Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran pilot integration thoughts, what will the new list look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
where you are is where you is.

A 40% pay raise, 9 more domiciles to choose from, improved 401k, medical, Lubbock overnights, and you keep relative seniority? That sounds pretty close to a windfall to me. A staple won't happen, but neither will relative seniority.

They'll get it figured out, and I'm sure most of us will hate it. But when it's all over, I'll accept it, say welcome aboard, and buy you a beer on our 20 hour Lubbock overnight. ;)

I personally hope it doesn't go to an arbitrator. I do hope our unions find common ground so that we don't have to go down that road. It would benefit both parties to stay out of it, IMHO. Regardless, it should be an interesting ride.

Been through 4 mergers all went to arbitration, good luck..

I think it would be counter-productive to start such a discussion here as it will inevitably degrade into a pointless food fight. I would suggest all SW and AT pilots save those keystrokes for emails to your union reps....that's where it may actually have some benefit.

This will ultimately be decided by an arbitrator....and that's okay. It's just business.

What he said.

A 40% pay raise, 9 more domiciles to choose from, improved 401k, medical, Lubbock overnights, and you keep relative seniority? That sounds pretty close to a windfall to me. A staple won't happen, but neither will relative seniority.

They'll get it figured out, and I'm sure most of us will hate it. But when it's all over, I'll accept it, say welcome aboard, and buy you a beer on our 20 hour Lubbock overnight. ;)

Actually, I think AAI's 401K is better, but the rest is spot on! As long as everyone hates it, it will probably work!

I say staple all the Tranny guys!!! Most Fos at SWA make more money have a better schedule and benefits then the captains at Airtran.

Actually, I think AAI's 401K is better, but the rest is spot on! As long as everyone hates it, it will probably work!

Would you rather have 10.5% of $150k per year or 9.3% of $225k per year?

I will lob one over the net - I will not be happy with relative seniority. Look at what the WN guys stand to gain vs. what the Tranny guys stand to gain.

Debate.

Gup

Correct me if Im wrong. But doesn't SWA's 401K require you to contribute before you see a match? If you maxed out your 401K at $16,500 wouldn't that be the most you could get from SWA as well (unless your over 55)? B funds have no max, and you don't have to contribute anything. It leaves that extra money in my pocket to spend how I choose. IMO, A 10.5% B fund is much better then a 9.3% 401K match, even if the 401K match is based off a higher salary, because you are going to hit the limit at about $160,000 per year. I could be wrong, so If I am, please tell.

BTW.. Can the SWA guys explain how your pay works. Isn't it based of segments, and not time? Is the hourly rate you see on Airline Pilot Central pretty close to what you guys actually see?

Last edited:
SWA will continue to match above the federal max. The salary deferral is just not tax free after that point. There's still a max but it's WAY higher than 16.5K...

Oh, we do have profit-sharing, too. Sometimes good...somtimes not as good.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back