• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Continues Hiring; 350 Pilots in 2008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Upgrade time right now is around 6.5 years for guys who are upgrading right now. SWAPA is calling for just over a six year upgrade for me without age 65 going into effect. The guys who are trying to sell age 65 projected that age 65 would add about 2 yrs to our upgrade time (believing those guys is like believing a used car salesman). So, I figure: add a couple of years for the slowdown in growth and impending recession as well as probably more like 3 or 4 years added on for age 65, and I am easily looking at a 10+ year upgrade time at SWA.

Upgrade time right now is around 6.5 years for guys who are upgrading right now. SWAPA is calling for just over a six year upgrade for me without age 65 going into effect. The guys who are trying to sell age 65 projected that age 65 would add about 2 yrs to our upgrade time (believing those guys is like believing a used car salesman). So, I figure: add a couple of years for the slowdown in growth and impending recession as well as probably more like 3 or 4 years added on for age 65, and I am easily looking at a 10+ year upgrade time at SWA.

The swapa calculator (traditionally pretty accurate) has me upgrading at 5yr9mo to 6yr1mo with the slow down. Guys upgrading now had a little longer in the left seat due to the hiring freeze of 02-03.

The slow down is a plan, just like buying every 737 in the world was a plan. Plans change and will multiple times over the next few years.

Count on that and NOTHING else.

Last edited:
it is currently 25 years to upgrade at SWA, we are going to be declaring bankruptcy tomorrow, and we only go to LBB and MAF while working 10 legs a day! Yes, the sky is falling! When can I resign?

When they give an approximate number for the year, that includes the poolies. The number they give is the number of people that they will train for the year. As always, they are very flexable with their plans. They can start or stop on a dime.

AA-16
DL-9
UA-10
NW-9
US-18
UPS-7
FDX-6

But considering SWA is the only one hiring since 911 in any consistent manner and is a growth carrier, 10-15 years is far different than the above list.

Every left seat at SWA is currently being flown by a captain who had less than four years at the company prior to upgrading.

To bad all those quick upgrades don't care about the next generation. They got theirs and everyone else is to bad so sad.

You are very misinformed. CA upgrade now is 6.5 years. Projections for new hire is about 8 - 9 years. IMO, I'd rather be in the right seat here for that time, then where you are. I fly with folks that are happy & smiling versus angry and bitter.

BTW, I'd love to correct your grammar, but then you might be a little more bitter than you are now...maybe not possible

it is currently 25 years to upgrade at SWA, we are going to be declaring bankruptcy tomorrow, and we only go to LBB and MAF while working 10 legs a day! Yes, the sky is falling! When can I resign?

Better watch what you make fun of. Close sources state we are looking at a first quarter loss in 08'.

If things don't change now the sky will be falling.

Better watch what you make fun of. Close sources state we are looking at a first quarter loss in 08'.

If things don't change now the sky will be falling.

"Close sources"?

You are full of it. Ignore him.

Latest resources

Back