SWA Contract - How good is it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justin15e

I'm curious. What are some of the things that make the SWA contract so good when compared to other airlines contracts?

In addition, is SWA currently in contract negotiations with a new contract? If so, what's the status on a new contract?

It's not any different. Maybe a little less restrictions on what scheduling can do but they rarely screw anyone around so it's a pretty good give and take. It does happen though. I have heard some wild scheduling stories but I believe half of them. We do have our 1% who bitch and moan but most of them have never seen what it's like at other airlines. They are probably on PPlum right now complaining that have to swap aircraft a couple times a trip. It's sad that they are around.

Sounds like the new contract is going to be much about SCOPE. Lots of rumors around about code sharing and stagnating our growth. It's making everyone a bit tense.

Last edited:
So, if you say that the new contract will be mostly about scope, are there any plans for a B plan retirement or any pay increases? I know SWA is currently industry leading in regards to pay with pax carriers, but that doesn't mean they aren't still behind FDX or UPS in regards to pay and benefits. Again, I'm just curious since another site I read the contract was ammendable 2 years ago.

Justin,

There's ALWAYS talk about what benefits are being negotiated in our contract. I'd be SHOCKED to see anything beyond a cost of living raise with regard to pay.

With regard to retirement, we are looking for improvements, but not necessarily a "B-plan." We already get a 7.3% match on our 401k - so that's very comparable with any B-plan out there.

If you meant A-plan, neither side is interested in a Pension.

Profitsharing historically made up the difference in retirement, but as those margins get thinner, the difference is more difficult.

Look for enhancements to our scheduling section (reserves especially), COLA, and perhaps an extra couple percent in our retirement + profitsharing.

fate

Lots of rumors around about code sharing and stagnating our growth. It's making everyone a bit tense.

???????

Perhaps u have been hanging around PPrune?? I have never heard so little re: a contract in my career here. That being said it is shocking to me the little discussion re: the codeshare and "stagnant" growth. I for one think this is a threat to future growth/upgrades.

You probably are not hearing much because 95% of the pilots are quite happy.

Happy or clueless? A vast majority of our pilots have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to the threat of codeshare and scope. Westjet is just the beginning. The union refuses to show us the T/A on the new scope/codeshare... even though they say the company is honoring it with the Westjet deal. We'll have a new contract by the end of the 2Q09 if we're lucky.

Happy or clueless? A vast majority of our pilots have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to the threat of codeshare and scope. Westjet is just the beginning. The union refuses to show us the T/A on the new scope/codeshare... even though they say the company is honoring it with the Westjet deal. We'll have a new contract by the end of the 2Q09 if we're lucky.

So are they hinting at outsourcing your jobs to the codesharing partners...type of thing?

Justin,

With regard to retirement, we are looking for improvements, but not necessarily a "B-plan." We already get a 7.3% match on our 401k - so that's very comparable with any B-plan out there.

fate

Really? Ual =16% no match AA= 10% + A plan
even AWA =10%

Isn't UAL's B-plan 9%? They have a C plan of 7% and "profitsharing" but we have profit sharing too.

If you want to compare the ENTIRE retirement picture:

401k Match = 7.3%
Profitsharing average = 7-8%

So we average about 15% of our earnings while other groups have better or worse combinations of Bplan/401k/profitsharing/pensions

Is 15% not competitive?

-fate

Latest resources

Back