• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and the 737-800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just speaking to which pilot base is selected for the ETOPS training. I suspect that eventually there will be many route points out of the Cont. US. I see us doing PHX, OAK, LAX, and maybe LAS to HNL. Others may follow.

Which pilot base does the flying? Sometimes I'm not sure the company knows yet..

It'll probably start with only one of the west coast bases. I foresee a OAK/LAS/PHX - LAX - HNL 1st day or 2nd day. Then a similar thing on the way back: HNL-LAX (with an airplane swap for the late push back to HNL). Crew that just came from HNL will eventually work back into a normal SWA pairing. We may even see the dreaded redeye push outta HNL, 2 legs back to OAK (maybe that's where the 24hrs off comes from).

I figure, after a year or two, you can expect all 3 west coast bases to be ETOPS "trained". Prolly within a few years, all SWA pilots will be "trained".

I also see the Caribbean, Mexico & Central America as a focus of effort within the next couple years.

After ATL gets integrated into the rest of the SWA network, connecting all the dots, seems natural we'll expand outside the lower 48 border.

Some other things I see: the company will really like the -800 both with the added revenue coupled with essentially flat employee costs. I also believe, Boeing will come through and will have a small fleet of -800Max within 10 years. Too bad we won't keep the 1st class that FL brought. Now if we can get the wifi up an running / maybe outlets at the seats on the longer segments!

Sorry if this all seems obvious. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should worry about ETOPS certification before you worry about who will do the flying. Allegiant was supposed to be in Hawaii two years ago. They haven't made it yet.

Perhaps you should worry about ETOPS certification before you worry about who will do the flying. Allegiant was supposed to be in Hawaii two years ago. They haven't made it yet.

Somehow I think has SWA has a little more in resource department. We already now they have the best FAA money can buy.

A check airman that I flew with said that we start proving-runs to Hawaii in August. Also, we'll be dedicating 28 aircraft to Hawaii service.

This is the reason many of us are starting to leave this site. Bro, the OP asked a fairly easy and simple question, not a-typical of something asked over some beers. "Hey, when will you guys serve Hawaii" "Gee, Tom, I don't know/maybe in 6 months/etc". "Ah, ok, cool"

I wish SWA the very best and hope they reach Hawaii sooner than later.

save your ETOPS/etc etc world is gonna end attitude and take it somewhere else

Perhaps you ought to crawl back under your rock?

You know, the one where you don't discriminate against anyone except JB and VA folks looking for a ride to work/home....

Too bad we won't keep the 1st class that FL brought. Now if we can get the wifi up an running / maybe outlets at the seats on the longer segments!

Sorry if this all seems obvious. Just my opinion.
I agree, can't see anything wrong with one-two rows of business class seats and charging industry rates.

Latest resources

Back