• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/ATA revisited

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But no one's hiring now. FEDEX, UPS, SWA, DAL, UAL and probably soon, NWA are freezing hiring.

Also, no way in hell can I afford regional wages. Won't go back there, thank you. Rather drive a truck.

But no one's hiring now. FEDEX, UPS, SWA, DAL, UAL and probably soon, NWA are freezing hiring.

Also, no way in hell can I afford regional wages. Won't go back there, thank you. Rather drive a truck.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Friendly advice: I'd apply to Netjets if I were you. 100 domiciles. Starting salary of roughly $60K. 3 types of schedules to suit your interests. Brand new aircraft. Check it out:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/fractional/netjets.html

P.S. I don't work for Netjets but I have friends who do and they really enjoy it. Good luck.

That's fair. But that said, it doesn't mean you have to go down with the ship this time. Even with rose colored glasses, the situation isn't good.

With that in mind, ask your buddy who does the interviews which people on the SWA interview board are looking at ATA guys with a disparaging eye because "they are jumping ship and have no loyalty."

Hey, if you can bring up what your buddy says, I can too.

From our union spam-mail:

“I wish I could tell you that Southwest is buying ATA, but that’s just not the case.”

This is quoting John Denison, the interim CEO and COB of GAL

So, does that man that getting bought by SWA is the best possible solution for ATA? Some ATA folks have posted like they would hate to join SWA. There's kind of a sense of "not only shouldn't I be stapled...but maybe I should go to the top of the whole list" type attitude.

but maybe I should go to the top of the whole list" type attitude.

Not once has any ATA pilot even hinted at being at the top of any list. I and every other ATA pilot has only said we wanted to be treated fair. Thank goodness SWA's pilots are not represented by you because if they were I would rather have nothing to do with SWA.

To be honest I still would rather have nothing to do with Southwest because I am sure that your management has nothing but predatory actions up there sleeve. I don't blame them, it's just business.

You have nothing to do with business, you and you alone are just a jerk.

Not once has any ATA pilot even hinted at being at the top of any list. I and every other ATA pilot has only said we wanted to be treated fair. Thank goodness SWA's pilots are not represented by you because if they were I would rather have nothing to do with SWA.

To be honest I still would rather have nothing to do with Southwest because I am sure that your management has nothing but predatory actions up there sleeve. I don't blame them, it's just business.

You have nothing to do with business, you and you alone are just a jerk.

"your management?" I don't work for SWA. I'm an outside observer. And my observation is that if SWA were to aquire you guys, you should be happy to be part of a winning team for a change. If that means you get stapled, then that's what it means. I realize you spent X amount of years at ATA...but you would at least be getting stapled at SWA. You should consider yourselves fortunate that it wasn't more of a TWA/AMR type deal. You'd probably get pay protected and not be looking at a furlough. As it is right now, your outlook isn't good.

Heck, if SWA were to outright buy your assets, they probably wouldn't even have to offer an interview...so if they stapled you guys then that would be a bonus for you. Better money and QOL. Then again, it's America. You can take your talents elsewhere. It's up to you.

I also don't want to work for SWA. Maybe a secure place now, but who knows. Is it true that a deadheading pilot took pics of a wing coverd with snow leaving PHL and turned the crew in because they didn't get de-iced? (heard they got fired!) What about the crew who got 60 days off for powering down an a/c beacuse the ops agent told them everyone was off and somehow there was still pax on it? (sounds like the crew got a raw deal there!) How about the 67 degree bank and 30 letters to SWA going into LAX a few weeks ago? Is any this stuff true or just rumor? I though SWA was a family place that took care of thier own and not a place where people turn each other in. Is it becoming a mature airline like the rest of the industry? Not trying to put SWA down, just tired of the SWA types that come on here pounding thier chests all the time. It's getting old fellas and you're giving the rest of your crewmembers a bad rap.

I have many friends who work at SWA, both cockpit and FA's. Some like it, some hate it. I just don't want to fly multiple legs a day for the next 30 years. I think I'd rather just stay home!!

I was at ATA for almost 10 years. Just like anyplace, we had our 10% but overall, they were the best people I have ever worked with. I find it hard to believe, knowing many who have gone to the interview, that ATA people came in with an "I deserve it" attitude or a sloppy look.

Again, not SWA bashing and I'm not even at ATA anymoe. I just hate to see people I care about get kicked when they're down.

Latest resources

Back