SWA culture!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crash Pad

Since Southwest has purchased my airline I have had to hear no less than one billion times about the amazing culture at Southwest. I did my homework and read the book Nuts.

The topic of seniority integration has come up and I thought with all that culture we would see the first super culture seniority integration. I thought it would be fast and painless. I guess I'm a little surprised. It turns out Southwest pilots are like any other pilot group. I don't see them as any different from the least cultured pilots: the world renowned USAir group.

The poor airmanship of Southwest has also allowed us to see what they do on an average trip. It turns out they have the same conversation that we have all had every trip of our careers. Why god can't I get one hot flight attendant on a long overnight? I foolishly thought the super cultured, culture pros, of the SWA flight deck would say things like: "that Edith sure can get people boarded despite her age".

So can some SWA guys chime in and explain to me what the SWA culture means as a pilot? Do I pick up more open time? Do I talk more with the customers? Do I make it work when my numbers are a little off? What do I do to be a more "cultured"?

I'm starting to think you are the same as every pilot group just with a slightly better contract.

Crashpad you win. The Southwest pilots suck! The Southwest workplace sucks! Avoid it at all costs! You should quit AAI and apply at Delta so you can fly with truely cultured guys like OYS and General Lee.

Last edited:
Since Southwest has purchased my airline I have had to hear no less than one billion times about the amazing culture at Southwest. I did my homework and read the book Nuts.

The topic of seniority integration has come up and I thought with all that culture we would see the first super culture seniority integration. I thought it would be fast and painless. I guess I'm a little surprised. It turns out Southwest pilots are like any other pilot group. I don't see them as any different from the least cultured pilots: the world renowned USAir group.

The poor airmanship of Southwest has also allowed us to see what they do on an average trip. It turns out they have the same conversation that we have all had every trip of our careers. Why god can't I get one hot flight attendant on a long overnight? I foolishly thought the super cultured, culture pros, of the SWA flight deck would say things like: "that Edith sure can get people boarded despite her age".

So can some SWA guys chime in and explain to me what the SWA culture means as a pilot? Do I pick up more open time? Do I talk more with the customers? Do I make it work when my numbers are a little off? What do I do to be a more "cultured"?

I'm starting to think you are the same as every pilot group just with a slightly better contract.

Of course they are. There is not one pilot group working for any legacy carrier that is any better than any other. Just a bunch of egos like to think differently.

I haven't flown with any other carrier than SWA. I went there straight from the military. So all I can offer is what I hear from my buds at other carriers. The following is the difference, from what I hear from them: 1. Nobody really complains much about the company or our union. We have issues from time to time, but overall, SWA and the union work really hard at keeping us (the workers) happy. Our union does not have an (us vs them) mentality. They are "in bed" with the company, and most seem to like it that way. 2. All work groups seem to get along. We chat with the rampers, ops agents, and help each other out when we can. I will push wheel chairs, carry stollers down to the baggage handlers or up from the ramp, etc. 3. We (the crew) hang out together after hours. Some pursue hanky-panky, others just like being sociable over a few beers and dinner. We usually stay until last call and some times move it to a room party if its a fun bunch. If this sounds the same as your company, then you won't notice much of a difference and the two companies should blend well.

Last edited:
This is airline #8 for me. The biggest difference that I noticed, right away and now, is when you walk into a crew room, the conversation is not about how somebody got hosed by the company etc., but about new boats, houses, cars, boobs for the wife, etc.

We've got our issues (see the latest news) but it's still a HUGE difference from everywhere else I worked.

Every employee group has a few "standout" bad apples, or guys who said or did something they should have kept to themselves. This instance in no way reflects the vast majority of the employees at WN. This is my third airline, including USAir and I have been pleasantly suprised and appreciative of how well things work here overall. Don't let this one instance reflect on the Southwest as a whole. It's a very good place to work, moneywise, quality of lifewise, and with mostly excellent employee/employee relations.

Southwest's BS is the same as any other airline...they just dress it up as "family Values" better than any other airline. In the end they are all just drinking the kool aid.

Culture - pulling the rope together as one unit for the benefit of all.

Gup

Hopefully the MC's can utilize this "culture" and then get both leaderships on board with promoting it amongst the ranks. Thanks for the insight Gup.

Latest resources

Back