• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and the 737-800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHX-HNL shouldn't be a problem for the -800. As an aside, you guys are going to love the airplane. It's the best 737 yet made.

I've heard this Fubi^^

Any tips flying it? Short fields, tail strikes, we have guys who rotate a bit aggressive-
I've heard we're getting them with some short field mods- better performance- what is involved in that?

As long as you make a nice smooth rotation (3 degrees/sec) you won't strike the tail on either the -800 or -900. Just let it fly off the runway. As far as PHX-HNL goes, I went to HNL with a 100 kt headwind from SEA and landed with 9k fuel.

It's more stable than a -700 and flies like a dream. You'll love it.

The SLF package allows you to make 25 flap t/os. All it does is keep the leading edge devices from going full extend until you get beyond F25.

Last edited:
I heard Allegient's 757 lacked all the maintenance records or had too many after market parts to qualify for ETOPS. With SWA's planes being brand new that won't be an issue. Maintenance, pilot and dispatcher training should not be too hard either.

New is nice but doesn't guarantee you anything. Allegiant is just one example. Look at defunct SilverJet as well. The training is just one aspect. MX is huge and if they actually do have 28 dedicated aircraft, good. Leaving with an MEL is normally never done on an etops flight, at least at CAL. Takes an hour or two to get an aircraft ready for an etops flight, mx wise. Curious as to the progress of the FAA certification for SWA. Is Airtran etops qualified on their certificate?

I've heard SWA thought etops would be challenging, and it's been a bit harder than that. But I fully expect success- and know we have some very good, experienced pilots working on our end of it. Same thing on the mx side.
Fub- you know we'll do what it takes- and you also know you just like to flame and dig on SWA - it's boring

Can the -800 make PHX-HNL?

You'll be leaving seats empty on this route like we did SNA-HNL and SNA-OGG. On some days, we're weight restricted out of LAX to HNL - depending on the airplane and the warning areas off the west coast.

You'll be leaving seats empty on this route like we did SNA-HNL and SNA-OGG. On some days, we're weight restricted out of LAX to HNL - depending on the airplane and the warning areas off the west coast.

True statement. PHX is not possible on many days in the winter and Fubi's statement about landing fuel is misleading. It's not what you land with, it's how much fuel you had at ETP that counts and is what the FAA is most concerned about. Very important to know the difference and indicative of one's understanding of ETOPS flying. It's very common for AK to bump bags and Pax's in the winter. Sometime they have to divert to OAK and refuel as OAK is closest to Hawaii and anything longer is not doable. DEN is not even remotely possible and if anyone is seriously thinking that they have a LOT to learn.
One problem I could see that SWA will have to deal with, if they market themselves as the airline that flies bags for free it stands to reason they will get the pax's with the most bags? Big problem with a 737 trying to fly to Hawaii. Not to mention the PR nightmare that "your free bags often get bumped!"

It's very common for AK to bump bags and Pax's in the winter. Sometime they have to divert to OAK and refuel as OAK is closest to Hawaii and anything longer is not doable. DEN is not even remotely possible and if anyone is seriously thinking that they have a LOT to learn.

It is not "very common" to bounce people/bags but it does happen. The OAK tech stop statement is true though. Denver would fine as long as they made a quick SWA turn in Oakland. Not sure how the duty day would play out though. Does anyone know if the 900ER jets are going to make it to Hawaii?

Latest resources

Back