• Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWAnnabee vbmenu_register("postmenu_379114", true);

Aircraft Experience: PA-28, PA-28R200, C-152, C-172, Mooney, Cruisader, KingAir
Flight Experience: Civil
Ratings: Comm, MEI
Total Time: 1900
The kid can't even spell Crusader...

scabseeker said:
I should have tried this back in 98-99 when my friend was in class at American and out of 40 people 5 were civilian and 35 military. Or my other buddy that was the only civilian in a class of 22.

If this were true I feel for these guys but they aren't the only ones wronged when it comes to airline hiring.
My class in 99 was about 50/50.

Lawsuit? Bah humbug!

Hell, I'm pure military and they hired me! Can't be that bad of a company. Hell, what am I saying, it's a freakin' GREAT company, I just can't wait to get out of this pool, though, hell, I guess swimming for a couple months is far better than treadding water in it for a year like those that started in April and May. Cheers,

Unlikely

I just interviewed on June 24 and the whole group of 11 of us were military. Mostly Airforce and a few Navy and Marine. If they were discriminating then why an entire interview class? Dont believe it. Rumors like this are unfounded and not rooted in any truth.

Last edited:
Hey Bozt45,

You interviewed with 2100 TT??!! Maybe your profile isn't updated. What are your current stats, if you don't mind?

Stats

Moose,
These are current stats. I meet the 1500 Total Turbine with 1000 Turbine PIC requirement. You either have to have 2500TT OR 1500Total Turbine.
Felt very lucky to have interviewed with my stats as compared to others with much more time. My turbine time is all military fighter time so maybe they gave it a little more weight since we fighter types have very little cruise time at altitude. Every hour for us includes a takeoff, approach and landing, vice a 5 hour flight mostly at cruise and level, then the approach and landing. Otherwise I cant imagine how I got the call. There are a lot of others with much more time than me so I am thankful for the opportunity. This is just speculation.
It was a good experience but I don't anticipate getting the call to continue. Too many have also interviewed and not gotten the call. The percentages seem awfully low for interview-hire. If I do I will be very pleasently supprised.

Boz

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Boz. Congrats on the interview and best of luck continuing the process. I agree with you regarding the low interview vs. hire percentages. I was recently rejected from another carrier who, by my research, hires 30-50% of those interviewed. Kind of shoots a hole in the idea that "airlines WANT to hire everyone interviewed - they just need to get to know you as a person". Must be an awful lot of a$$holes out there and I'm one of 'em ;)

You're Bringing Me Down

bozt45,

Hang in there! I interviewed June 15th and will remain hopeful until the evil, uniformed one who puts things in the black box by the street dashes my hopes.:eek:

Traditional hiring at SWA would dismiss this rumor as BS. But everyone is entitled to their opinion and day in court. BUT....things change. Maybe someone is valuing military experience less at SWA than it was before. That is by no means wrong or illegal.

Look at the hiring practices elsewhere. One could argue that Airtran is military averse. No one is suing them.

I smell sour grapes.

Latest resources

Back