Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran pilot integration thoughts, what will the new list look like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another point brought up on another forum, is relative qualifications to getting hired at each airline. Southwest's requirements are far more stingent, between being type rated and having minimum hours (turbine PIC). Can't deny that a job at SWA is a higher value and harder to achieve.

Another point brought up on another forum, is relative qualifications to getting hired at each airline. Southwest's requirements are far more stingent, between being type rated and having minimum hours (turbine PIC). Can't deny that a job at SWA is a higher value and harder to achieve.

I have a 737 Type and more turbine PIC hours than you, so I'm more qualified........right?
(Oh, it should be "stringent")

This aquisition is occuring because your senior management needed to grow with a profitable airline due to the consolidation of DAL/NWA and CAL/UAL. Gary Kelly called Airtran's CEO.....he obvoiusly saw the opportunity Airtran could offer SWA a competitive advantage. So maybe SWA needed Airtran in order to grow and offer the entire combined pilot group a great career opportunity. I agree that the SWA pilots should be given a slight advantage in the SLI but your airline needs us to grow in a cost affective manner and be competitive with the huge legacies.

Not true. We had 1.6 billion to play with. It's like, hey I have extra cash lets go buy something.LOL. You make it sound if it we didn't buy Airtran SWA wouldn't survive. SWA BRINGS SO MUCH MORE TO YOUR PILOT GROUP AND LIFE. Once the arbitrator sees how things work at SWA, Money, Schedule, Retirement, Health, Vacation, ELITT. You will see. Been on property for two and half years and will make 120K this year and half two weeks of vacation.

Are you sure about your numbers Mr. Chub? My LUV contacts don't seem to agree... Or were you talking about your wishes more than your expectations? Did you factor in the previous SW statement of no growth during 2010 and 2011? Just curious, 'cause your numbers are way higher than anything I have ever heard of before for a WN "average".

We didnt grow to set up for airtran! Hello! Buy they way how many new hires are there for 2010-2011 at airtran. Any retirements coming up?

AYFKM! I personally know 3 of your capts. hired in the late 90s pre 9/11 (while all legacies were hiring) that WOULD NOT even been invited to an interview at any legacy(barely graduated high school). Swa did not have the luxury at that time to be overly picky. Post 9/11 as they were the only game in town they could be. But don't try to pull the cream of the crop crap here. For those of us that have been around a while, sw was somewhere between a good regional and a legacy. A fun place to work, but always behind in pay and benefits. You are at the top now by default (ch 11) not by anything swapa did.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but that was "delta" arrogant there!! Jeez man get over yourself!

This is the stupidest attempt at justification I have seen so far.

I have 6 years in the left seat of a 737 and a degree in Aviation Management. You apparently had Beech 1900 PIC time and an over-inflated sense of self-worth . . . . . We both met SWA's requirements. What's your point?

Last edited:
This is the stupidest attempt at justification I have seen so far.

I have 6 years in the left seat of a 737 and a degree in Aviation Management. You apparently had Beech 1900 PIC time . . . . . We both met SWA's requirements. What's your point?

True, I agree with you Ty. But you can't train attitude. So what is your attitude going to be? Trust me FO's will check yours and are not afraid to do so. With that been said I will buy you a beer and welcome you with open arms as my cappy.

Ouch..... OSU called, they want their logo back......

Latest resources

Back