SWA / B737 Type Training ???'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA Circling

You bet SWA circles. Was a rev self loading cargo piece back in Aug when some numnut didn't clear the runway fast enough at MSY forcing us to go around. Nice job of circling to land opposite direction over the very dark lake late at night.

Out...

One word of advise: Do Not go to Aeroservice. If you do: 1)Hopefully you have tons of time in the 737 2) God help you!!!!

I was able to talk to some SWA PD people recently and the quote directly from them when asked this question was "our advice is to go where it is cheapest. A type rating is a type rating, and it costs a lot of money.."

By the way, I went to Aeroservice and had no problems with them. The only guy in my class of 6 who had trouble was a complete incompetent who was as F'd up as hogan's goat. He was sent home after his pre-oral and didn't even make it to the sims. (Sim money was refunded) The rest of us finished in 17 days, no extra times. It was over $1000 cheaper than HPA and included lodging. Well worth it in my book.

"737tanker
Yes SWA does circling approaches, but we need a 1000' ceiling & 3 miles vis.

Great! Thanks 737tanker. Now I have to go update my application.

GVEtrucker

Circling Approach Limitation-SWA Answer

I'd like to remedy the confusion surrounding the circling approach limitation placed on some types. SWA will accept a B737 type rating with the circling limitation. Our OPSPEC with the FAA does not approve us for cicling approaches. When we circle it is done as a visual maneuver with 1000/3 or greater.

The online application states that SWA requires an unrestricted B737 type rating, it should be amended to say the circling restriction is acceptable. It is not a requirement to spend $$ to have the limitation lifted. Numerous SWA Pilots have this limitation on their certificate.

Hope this helps.

I've gotta recommend Flight Training Intl (see ad at top of this page). They do a great job and do it for less. No one from SWA is gonna come in and talk to you, but you can get all the info off this board anyway.

Two thumbs up for FTI here also!

Shari is a sweetheart and will flex with your schedule and set up VA and/or WIA payments...small classes, top notch ground school instructor in Rich...same instructor for all your sims who thoroughly preps you for your checkride...no surprises...walked away happy with a unrestricted 737 type and over $1300 still in my pocket as opposed to other options

Kingwood

I have heard so much about HPA and a few others but little about Crew Pilot Training in Houston for the 73 type. What is the word on CPT's program.

FJ sounded happy with them. Anyone else?

I appreciate any gouge.

CPT in Houston

I went to CPT 2 years ago...great program, cheaper than HPA and 2 days shorter. Did the -300 EFIS sim at the CO facility and had great sim times (0900-1200 as opposed to 0200 like I've heard in some of the other programs). Academics were taught well and you couldn't beat the facilities provided by Continental ...overall I'd say it was a very positive experience. Not much time off though and no trips to the ballpark with the shorter class length! Not sure if it's changed any since then...

Latest resources

Back