right. I just read the email regarding flat growth.

Phred
Original Fleet Modernization Plan:

2014: 24 B737-800s and 5 B737-700s
2015: 36 B737-700s

Revised Plan:

2014: 34 B737-800s
2015: 36 B737-700s
2014-2015: 10 Used B737-700s

Net result is 15 additional B737NGs coming through the end of 2015. The question remains how many of the 140 or so B737 Classics get retired by the end of 2015. Supposedly 88 B737 Classics are to get the Evolve interior last I heard. I would imagine there will be a SEC filing with the new delivery table filed over the next few days.

The 90 airframes coming basically replace the 88 717s leaving. Last I asked (both SWAPA and Mgt) SWA will be down to less than 100 classics by the end of 2015. Word is that these 50 ish airframes will be replaced by pre owned NGs. This gives them a lot of flexability to "right size" the fleet if they decide we have too much capacity after "agressive optimization"

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I think we will see more of this maneuvering.

Especially purchasing or sub-leasing used 737-700's. Just the beginning.

The minute you painted blurple over the eskimo, all of Alaskas loyal customers would boycott Southwest in protest. They would eventually get over it, but all of that good will would be gone.
all fifty of them?
The goodwill of a customer lasts until they can Internet click a cheaper or more convenient fare. Even Gary understands that fact.

Latest resources

Back