• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA announcement on the 9th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only thing SWA will be buying is its oversold stock back. I think you will see SWA parking the older aircraft and uping the utilization of the others to aviod furloughs. With the credit card crisis looming on the horizon, capacity is needing to be cut.

that means Tanker Clown won't be there anytime soon.....there is a God! This allows you to add to your 2800+ hrs. Stay in the military world, you don't know squat about airlines.
By the way, no furloughs, nice try.

that means Tanker Clown won't be there anytime soon.....there is a God! This allows you to add to your 2800+ hrs. Stay in the military world, you don't know squat about airlines.
By the way, no furloughs, nice try.

Loads are down from last year, oil is $100 a barrel and going higher, only one class in Jan and that's probably it for the year....I think a furlough has about a 50/50 chance. SWA may have great culture, but in the end it's a business....and if they needed to furlough then they would they would furlough.

Loads are down from last year, oil is $100 a barrel and going higher, only one class in Jan and that's probably it for the year....I think a furlough has about a 50/50 chance. SWA may have great culture, but in the end it's a business....and if they needed to furlough then they would they would furlough.

you mean like they DIDN'T furlough after 9-11? You're new around here, huh?

Loads are down from last year, oil is $100 a barrel and going higher, only one class in Jan and that's probably it for the year....I think a furlough has about a 50/50 chance.
Doubt it.

They'd have to shrink CONSIDERABLY for that to happen.

SWA may have great culture, but in the end it's a business....and if they needed to furlough then they would they would furlough.
Historically, that's not exactly accurate.

Southwest has gone through periods where furloughs WOULD have made good business sense, but were short-term (6 months or so) before they'd need to start bringing people back.

In those cases, they've always retained them and just sucked up the extra cost and lowered the line value averages (there's some history on Southwest about this if you'll do a little research).

Things would have to be pretty dire indeed for SWA to get to that point... With their hedges over the next few years plus their profitability, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Not that they're immune, just well-insulated from needing to screw with their employees like that (they understand what that does to people and have avoided it quite well over the years).

Ask a SWA guy, Herb isn't running the place anymore. GK would furlough to get the stock price up if he needed to. You guys thought I was crazy when I said that classes would pretty much come to a stop. And they did. In '01 oil was still in the $20s. SWA guys were on the very low side of the pay scale and they company had a bunch of markets it could exploit. Now oil is at $100, SWA guys are the highest paid, and the only markets left to grow in are the NY type places that are at odds with the way SWA works.

I don't think anyone will get furloughed, however, I could see SWA pulling out of some cities and moving aircraft to places where they can be used better. there will be virtually no growth in this industry until a 737/A320&19/DC9/717 replacement. That is what...at least 2015?

I agree with what all of you guys are saying, but in the end, it's a business. Kind of like the line from Jerry McGuire (sp), "It's not show-friends, it's show-business."

This GK seems to be as loyal to the stock holders as he is to the employee groups.

Latest resources

Back