Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Juvat

Used Register
I'm in the SWA pool and don't really know when my class date will be (despite some very good speculation and educated guesses on this board--impressive!)

I am concerned about my pregnant wife who could potentially have a baby during my SWA training. Her past history of early deliveries (ie: rather unpredictable due date), coupled with a still unknown class date, make this a little tricky.

My question is for you guys who have already been through class: what provisions, if any, does SWA make for a new employee in training to run home on short notice for a baby's birth? I don't expect to get several days off--all I would need is about 2 days to make sure all is well, do the handoff to my mother-in-law, then hustle back to class. Would this cause an insurmountable break in training? Have you seen/heard of this situation with any other new hires?

Any inputs would be appreciated!

Not sure this helps, do not work for SWA, however, if what I have learned about them is true, it will not be a problem to get off.

They seem like they value their employees and so they would probably be more than understanding of your "happy" problem. Heck, I am and I don't even know you:)

As always in these things, be honest, give a heads up and things will work out great.

P.S. Congrats with both!

Southwest is a poeple friendly airline. They will bend over backwards to do what is needed for there employess and I speak of this from my own personal experiances. I wouldnt worry about it and go to class the first opportunity you get. If you need to leave to attend family matters they will get you there ASAP. See you on the line. ;)

Juvat,

A couple of options & I'll list them in order of preference:

1. Let the PD know your wife's due date & have them schedule you for a class after that date. With classes being every 2 weeks, delaying your class for the peace of mind knowing everything is taken care of would be the best for you, your wife/new born & SWA..

This would allow for the fewest number of interruption options that might occur with an early delivery.

2. If you take the first available & realize you will be in class during her pregnancy but the due date is beyond your expected completion date, notify them immediately upon your arrival of the situation to keep them abreast of the situation. You don't plan on being gone during the training since the due date is beyond but you & SWA are prepared in case something does happen. This has happened in the past & they will work with you I'm sure.

3. If you offered a class date that is inclusive of your wife's due date, I would describe the situation to the PD & ask their advice at the time when you're on the phone. Jointly come up with a decision, i.e. go to class & be prepared to miss some when the date comes, start with the next class, etc.

Again I would emphasize to do what is fair for you & the company. It is in your best interest & your family IMHO to minimize distractions from the goal at hand, helping your wife & focusing completely on your new training. The last thing you would want is to stumble through training because of distractions caused by such a wonderful event as having a child. You're in the luxurious position to have a great job coming your way & a gift from God...enjoy them both & make time in your life for both experiences....combining them all together for the sake of a few seniority numbers isn't worth the risk of tainting either event.

Again, only one person's opinion...without knowing the timing of the date or your class date the variables are pretty huge....the BEST PEOPLE TO ASK ARE THE PEOPLE DEPARTMENT!!! They'll work with you & your wife to help get you both settled into SWA.

I do understand the medical insurance aspect of the issue also...being on property allows this costs to be eased dramatically. No health insurance would cause me to significantly rethink my answer so unless that is a factor, I'd stick with my original order of suggestions....good luck, congrats to you & your wife on the birth & on coming to SWA.....hopefully it will be soon enough prior to the birth to get her to the new hire 2 day trip for the wives...very informative & educational. God Bless,

Congratulations on Juvat junior.

Being a Dad is much more cool than being a pilot.

enigma

I'll make you a deal, I'll take youre class and then you can have mine!!
I'm not sure when mine will be, but I'm sure they will tell me after the interview....then again, I'm not sure when the interview will be!

Take the earliest class available. Advise them of your situation, but don't imply that you would rather wait for a later class date. Seniority is everything and they will work with you if your wife has the baby early.

This place if awesome. I got a hand written note from Colleen congratulating me on our new baby 6 months before I even worked for SWA. (my wife was already an employee) During class we had breakfast with Colleen and she remembered and asked about the baby. (As she was hugging me she said) "We have always felt like you were part of the family (since your wife works here) but now it is official. Welcome to the family." Where else do you get that kind of treatment. (I'm sure there are other places and if your are lucky enough to work at one you better stay put, otherwise get over here as soon as possible.)

Don't worry about possibly missing a day or two of class. Get your seniority number and get on the books with our insurance. (The insurance is great BTW. Costs us a couple of hundred dollars for the whole deal and an emergency c-section. Hospital stay included.)

Good luck and hope to see your name on the seniorty list sooner rather than later.

Juvat,

I used to handle the new hire pilots for SWAPA (the pilot union). In the time I was doing that we had more than a few situations that pop up like yours.

You'll have to reschedule the arrival of your baby. Kidding!

The last situation I was involved with was last winter when ice shut down BWI. We had a new hire that was stranded at the airport and missed the first couple of days because he physically couldn't get to Dallas.

Poor guy was a heart attack in progress. The training department was completely understanding. I met with him the night he arrived and covered all the stuff I do with the class and bought him a couple of beers to settle his nerves. All worked out fine.

My advice would be to look at your specific situation. I would definitely make all attempts to going to class on your original start date. Like one of the guys said, seniority is everything. You may not appreciate that now, but trust me, you will.

First things first though, I'm assuming you have all the details taken care of. IE, your wife has family and such so she's not alone?

Don't worry. You're heading for two increadible events.

Latest resources

Back