• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/ATA revisited

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just heard from a "management" type on the jumpseat that SWA is looking at ATA's scheduled operations again.

Apparently they looked at buying ATA back in 04 prior to the codeshare deal, but decided against it. Now they are looking at buying ATA to get the etops and Hawaii and Mexico flying.

I asked about the employee group integration and culture issues that always seem to be the deal stopper with SWA and his reply surprised me.

"We won't have a employee integration issue. They will either agree to come over at the bottom of the pilot seniority list, or they can line up in seniority order and turn in applications like everyone else."

We talked about the new Bond/McKatskill ammendment that requires Alegheny/Mohawk to be used and he said that wasn't an issue here. Apparently, SWA legal believes that Global Aero Logistics is "the operation." And the new ammendment only applies if you buy more than 50% of the "operation." They believe that ATA's scheduled service represents less than 50% of the Global Aero Logistics operation and thus this doesn't apply.

I am not trying to stir the pot, but it looks like something is going to happen soon. I hope you guys will take a lesson from the TransStar deal and take the "offer." It will likely mean a pay raise even if you move seats and you will be at a company that you can retire from.

Good Luck.
It would appear that SWA is increasing the amount of crack that they mix with their kool aid. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else getting really frickin' tired of the god complex many of these SWA d0uches have?

This whole thread is doing nothing positive.

Let's just integrate with relative seniority, have a bid and get to work!

Gup

Hey there. I think our F/As will be a great fit in Budapest. Overweight grandmas with facial hair. :)

Everyone is missing the point, NO ONE screwed ATA pilots but ATA Mgt. and they are still doing it. None of this crap is SWA's fault. ATA was miss managed for a very long time and still is but the pilot group keep it the airline alive. We are in the business of making as much money as we can while flying A/C.

This whole thread is doing nothing positive.

Let's just integrate with relative seniority, have a bid and get to work!

Gup

Now that is the right idea.

The only thing this thread has proven is that we have d@u$hbags at both ATA and WN. Why are we getting so worked up about a rumour? Isn't this like the umpteenth time we've heard this one?

I would hope that if this were to come true that we (both pilot groups) would have enough sense not to let this turn into a debacle like at Usair.

ESPRIT

Last edited:
It would appear that SWA is increasing the amount of crack that they mix with their kool aid. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else getting really frickin' tired of the god complex many of these SWA d0uches have?

Yes the same people that want nothing to do with you. Why are u here dont you have a contract to negotiate.

To be honest.

I JUST DON'T CARE ANYMORE!!!!!!

I'd rather sink it than bend over and take it up the back side by another frigging pilot group.

F U

Love ya mean it!

Whats with the fing attitude. Thats why swa wants nothing to do with a merger. You honestly think that because there are 5 pilots on here (me included) that voice our opninion on here that we speak for all 5000 of us. We all took a chance and rolled the dice and after 30 years when we retire well be able to look back and see if it all worked out.

And if you want me to believe that if the shoe was on the other foot and swa was in trouble and ata was doing great you guys would actually give a rats a$% about us let me point you at US AIR/AMWEST, DELTA/NWA, AA/TWA, AA/RENO there aint no luv in the bussiness of merging, if you dont like it find a new career.

Whats with the fing attitude.

To be honest I was having a bad day and the original post hit an old nerve. I apologize for my attitude and wish I could have deleted some posts. SWA pilots have treated me better on the J/S and in passing than any other pilot group has ever through the years, not to mention the tremendous number of friends I have at SWA.

I was out of line.

I ban myself from this board one week. No board for me, one week.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I have to agree that ATA brings something to the table. Hopefully, if this finally comes to fruition, only the coolest of heads will sit down, and talk about it.

On another note. PCL you need to look in the mirror. You do nothing, but whine on here. You come off like some scorned x-wife. How about we keep ATAfan, and you ban yourself. Go out with the girls, and get a facial or something.

Latest resources

Back