• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI SLI agreement in principle.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way I read the e-mail last night it indicated that the MEC would be "briefed" then it would be released. Didn't say anything about them voting on it. Has that changed now that we had such an uproar?

The way I read the e-mail last night it indicated that the MEC would be "briefed" then it would be released. Didn't say anything about them voting on it. Has that changed now that we had such an uproar?

I don't think so. Nothing gets sent out without an MEC vote.

Me thinks they conviently phrased it that way to prevent a new/further uproar. A part of me expects we won't hear anything until after the MEC has made their decision.
Wouldn't want the rest of us to have a say about this - that just makes things messy.
I'd say the time to call our reps is right now and let them know what we want.

In case anyone wants to know - If the MC recommends it, I want a vote!

There wasn't "such an uproar". Classic case of the vocal minority attempting to influence our policies in an effort to "fast forward" the process. Thank goodness wiser minds prevailed and our process (which was developed during a non-pressure environment) was allowed to run its course. From what I've heard several key areas of interest were brought up by the MEC and legal counsel that required special attention (language-wise) to ensure they'll protect us like they were intended.

There wasn't "such an uproar". Classic case of the vocal minority attempting to influence our policies in an effort to "fast forward" the process. Thank goodness wiser minds prevailed and our process (which was developed during a non-pressure environment) was allowed to run its course.
Agreed. Interestingly enough, I'm hearing two "vocal minority" camps now on our board (before it was shut down). The junior 2xx people who just want it to go through no matter what (they're on the bottom now and they'll be on the bottom there but will make $2-3 Million more throughout their career doing it so they don't really care HOW the SLI goes), and the so-called "angry dozen" (or angry 13, depending on who you include). ;) (sorry, inside joke)

The truth is somewhere in the middle; from the many pilots I talk to on the line, most are people who hate the huge hit they took on their seniority but who are unsure of what happens if they vote it down. The two "vocal minority" groups were attempting to persuade the silent majority, people were burning down the phone lines and emails to their reps, and it was simply out of control. Not surprised they shut the board down to tell the truth.

Me thinks they conviently phrased it that way to prevent a new/further uproar. A part of me expects we won't hear anything until after the MEC has made their decision.
Probably.

Wouldn't want the rest of us to have a say about this - that just makes things messy.
Nice tongue-in-cheek... ;)

I'd say the time to call our reps is right now and let them know what we want.
True statement. People need to email your reps NOW. Copy the entire MEC in the eMail so that OTHER reps know how you're telling your particular rep(s) to vote. That way, when the dust settles, no one can claim they didn't have a chance to direct their reps.

That seems to be the prevailing thought from what I'm hearing on the ground...

I don't think so. Nothing gets sent out without an MEC vote.
Interesting you say that... I was looking at the Process Agreement, which the MEC ratified, and it does indeed say that the MEC gets a vote, Sec 2.c, states that the negotiated settlement is "subject to applicable governance provisions of SWAPA and ALPA, respectively).

The BoD at SWAPA has to approve it before their membership sees it, the MEC at ALPA has to approve it before THEIR membership sees it.

That said, the MEC should be very careful. There's already recall efforts in motion in ATL by one of the usual suspects and the membership wants to see the agreement if the MC brings one back that matches the AIP; if it matches the AIP and the MC recommends it and they're kept from seeing it, I would bet you my next paycheck that the recall(s) would be successful.

That said, the MEC should be very careful. There's already recall efforts in motion in ATL by one of the usual suspects and the membership wants to see the agreement if the MC brings one back that matches the AIP; if it matches the AIP and the MC recommends it and they're kept from seeing it, I would bet you my next paycheck that the recall(s) would be successful.

I would say if the MC recommends it and the MEC decides against sending it for a vote, there will be a HUGE uproar. Including successful recalls.

Last edited:
You will see the agreement. PERIOD! You may not get to vote on it if the MEC determines that too large of a group will get screwed. But you will get to see so they can show you why the voted as they did. And oh, by the way, that's why we the informed, interested and voting members put them there.

I'm informed. I've voted in every election and I will be thoroughly pissed if the MEC denies the pilot group a vote on this one. If the MC endorses it, the MEC needs to send it out for a vote of the entire group.

That makes no sense. We didn't vote for the MC, we voted for the MEC. They are our reps, not the guys who were appointed. The MC was appointed to do a job, and they've done it. Now it's time for the MEC to do their job, which is to determine whether the agreement is good enough to warrant a membership vote. They shouldn't ignore that responsibility, they should take it seriously. Maybe that means sending it out, maybe it doesn't, but whatever the decision, it should be based on a real analysis and thorough vetting, not based on "well, the MC recommends it, so I'll rubber stamp it." That's not what we elect these people to do.

Fredo, from everyone I've spoke to- your MC commands way more respect than your dysfunctional MEC, no matter how they got to those positions.

Latest resources

Back