SWA Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, the company manages it's pilot demographics very well.

I think in 10 years as all these airlines reach a natural ebb and flow of new hires and retiree's, we'll get a better picture of who goes where. Until then, it would be better for a youngen to head over to DAL and ride that train, as SWA has a 15 year backlog of deadwood to clear before they see the light of upgrade.

SWA is now a legacy with all the legacy baggage, to include a union refusing to back right of return for forced moves like every other union so the senior can keep vacation poaching at the expense of the juniority.

Of course, that could change with one real bankruptcy...

That was my thought taking the job at 48 years of age. But when you hit roughly 5 years here making 150K plus, sitting right seat with a good schedule, the capt upgrade isn't as important, especially if you've been there done that at a former job for 11 years. Just sayin

I agree, still the best job in the business, upgrade or no upgrade...fifth year, big # showed 143, (which is still more than most captains elsewhere), work 13 to 14 days a month...I've been elsewhere, I know!

ACP told me they (the GO) are planning on guys leaving to chase upgrade elsewhere, I laughed and said "I hope they're senior to me!" (not for upgrade but for bidding power!)

I know a girl left for UPS right after I got here, she's on furlough, the grass is never greener (if you are senior to me disregard that last statement, the grass is wonderful everywhere else!)

Later,
KBB

It's a win-win for SWA. With the retired military O-4 (Major or Lt. Commander) and O-5 (Lt. Colonel and Commander) they get a 42-44 year old already bringing in between $3,500-3,900/month in retainer (even retired military are still on retainer until 60 when they become fully retired). That same individual as a 5 year SWA FO in their upper 40's will now be bringing in close to $200K per year combined assuming COLAs are still being paid out by Uncle Sam. Pretty sweet gig and good for SWA as they now have someone who probably will not want to rock the boat.

Are you guys really trying to say that a military pilot will be more content in the RIGHT seat than a civilian???

It's a win-win for SWA. With the retired military O-4 (Major or Lt. Commander) and O-5 (Lt. Colonel and Commander) they get a 42-44 year old already bringing in between $3,500-3,900/month in retainer (even retired military are still on retainer until 60 when they become fully retired). That same individual as a 5 year SWA FO in their upper 40's will now be bringing in close to $200K per year combined assuming COLAs are still being paid out by Uncle Sam. Pretty sweet gig and good for SWA as they now have someone who probably will not want to rock the boat.

Wait a minute. So you are saying a millitary pilot will not rock the boat? LMAO! If so lets pay them less and give the civy guy more, then no one will rock the boat. I have a lot of mil friends and they can rock the boat more than anyone.LOL!

That was my thought taking the job at 48 years of age. But when you hit roughly 5 years here making 150K plus, sitting right seat with a good schedule, the capt upgrade isn't as important, especially if you've been there done that at a former job for 11 years. Just sayin

Not gonna debate the mil vs civ stuff, but I'd love to hear from you after 5 years and find out what you think then? Hopefully, you still have that good attitude looking up at 15+ more ahead in the right seat. Another possible potential mistake (hopefully not!) is thinking the right seat will forever pay this awesome. Things are changing at Swa and a lot of us are not as confident in the airline's future anymore.

I agree, still the best job in the business, upgrade or no upgrade...fifth year, big # showed 143, (which is still more than most captains elsewhere), work 13 to 14 days a month...I've been elsewhere, I know!

ACP told me they (the GO) are planning on guys leaving to chase upgrade elsewhere, I laughed and said "I hope they're senior to me!" (not for upgrade but for bidding power!)

I know a girl left for UPS right after I got here, she's on furlough, the grass is never greener (if you are senior to me disregard that last statement, the grass is wonderful everywhere else!)

Later,
KBB
Typical thinking at UAL in 2000.

chris69...retired officers get "retired" pay...not "retainer" pay.

From the pay and benefits site:
"For Navy and Marine Corps members, you are considered to be a "retired member" for classification purposes if you are an enlisted member with over 30 years service, or a warrant or commissioned officer.

Enlisted Navy and Marine Corps members with less than 30 years service are transferred to the Fleet Reserve/Fleet Marine Corps Reserve and their pay is referred to as "retainer pay".

Air Force and Army members with over 20 years service are all classified as retired, and receive retired pay."

Latest resources

Back