Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16TJ

Elated Member
Question for the SWA pilots out there...

Since the -200's are going, going, almost gone; does SWA care if the type is in a -200, a -300 EFIS, or -300 Non-EFIS? Looking at getting my type this summer and just wondering what the best option would be. The -200 type is going cheaper since the -200 is sunsetting at SWA.

Also, is there any preference between Higher Power and K & S for the type rating?

Out...

A 737 rating is just that. It says B-737 on your certificate. It doesn't matter what you earn it in. The airline will train you to their standards. Don't spend extra for the -300.

A B737 type does not specify the specific model of 737, Whether you get the type ride on a 200 or on a 500, you'r license will state the same B-737..........Save you'r money and go the 200 way.;)

Sory for the redundancy of the above post.... I was a bit slow submitting it.:rolleyes:

Higher Power seems to have some influence in the SW HR dept.

Last edited:
go to HPA

F16TJ,

This question has come up many times before on this site. Both places are highly recommended by folks who have attended both schools. I went to HPA (I'm very biased) and I could not recommend it any more to anyone. In fact, if you were my friend I would make you go there...
In my opinion, if you are getting the type rating because you want to go to Southwest then you should definitely go to HPA. The PD goes to HPA on Fridays and you will get to meet some of them if you have not already. I also got a tour of SWA by one of our instructors during my training and that was a highlight for me. The quality of the people and training at HPA is remarkable and I guarantee you it will be an unforgettable experience for you.

F16TJ

SWA doesn't care what version of the 737 you get your type in so choose whatever program suits you best. I work at SWA & know many who have had both & the selection process has zero to do with that. In terms of training & if it is easier once hired, most folks can't recall much anyway so again your decision on schools should be based on other factors in my opinion.

K&S do a great job from all reports. Run by two SWA Capts w/SWA flows. Haven't been there but their reputation is good.

Higher Power Aviation (HPA) I'll caveat it by saying I work there on occasion & have nothing but high praise for Mark, Joe & their group of instructors. I will highlight some things they offer that sets them apart.

1. It isn't just a type school. It is a place that you will meet folks, have relationships with & will continue to stay in touch with years after leaving. They are much more than a type school.

2. Southwest folks do come out periodically to HPA to talk about the hiring process & other aspects about flt ops. This goes on during most classes & can be useful in getting some questions answered from the folks who know. Southwest chooses candidates from all type schools (I got mine from neither of these places but would recommend HPA over my other school with no reservations!).

3. Followup training & job search. Mark & Joe allow not just HPA grads but any SWA new hire to audit their course for free at anytime. Folks who have been out of the plane for awhile & wish to come early & review the systems before starting SWA ground school are encouraged to take advantage of this great deal. Job search. HPA puts out a 6 times a year newsletter via e-mail/web that provides great info on airlines/flight operations hirings for pilot openings. I know of no one other than Air Inc that does that.

4. Quality training bar none. For exmilitary guy like me, I needed that. Yes I prepared but the instructors are first rate (except for me) so it will match or exceed anything you had in the military in my opinion.

Private message me if you have further questions. glad to help, as an ex-mud driver I appreciate the callsign, good luck

I completely second chase's info. I got my type at HPA, and was very blessed to get my training there. Great folks...went out of their way to ensure our needs were met. They also really helped some of the other students with their schedules, allowing them to complete their training in nonconsecutive weeks due to difficulties in getting two weeks off from their employers.

One of my Southwest "mentors" got his type at K&S, and he had many good things to say about them, so I'm sure they are a good type school as well. For myself, I'm thankful I went to HPA.

Dear Board Members,

Here is a little tougher question about the 737 Type for our SWA pilots from a SWA wanna-be:

I have the "Limitation" of 'CIRC. APCH. -VMC ONLY' on my 73 type. The SWA application question asks if you have an "Un-restricted" 737 type? I answered I did not, deciding to err on the side of caution. Would someone that got their type through USAir please comment if this "limitation" was a factor.

Thanks.

GVEtrucker

:confused:

limitation

This part of original post removed because I didn't know what I was talking about!

I got my type rating at Crew Pilot Training (CPT) in Houston. Their program is small, we only had 3 in our class, and they used the sim and classroom at the Continental training facility there at the airport (IAH). It was only 12 days (some are 14) and the sim (-300) times weren't too bad, about 5am shows as I recall. The cost was competitive and they had a pretty good deal at a close by hotel as well. They can also provide air travel if necessary, I drove over instead. Overall it was a good course and is certainly worth a look when comparing facilities/companies for the type.

And in case anybody was wondering, I would definitely recommend getting the type for anybody who is sitting on the fence. Having the type when I interviewed would have saved me at least a year in the pool. I know the cost hurts (I had to pay for it myself also) but if you are serious about a job with Southwest you owe it to yourself to make the investment in your future NOW. Imagine what one extra year of flying for SW as a Captain after 20 years of so would be worth compared to the 6-8 grand the type costs. That 6-8 grand will be worth 250-300K if it saves you a year in the pool.

FJ

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions for the past HPA grads.

I'm starting my type next monday at HPA.

1. Amerisuites or Holiday Inn.

2. On the memeory items. Do they want them verbatim? For example.

Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation:

THRUST LEVER CLOSE
START LEVER CUTOFF
ENGINE FIRE SWITCH PULL

To manually unlock the Enigine Fire Warning Switch, press the override and pull.

I know that is only a little bit, but do they want all what if instructions verbatim?

If your confused, PM me.

Later

Latest resources

Back