Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran pilot integration thoughts, what will the new list look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A staple is not against the law. It may not be what happens but "no staple" is not what B/M and A/M say. Do your research.

IMO, A 10.5% B fund is much better then a 9.3% 401K match, even if the 401K match is based off a higher salary, because you are going to hit the limit at about $160,000 per year. I could be wrong, so If I am, please tell.

They match 9.3% up to 16,500, then it starts going into a 401a-17 excess fund (still at 9.3%). I believe (just going off memory) the total from all sources, profit sharing, 401k match, 401 contributions, and 401a-17 this year can't be more than $49,000. So if we have a huge profit sharing, some could get a check back...that used to happen a lot, not so much anymore. I'm well passed the 16,500 company match and in to the excess, but won't hit the limit, I'm sure.

Last edited:
DOH. No bump no flush.

M

They match 9.3% up to 16,500, then it starts going into a 401a-17 excess fund (still at 9.3%). I believe (just going off memory) the total from all sources, profit sharing, 401k match, 401 contributions, and 401a-17 this year can't be more than $49,000. So if we have a huge profit sharing, some could get a check back...that used to happen a lot, not so much anymore. I'm well passed the 16,500 company match and in to the excess, but won't hit the limit, I'm sure.

Thanks.. Clear as mud! ;-)

Correct me if Im wrong. But doesn't SWA's 401K require you to contribute before you see a match? If you maxed out your 401K at $16,500 wouldn't that be the most you could get from SWA as well (unless your over 55)? B funds have no max, and you don't have to contribute anything. It leaves that extra money in my pocket to spend how I choose. IMO, A 10.5% B fund is much better then a 9.3% 401K match, even if the 401K match is based off a higher salary, because you are going to hit the limit at about $160,000 per year. I could be wrong, so If I am, please tell.

BTW.. Can the SWA guys explain how your pay works. Isn't it based of segments, and not time? Is the hourly rate you see on Airline Pilot Central pretty close to what you guys actually see?

I hit the 16.5 cap in Aug., Co. is still contributing!
KBB

If a person hits the $16,500 max, is the amount you contribute over $16,500 taxed at a normal rate similiar to an IRA? Obviously Ive never had to worry about it, otherwise I would know.. Thanks in advance.

I hit the 16.5 cap in Aug., Co. is still contributing!

I think they are talking about the $16500 match from the company, not what you contributed. They will match up to 16500, then it goes in to the excess fund. You won't see the excess funds deposited until March, I think, and I have no idea why.

If a person hits the $16,500 max, is the amount you contribute over $16,500 taxed at a normal rate similiar to an IRA? Obviously Ive never had to worry about it, otherwise I would know.. Thanks in advance.

You can't contribute beyond 16500. But they company can match beyond 16500 as long as the total from all sources doesnt go beyond 49000. To get the 16500 from the company, you'll have to make 177,000. After that, it will go into the excess fund.

Last edited:
It should go by last 4 digits of your social security. 3000's first, then 7000's, 1000's, 5000's, 4000's, 0000's, 9000's, 2000's, 6000's and last 8000's. Also you should be able to move up and down with the people directly next to you by winning a best of three challenge. The best of 3 challenge can come from this list: 40 yard sprint, max reps of 135 bench press, a game of Risk, a best of 3 series of rock/scissors/paper, hot dog eating contest, a race around the world by boat, drinking contest of some kind or contest of who can jump off the highest platform and survive. If the 2 contestants can't come to an agreement on the challenges then the challenge selection goes to an arbitrator.

Latest resources

Back