SWA culture!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
+1 for the guys who actually work here.
Airline #6- and it's a funner, less stressful place that tends to work easier bc everyone tries and cares a bit more.
If you don't work here- you don't know.
A telling piece-> how many pilots who work here trash it, even mildly?

Crashpad,

The culture is evident from day one of the interview. Of all the highly qualified candidates that show up, those that cannot smile, carry on a pleasant, honest conversation or jump on board the "whatever it takes to get the job done" train are quickly eliminated. Also eliminated are those that doubt the culture.

Many on this board have taken offense at such words as "staple, winning the lottery and lucky." People simply don't get it until they come on board. Those "offensive" words all describe how each of us felt on day one of training. Former astronauts, Air Tran Captains and Captains from other acquired airlines have partied like rock stars on day one of training.

I am concerned in the short to intermediate term for my own seniority but probably the bigger long term threat to this company is the culture when we bring on a group of pilots that may share Crash's "what's so special?" questions.

The culture is hustling whenever possible, pulling diapers out of seatbacks when necessary to quickly clean a cabin, pushing wheelchairs to get boarding done quickly, throwing bags because the rampers got slammed with a bunch of arrivals, diverts, etc. If you don't enjoy giving/receiving a smile or a kind "how you doing?" from CSAs, Ops Agents, Rampers, MX guys--this is not the place for you.

Servant's Heart, Fun-loving attitude, WARRIOR SPIRIT. If these values sound trite, naive, stupid, etc--please, please stay away--go elsewhere.

Crashpad,

The culture is evident from day one of the interview. Of all the highly qualified candidates that show up, those that cannot smile, carry on a pleasant, honest conversation or jump on board the "whatever it takes to get the job done" train are quickly eliminated. Also eliminated are those that doubt the culture.

Many on this board have taken offense at such words as "staple, winning the lottery and lucky." People simply don't get it until they come on board. Those "offensive" words all describe how each of us felt on day one of training. Former astronauts, Air Tran Captains and Captains from other acquired airlines have partied like rock stars on day one of training.

I am concerned in the short to intermediate term for my own seniority but probably the bigger long term threat to this company is the culture when we bring on a group of pilots that may share Crash's "what's so special?" questions.

The culture is hustling whenever possible, pulling diapers out of seatbacks when necessary to quickly clean a cabin, pushing wheelchairs to get boarding done quickly, throwing bags because the rampers got slammed with a bunch of arrivals, diverts, etc. If you don't enjoy giving/receiving a smile or a kind "how you doing?" from CSAs, Ops Agents, Rampers, MX guys--this is not the place for you.

Servant's Heart, Fun-loving attitude, WARRIOR SPIRIT. If these values sound trite, naive, stupid, etc--please, please stay away--go elsewhere.

Dragon,
I can assure that a large majority of AAI pilots do all those things including myself. We all strive to take care of our customers. I think that because we have a bad relationship with or previous management that people think we have the same relationship our customers. I can assure you that is not the case. We have won several awards for customer service and such in spite of our poor relationship with management. This is because we care about our company, our customers, and each other. We truly are not that different. A lot of mud slinging has taken place on this board but all in all we are the same. I for one look forward to becoming part of the LUV team and will always go the extra mile to take care of me pax and crews. Please remember that it is a small minority on this forum and most just want to gitr done and move on.

things at swa are changing, and fast, no question about it. what we do still have though is very good. i believe what you are seeing is nothing different that what you see in a family, i may talk smack about my cousin or uncle, but you can't. you talk smack about them and you're not dealing with them, you're dealing with the family.

i'm not a koolaid drinker but prob a sipper. i have friends at AA and delta, they don't like anyone, period. not saying everyone over there is like that, just like there are guys here that pretty much hate everyone. what other airline signed a 10 yr (or something like that, don't remember the exact number right now) contract? kelleher is no less shrewd than crandall was, except...herb's word could be trusted. hence the labor/mgmt bond was created. we don't have herb but mr kelly, i'm cautiously optimistic about how much he has our, current swa pilot's, backs. i'm sorry if you think we are just like everyone else, you are free to leave aai (i KNOW this is going to get flamed) before you come to swa, i have friends at aai right now, they are happy with the pay increase they may be getting, but they HATE their mgmt.

patiently holding my koolaid filled extinguisher.

Wow, dragontamer. You're a stud.

dragontamer;2173696 [COLOR=black said:
The culture is hustling whenever possible, pulling diapers out of seatbacks when necessary to quickly clean a cabin, pushing wheelchairs to get boarding done quickly, throwing bags because the rampers got slammed with a bunch of arrivals, diverts, etc.

Wow, now that's something for professional pilots to be proud of ! Cleaning cabins, pulling diapers. Is this what you guys paid your dues for ? Served your country, invested thousands of dollars in your degrees, starved as CFI's and commuter pilots ? You will ask me "what's wrong" with an airline pilot doing the things above ? I will say A LOT ! You do it once, you do it all the time, set the example that you are willing to load bags or clean the aircraft just because your airline is not willing to staff it properly. You think you are doing your company a favor by going the extra mile ? I bet your bosses look out the window and laugh at you, seeing where they got you to and what you are willing to do with all your degrees and tens of thousand of flight hours in your log books - all in the name of "culture" and other kool aid (and this is not trying to degrade all the staff that is being PAID to clean and load airplanes). For many years airline pilots have taken and continue to take the biggest hits in this industry. We lost careers, money, retirements and in many cases the respect of the traveling public; we are nothing but laughing figures for both the management and our passengers. Pulling diapers will not get this respect back ! Btw. this is not only aimed at WN; pilots cleaning and loading aircraft is becoming a regular feature on most US airlines ! .... I am willingly accepting any bashing (take your hits).
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
I haven't flown with any other carrier than SWA. I went there straight from the military. So all I can offer is what I hear from my buds at other carriers. The following is the difference, from what I hear from them: 1. Nobody really complains much about the company or our union. We have issues from time to time, but overall, SWA and the union work really hard at keeping us (the workers) happy. Our union does not have an (us vs them) mentality. They are "in bed" with the company, and most seem to like it that way. 2. All work groups seem to get along. We chat with the rampers, ops agents, and help each other out when we can. I will push wheel chairs, carry stollers down to the baggage handlers or up from the ramp, etc. 3. We (the crew) hang out together after hours. Some pursue hanky-panky, others just like being sociable over a few beers and dinner. We usually stay until last call and some times move it to a room party if its a fun bunch. If this sounds the same as your company, then you won't notice much of a difference and the two companies should blend well.

Yes, but are you Houston based? Do you make out with the 3 G's like SWA/FO? Maybe Redflyer does? That sounds like a blast. Frat party!!!

OYS

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back