• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go steelers!

You must be proud. :eek:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6471433

PITTSBURGH -- Rashard Mendenhall has created a stir with comments made on his official Twitter page regarding Osama bin Laden's death.

The Pittsburgh Steelers running back on Monday tweeted: "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side..."

Mendenhall didn't hold back, even making a reference to the Sept. 11 attacks.

Rashard Mendenhall is the latest example of a player needing to use restraint before posting his thoughts on Twitter, James Walker writes. Story

"We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."

The Steelers felt compelled to act. On Tuesday, team president Art Rooney II released a statement.

"I have not spoken with Rashard, so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon."

Mendenhall, who profiles himself as a "conversationalist and professional athlete" on his Twitter page, turned some heads in March, as well, when he supported a comment by Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson comparing the NFL to "modern-day slavery."

"Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel eachother," Mendenhall posted at the time.

Mendenhall is coming off a tremendous season, as he led the AFC champions in carries (324), rushing yards (1,273) and rushing touchdowns (13). He has 2,439 yards in three seasons since being drafted in the 2008 first round out of Illinois.

In the 2010 postseason, Mendenhall ran for 230 yards on 61 carries in three games with four touchdowns, as Pittsburgh defeated the Baltimore Ravens (31-24) and New York Jets (24-19), before falling to the Green Bay Packers 31-25 in the Super Bowl.

Among his other bin Laden tweets:

"I believe in God. I believe we're ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge."

"Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves."

"For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn ... I ask how would God feel about your heart?"

"There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to think."

Mendenhall's string of tweets ended around 6 p.m. Monday. He has not tweeted since.

Sports radio talk shows in Pittsburgh -- and around the nation -- were fielding calls on Tuesday about his comments.

Well guys your SLI predictions are not supported by any method of a past arbitrator's ruling. You may be correct but my understanding of the judicial system suggests that you hypothesis is very unlikely. An arbitrator will make sure that no SW pilot is PRESENTLY affected negatively by the SLI. Arbitrators won't play the "what if" game on lots of growth or stagation predictions for the future. Read arbitrations over the last couple decades, less than DOH never happened and yes ere large pay differences between some of the airlines involved. I re-iterate....I believe no SW pilots seniority should be negatively affected.

Conveniently ignoring the very recent Chautaqua-Shuttle America arbitration, a-g-a-i-n. Still the closest situation as far as the contractual disparities, btw.

PapaWoody

You make a lot of sense. However, do think your new boss would rather have 6000 disgrutel pilots or 50% of the 1700 new pilots? The reason I say 50% of the 1700 is because most likely 50% would be happy with being on the bottom. There would only be 50% of the 1700 that would be unhappy.

I hope "our new boss" is looking out for the betterment of the new company as a whole. If that is indeed the case, he may be more interested in the 26,000 (or more) other employees (as well as the company itself and more importantly the share/stakeholders), than ~7000 pilots that might get their feelings hurt.

Papawoody.....historically different size equipment that pay different wages are looked at by an arbitrator....ie...747 vs. 737. Also Frontier in bankruptcy may have had a lil thang to do with it....a-g-a-i-n you avoid the facts. Actually taking an FI break have fun....papa read your history books plz.

Hundreds of people left majors and the military for UPS between 2003-2008 BECAUSE of the "stability and job security." Very similar to the same group leaving for swa up to 2000. Yes, dude-swa's "job security" only came to fruition because of Scott Topping and Gary Kelly's decision to fuel hedge. Something which was completely unknown to those who "were looking for job stability."
This is what the arbitrator will be looking at when deciding the sli. "How much did you really know about the future of the airline and its stability, especially when AAI was looking at 4 year upgrades mid-2000s??"

For the record, among those hundreds that left for UPS were plenty from AirTran. They also left for CAL, DAL, FDX, SWA, Cathay, Emirates, etc.

As far as SWA job security 'only' coming from the fuel hedges, ask our 25-30+ year Captains how secure they feel. They were making millions long before hedging. While you're at it, ask them how they spend the millions they've made over that time frame too.

BTW, aren't you too busy shouting at your pilots to verify their seniority to be speculating SLI (which y'all constantly ask your pilots to reefrain fro doing)?

I hope "our new boss" is looking out for the betterment of the new company as a whole. If that is indeed the case, he may be more interested in the 26,000 (or more) other employees (as well as the company itself and more importantly the share/stakeholders), than ~7000 pilots that might get their feelings hurt.

Wait till you trannies ask your new management to back your MC's claims for the panel of arbitrators. Oh wait...your new management is our current management. I wouldn't count on much help from them.

You trannies might miss your beloved BMT before you know it. Time will tell!

I thought the panel of 3 arbitrators was in the process agreement signed by all 4 parties. Why would the new management back out of an agreement they signed?

Wait till you trannies ask your new management to back your MC's claims for the panel of arbitrators. Oh wait...your new management is our current management. I wouldn't count on much help from them.

You trannies might miss your beloved BMT before you know it. Time will tell!

Let's break your cunning plan down; :eek:

Plan A:

Convince the "Trannies" that if a non advantageous arbitrated SLI is reached, SWAPA will march into GK's office and demand that AirTran be run as a separate company.

Plan B:

Convince the "Trannies" that B.J. will perjure himself before a panel of arbiters by stating that AirTran was moments from disaster and its pilots were inches from unemployment.

I'm wondering about "plan C". Whilst also wondering why you're putting so much effort into something that you don't fear. Working against a pilot group who holds zero animosity for yours ?

I think he means now that both companies management is in the loop because AT wanted it that way, that both sides of management have a say on arbitrators, so in essence, SWA now has two votes.

Latest resources

Back