Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran pilot integration thoughts, what will the new list look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coming up on 9 years actually. I live in Atlanta as well and was torn between "BIG D" and SWA. They both had much to offer and were completely different. One thing I knew for sure, was every one of my friends that went to SWA was a REAL friend. The ones that went to Delta never talked to me again after they got their Double Breasted ego. When I got my SWA interview, my REAL friends called me to ask how they could help. Between that and my first trip to "Mecca" in Dallas, I knew where I wanted to hang my hat. There was no doubt whatsoever.

The reason I never considered Airtran was because, at the time, I made nearly as much at my regional as junior AT captains. The pay cut to start over was a much a bigger bite than I could handle financially.

As far as upgrades, I was told I would upgrade in 5 years at SWA so I think that argument about expected upgrade is moot. We are going to work this out and I think some of us may have to swallow bigger pills than others (those of us at SWA hired in my time frame are used to it). I still have no regrets at SWA but I think my 9 years should mean something. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Welcome to the family!

Interesting.

Who knows what your 9 years at SWA will get you. I hope it's what you want. I don't know what my 9 years at AT will get me. I never applied at SWA. I don't remember SW hiring at the end of 2002. Since you're there I'll defer to you. I have a bunch of friends there and hopefully more in the future. I don't think that anybody would argue that SW isn't a good airline.

Yes I met the requirements. No, I don't have any 'skeletons'; apart from the little incident with the "lotion on the skin" :D

I do know I've been in the left seat since the two and a half year mark at AT. What an arbitrator will think I don't know. The future appears to be notoriously difficult to predict.

Either way .... I'll swallow whatever an arbitrator hands out and either lift gear or buy beer. Or both.

Last edited:
Clyde

Prior to 9/11 SWA hardly lost "a lot" of pilots to the legacy carriers.

We no doubt lost a few who chose to chase $$$. It says more about those individuals than it does about the culture of SWA IMHO.

The interesting question is how many of the pilots who left SWA for a legacy carrier regret that decision versus those who left a legacy carrier to come to SWA? Purely hypothetical obviously but of those I've spoken with there was a definite trend.

Doesn't make SWA a perfect place or better than other airlines. It is simple an indicator of reality for persons who have a very unique perspective.

I understand there are many reasons why AAI is a perfect match for some and SWA wasn't. That is why we all enjoy having choices.

I understand there are many reasons why AAI is a perfect match for some and SWA wasn't. That is why we all enjoy having choices.

AAI was the only choice after everyone else rejected you, Southwest, Continental, Fedex, UPS, Delta, Netjets, Frontier, Alaska, back on Active Duty, 7-11, Walmart etc................

As far as AAI prior to 911. Don't even start. It wasn't an option except to those who could go no where else. Nobody went to Critter and stayed there prior 911 who really wasn't a piece of work: multiple DWI's, felony assautls, scabs, multiple busted check rides, horrible personality, bad credit it goes on and on and on. And just think Gary Kelly wants to put these people in front of YOU! Enjoy it all boys and girls.

Last edited:
AAI was the only choice after everyone else rejected you, Southwest, Continental, Fedex, UPS, Delta, Netjets, Frontier, Alaska, back on Active Duty, 7-11, Walmart etc................
Ummm, not really, no. For a while post-9/11, they were one of the only games in town for quite some time.

This is evidenced in the large attrition rates FROM AirTran TO many Legacy carriers and Southwest as well. A lot of pilots WERE employable at other carriers, just happened to end up at AirTran between their regionals and wherever they decided to go afterwards.

Some people stayed by choice (I turned down a jetBlue interview during my first year and got called by Northwest and United both from apps I had on file from before I went to AirTran that I had never pulled).

Your generalization is quite obviously flame bait, just wanted to interject a little reality into your diatribe.

Flame on.

Sure Lear70, as the guy who got turned down by Southwest.

I'll say this, pilots hired around 2002 and later are a higher caliber then 2001 and earlier. Guys hired at AAI prior to 2001 and those who stayed there are the bottom of the barrell. And just think if Gary Kelly has his way, some of them will be ahead of Southwest folks. Outstanding! Thanks Gary!

Last edited:
What % of your classmates are still at your airline?

Mine? 100% and that's "pre 9-11."

Now. What have we solved?

Gup

This seems like much ado about nothing. Just request an arbitrator and wait for the results. But DO request arbitration.

No worries, I was just clarifying your remark about AirTran being the only airline hiring in 2004. How many folks did you guys hire in 2004? Not a hit just curious.

Not quite sure but off the top of my head maybe 300?

Before 9/11 SWA lost a lot of pilots to places like UAL/DAL etc.

There seems to be a lot of arrogance coming from the SWA pilots on this forum. We're all very impressed with your stellar contract but it wasn't always that great and history guarantees it won't always be.

OY VEY! What happened to the love?!?!?

Latest resources

Back