SWA and class-action suit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

Can anyone confirm or deny a rumor I heard that there is talk amongst some military types to consider filing a class-action suit. Supposedly the rumor is that there are some folks in the SWA HR department that are "not military friendly" and making discriminatory hiring decisions. The class action might be used to recoup interview and type rating expenses. I have heard this from both Airforce and Navy friends and the rumor is making its way around many squadron ready-rooms. Again, just asking if anyone has heard anything about this or is it just rumor. NO FLAMEBAIT PLEASE. Just keep it rational and calm but looking for any word.

Crucify anyone who isn't more than happy to help out any serviceman because they have a "hanoi jane" mindset.

Totally Disagree

As a previous SWA pilot recruiter I can tell you from experience that traditionally military individuals were more successful through the hiring process than civilian pilots.

Also, during my time there - we had more military pilots on the interview team than civilian.

Now I don't know if this has changed since they have started the process up again, but that was not the case before.

Terri

If it is true its just a bunch of dumbazzes who are bitter about not getting hired. The recent classes have been about 50/50 or weighted slightly toward the military side. Come to think of it the one behind me had only one civilian or two civilians. They would spend there time better by figuring out how to get hired next time rather than raising a stink and ensuring that they never get hired.

If that word were to get around those guys would probably never get hired at a legitimate carrier.

Huh? Lawsuit?

Ridiculous! If a guy/gal can't make it through the interview and or Decision Board, they don't get hired regardless of their background.

If there is any validity to this rumor, I suspect that these individuals are also ordering coffee at the McDonalds drive thru and then spilling it on their laps.

regards,

juan (ouch that's hot)

Oh, and Metro752, are you saying that all servicemen should be hired?

Last edited:
SWAnnabee said:
Can anyone confirm or deny a rumor I heard that there is talk amongst some military types to consider filing a class-action suit. Supposedly the rumor is that there are some folks in the SWA HR department that are "not military friendly" and making discriminatory hiring decisions. The class action might be used to recoup interview and type rating expenses. I have heard this from both Airforce and Navy friends and the rumor is making its way around many squadron ready-rooms. Again, just asking if anyone has heard anything about this or is it just rumor. NO FLAMEBAIT PLEASE. Just keep it rational and calm but looking for any word.
I am laughing my @ss off that this premise. In what cave have these people been living for the last 75 years ?

Why didn't I think of this

I should have tried this back in 98-99 when my friend was in class at American and out of 40 people 5 were civilian and 35 military. Or my other buddy that was the only civilian in a class of 22.

If this were true I feel for these guys but they aren't the only ones wronged when it comes to airline hiring.

Deny

To your original question of "confirm or deny" the rumor...there is no such talk at my Navy Reserve squadron in which about 1/3 of the guys are trying to get on at SWA.

Before everyone gets really upset at the community of presumptuous, arrogant military pilots, please remember the nature of a rumor--they're usually wrong.

SWAnnabee said:
Is this some pathetic ploy to keep military guys from getting hired at SWA? I think if you look at the make up of the classes any judge would throw it out. How ridiculous can you be!

Only In Someone's Conspiracy Theory Dreams

I'm 20 years USAF and have NEVER heard of this...it's a bunch of bull$. Don't even begin to believe this.

Latest resources

Back