SWA Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rob,

Your gouge always seems to be right on, but I just can't (won't) believe that it's that bad. Why did they interview so many people just to add them to a hiring pool? There has to be a plan hidden somewhere that utilizes all the pilots that they've hired since January. I know SWA is conservative with regards to growth but no classes in August is not enough to make me believe I might not be on property (along with everyone else) until the end of 2003 (I think I'm 137 on our current list). I'll remain positive until somebody calls to give me bad news.

Good Luck All,
shootr

:confused:

Mr. Beeks:

I've been a quiet observer of all the SW Related Threads and have been informed/misinformed at times.

However, your last comment probably has thrown me into a grave yard spiral. I'm quite surprised/taken back on what I believe the new pool numbers you have quoted are???

Did I miscalculate your latest numbers as being in the neighborhood of four to five hundred???

WOW!!! If that is in fact the new projection...

I am at a loss for sure than.

I am listed as Jimmy in the SWA Pool List published on this website. If I did not type until April than I'd be looking at about Four-Fiftyish???

Please say it aint so.

Additionally, what are the details and eligibility of the program you spoke of... EO Scholarhip Program?

I have several friends that spoke rumors of such a program, where would one find info of such a program??

Thanks in advance!

Please straighten me out on your estimated pool size.

Jimmy

Pool Numbers?

Rob Beeks/chase/MLBWINGBORN:

I've asked JB how many people are in the pool. She told me they didn't track that information. I took that response to mean she wasn't going to give out that information so I didn't press the issue. Do either of you know how many pilots are in the "typed" hiring pool? How many are in the "non-typed" hiring pool? Why would SWA continue to interview/hire pilots after September 11, 2001, unless there are plans for expansion/hiring? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Can you please, if you can and are able to, shed some light on this for us? Thanks in advance for your response and for your posts. Fly safe!

:cool:

Holy Shnikeeees!!!!

Holy Shnikeeees!!!

I'm not even in the pool. I guess that Home Depot job is not a temp job anymore. Can anyone say, "I need clean up in the Home and Garden section!!!". Ya'll take care and fly safe,

BN

PS - Could one of ya'll steer me towards a good temp job in Denver? I've got a guard job on the side. Sure appreciate it.

In some ways worse that RB stated

RB stated
"SWA had roughly 200 folks in the pool prior to interviewing in January. SWA interviewed over 800 people in the months of January-March. They also interviewed a small number of folks in April in conjunction with the equal opportunity type rating scholarship program. This unprecented interviewing added another 350-400 folks to the hired pool.

I know you guys keep up with the SWA class schedule, so you probably already figured out that 200 new hires started class in 2002 (including the July class)."

Unfortunatly this is not entirely correct - the last person out of the pool entered it in late October. There are still two months of 2001 poolies to go. My guess is that the pool was 300+ on 01 Jan 02.

To those inclined to grasp at straws let me sugest that there is no master plan at SWA that involves draining the pool. Maybe they interviewed and "hired" all of us "just in case". It doesn't cost very much to fill the pool, and when they do expand that is one thing they don't need to worry about - that doesn't imply an impending explosion of growth, just that they are keeping their options open.

Although I am less informed than RB, I am less pessimistic - I think there will still be classes in 02. But I think there is not a soul alive who knows how many or when. My guess is the pool will probably continue to slow leak until just before every one recalls.

Think of it this way; the ideal time to swing at a pitch is before the ball is over the plate, but after it has left the pitcher's hand. It would be great if the training center was running full tilt right now, but obviously someone doesn't think it is justified.

For what it is worth I think that when good news starts flowing out of DAL it will be unexpected, fast, and before it happens anywhere else.

Keep the faith

"for Auir"

PS I am just a caveman, so don't put too much faith in my opinion.

THIS BLOWS

Holy crap batman,

OK.... I have never gone through or been a part of Pilot Contract Negotiations at a major airline. Therefore, I cannot give a very accurate opinion. So can anyone explain to this board why the SWA pilot contract extention vote will have NO affect on the future growth of Southwest?

I guess I was WAY off base thinking the contract extention would encourage growth at SWA.

:confused:

JUST A SHOT IN THE DARK FROM MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE...

:eek:

I'VE HEARD A LOT OF THINGS FLOATING AROUND ON THESE THREADS AND WHILE FLYING THE LINE AT MY CURRENT 121 JOB.

I HONESTLY BELIEVE ANY AIRLINE THINKING ABOUT EXPANSION PLANS NEEDS TO CONSIDER HOW MUCH IT WILL COST TO STAFF THE AIRPLANES, SINCE IT ENCOMPASSES ONE OF TWO OF THE BIGGEST EXPENDITURES AN AIRLINE MUST ACCOUNT FOR.

MAYBE, THE SMART FOLKS IN MANAGEMENT ARE JUST TRYING TO EMPHASIZE TO THE PILOT GROUP HOW IMPORTANT IT IS FOR THEM TO AGREE TO THE "NEW DEAL."

YOU SEE, IF THE COMPANY PAINTS A GRIMMER PICTURE OF ZERO EXPANSION, (LEAKS OF NO NEW PILOT CLASSES AND PARKING AIRCRAFT IN THE DESERT OR STOPPING CURRENT DELIVERIES), THEY COULD EASILY MAKE IT MORE CLEAR HOW IMPORTANT IT IS FOR THE RANK AND FILE PILOTS. WHILE THE GRIM PICTURE IS PAINTED FOR THE EMPLOYEES, THE COMPETITORS DO NOT FEEL THREATENED.

NOW, THAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE PLAN ALL ALONG, HOWEVER. THE CURRENT ECONOMY IS STILL SLIDING AND COMPETITION IS STILL DROPPING FARES IN SOUTHWEST STRONGHOLDS (IE: JETBLUE IN CA). MAYBE, THINGS ARE TURNING GRIM FOR REAL. AT LEAST, FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW. SITTING IN A LARGE LUKE WARM POOL.

NOW, FROM MY SIDE OF THE DEEP END WHILE TRYING TO KEEP MY HEAD ABOVE WATER, I WOULD PREFER MANAGEMENT TO STOP ANY GROWTH IF THE INDUSTRY WILL NOT SUPPORT EXPANSION. LET'S HOPE THEY FORTIFY ALL THEIR CURRENT ROUTES AND REMAIN HEALTHY! IT'S BETTER TO WAIT A YEAR FOR A CLASS WITH A HEALTHY AIRLINE, THEN TO JUMP INTO A SINKING SHIP AND BE FURLOUGHED LIKE THE REST.

JUST MY TWO CENTS GUYS!

32 years of success....

I have give my opinion..... when I picked SWA as the ONLY airline I applied to, the decision came from months of research and deep soul searching.

One of the main reasons for my choice was the awesome management and UNREAL track record of this airline.

Bottom line for me is close to jimEJet's post. I have to trust and put faith in the able hands of those who have made SWA what it is today.... yea - it "BLOWS" to have to continue "hold SE of the drain, left turns, leg lengths at your discretion". But I will gladly wait a few more months to know that I am coming in at the bottom of a senoirity list at a healthy company, not one that was overly aggresive at the wrong time.

Thank goodnes we are in the darn pool - at least the next call we get will be to exit holding and proceed direct to DAL!!!!

Have a GREAT weekend, I think I'll go drink some Wild Turkey and dream about flying the line..... someday we will, just not today.

Best Wishes to all.... Tredding

I have great confidence in SWA like a few of the above posts. 32 years of success is enough for me. I know the wait is hard especially for you folks without a job.

For me, and all the others that have been fortunate enough to hang on to a flying job, I appreciate their caution. In the pool for the greatest company on the planet and have a steady paycheck is just fine by me. When the time is right, we will all get to big D and I know that it will be well worth the wait.

Hang in there everybody. It may come sonner than we all think!!!
:D

Oak

Now that I'm over the nausea after reading today's little tid bit of information:

For those of us not fortunate enough to wait this out at another flying job I was wondering if any SWA people happen to know where the company stands on the issue of currency. I know many of the poolies are ex-military or furloughees who are not currently flying. The people dept. has been non-commital on this issue when I've asked before. I'd hate for the next call to be, "Well since you haven't been flying..." You can fill in the rest.

I do agree with the above sentiments about waiting and starting with a healthy company. Nevertheless, it doesn't make this news any easier. Looks like 1st quarter of 2003... anyone care to wager?

Regards,
RightBettor

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back