• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and SWAPA Negotiating -800s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's great- but if you have management that has been good and treated you fair-- what would it say if we brought the fight to them over this- I think it's a good time to build up good will to match the raises mgmt paid us right in the middle of the largest recession since the 30's

I wouldn't have such a pro-management mentality if my mangement hadn't earned it. IMO, they have.

I would suggest you maybe try negotiating something in return. If not a pay override then maybe a stop to international code shares or no furloughs. Just a thought.

However, if you want to help braid the rope that your management will hang you on, then be my guest and give it away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

My major concern is that Gary won't commit to a 1-for-1 replacement. Four 800s can provide the lift of five 300/700s.

Spoken like a true Management Useful Idiot..............

Okay, let me see: Me - multiple airlines, the worst decade ever for airline pilots, furloughs, pay cuts, many friends out of the industry. I am at an airline that has not posted an annual loss since Elvis was alive. I have a pretty great paycheck, tons of days off, opening cities, new airplanes. I am the idiot?

Please demonstrate to me your expertise in the airline industry in 1000 words or less...

...I'm waiting.

Last edited:
Okay, let me see: Me - multiple airlines, the worst decade ever for airline pilots, furloughs, pay cuts, many friends out of the industry. I am at an airline that has not posted an annual loss since Elvis was alive. I have a pretty great paycheck, tons of days off, opening cities, new airplanes. I am the idiot?

Please demonstrate to me your expertise in the airline industry in 1000 words or less...

...I'm waiting.

Look up the definition of "Useful Idiot" (HINT, It's an old communist expression directed towards naive Westerners) and then re-read your posts. My rants are rooted in history, and if you study it, you know it's cyclical. If you think the ride will never stop at SWA and that you shouldn't protect what you have then you truly are a (fill in the blanks).

We already get paid enough to fly a guppy around. I hope we do not do the UAL, "Max Pay til the Last Day," bit. How, 'bout, "Pretty damn good pay til you have to retire."

Yeah but when were talking about Southwest pilots my only question is "When does one retire?" Perhaps your should stick to the standard SWAPA retirement chant "5 more years, 5 more years!"

Ok I'm on third year pay at southwest ($90/trip which is about $102/hr). Third year pay at Cal for the 737-700 is $67/hr and for the 777 is $88/hr. Do we really need a pay raise! I say SAME PAY SCALE for the -800s!!

We need better rigs because you're going to spend at least 45 minutes at the gate on the -800. And while we are at it let's hammer out the over-rides for redeyes and international/over water.

Just in case.

Gup

Look up the definition of "Useful Idiot" (HINT, It's an old communist expression directed towards naive Westerners) and then re-read your posts. My rants are rooted in history, and if you study it, you know it's cyclical. If you think the ride will never stop at SWA and that you shouldn't protect what you have then you truly are a (fill in the blanks).

I am un-naive product of the South. Your rants are rooted in scat. Yes airlines are cyclical. Most of the "greats" died in 75 yrs. DAL and UAL are there or past due. We are 35 years old. We have at least 4 yrs left in my book.

I AM protecting what I have. If we kill the golden goose, the ride is over. Thank you for helping me with my point. Our airline does not need to shell out extra $$ for the -800. I would rather see them spend it somewhere else.

I am un-naive product of the South. Your rants are rooted in scat. Yes airlines are cyclical. Most of the "greats" died in 75 yrs. DAL and UAL are there or past due. We are 35 years old. We have at least 4 yrs left in my book.

I AM protecting what I have. If we kill the golden goose, the ride is over. Thank you for helping me with my point. Our airline does not need to shell out extra $$ for the -800. I would rather see them spend it somewhere else.

Hey Neville Chamberlain, have you thought about the implications of having the overall same number of seats available while flying less aircraft? What do you think will happen to your growth, or lack thereof? Good luck protecting something that you happily gave away!!!

I will ask again: It what ways throughout your career have you demonstrated your expertise in avation?

Are big planes flying around losing money better than small planes making money? How are National and Legend and Song doing? How did the Whale work out for People? The same pay now is better than pay cuts later. Job security now is better than a furlough later. I've done both.

Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back