• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA announcement on the 9th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey tanker...are you the new "lowecur"??? Just shooting out a bunch of hot air about predictions that you made and how you have all the answers for SWA...

Went to EPT recently...I figured it was better to go to the class instead of opting for the home version...which was a big mistake since we did it via the computer anyways, which took 3+ hours more than the old personal version. The main reason I opted to attend was to discuss some of the items many of the Captains and I have grumbled over the last 6 months. In a nutshell, times are tough. If it's not revenue positive, GK will not approve it. 5-10 aircraft gain next year and some 700's will leave the fleet along with old 300's. Cheaper than the overhall. Still taking 29? new, however. The revised 280 newhires will be less than half now with age 65 and the rehiring of those who previously retired coming back as FO's. I came away pretty positive considering the times we are heading into. Another perfect storm with the economy, age 65, fuel costs and global events. This is probably not what the poolies want to hear, but I sat in it from the fall of 01 to the spring of 03 too, so, I'd say, try to stay positive and look on the bright side of things as best you can.
Chris

I agree with what all of you guys are saying, but in the end, it's a business. Kind of like the line from Jerry McGuire (sp), "It's not show-friends, it's show-business."

This GK seems to be as loyal to the stock holders as he is to the employee groups.

One of my friends tipped me off. I think I know who this moron is. I think his first name is Les. Complete tool to all of those who know him. He got into trouble a couple years back for some impropriety (founded a website involving himself and his neighbors' dogs and cats) so it's unlikely that he will be hired anywhere at any time.

Strangely, though, his predictions have been solid.

I heard they are in the works of building a new terminal. More gates and new terminal in kden for swa. One of my friends that lives in the den area read it in a news paper.

**might be late on this post****

There have been discussions in the past about expanding the C concourse but nothing recently (at least not publicly). I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I have a 757 type but I would slit my wrist before I interview.

Ask a SWA guy, Herb isn't running the place anymore. GK would furlough to get the stock price up if he needed to. You guys thought I was crazy when I said that classes would pretty much come to a stop. And they did. In '01 oil was still in the $20s. SWA guys were on the very low side of the pay scale and they company had a bunch of markets it could exploit. Now oil is at $100, SWA guys are the highest paid, and the only markets left to grow in are the NY type places that are at odds with the way SWA works.

Oh, so you know Gary personally, huh?

Obviously you don't. Gary isn't going to furlough just to get the stock up, because he's a financial guy who realizes that the short term stock gain from furloughs doesn't outweigh the long term negatives for SWA. Thankfully, he's smarter than you are in that respect. And I've personally heard him say that it's okay to have the highest paid workgroup, so long as they're also the most productive. And SWA pilots are extremely productive. So while employment costs are always a concern, there's absolutely zero indicators that layoffs are anywhere in our near future.

If there was even a hint of furloughs on the horizon, trust me...there wouldn't even be ONE class in January. And stop acting like you're a genius for predicting the class slowdown. With the age 65 legislation, combined with the SWA announcement of a slowdown in growth, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that one coming.

Please...do us all a favor and stop running your mouth on this board about things you know absolutely nothing about. I'm tired of hearing about how your "friend" keeps having the "inside scoop" on a merger with AirTran. Unless your friend is an EVP at either company, he doesn't know squat. And even if he DID legitimately know something, he isn't going to share it with his weasel of a buddy so it could promptly be posted on a message board.

I hope to God you never get hired on at SWA. Guys like you are exactly what we don't need.

Latest resources

Back