• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA-AAI Going Rogue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow....the General said it, so it must be true. Lay off the crack pipe....you might have to take a drug test one day.

Ty you are on 10 year pay step at AT as a Captain. The difference for a 10 yr SWA F/O and what you currently make is $3.36 when adjusted for TFP vs. Hourly rate. When you factor in our rigs, benefits, retirement you have actually gotten a raise to become a SWA F/O. Your relative seniority in seat will be about the same when you become a SWA F/O so your QOL will actually improve along with your pay. You are Welcome.

I hope you will come over happy because this is the best thing that will ever happen to you in your aviation career or it will be your biggest regret if you screw it up.

Then TY just hit the lottery. We had NWA DC9 Captains that were making the lowest pay per hour on the NWA Capt pay rates, and after the merger they moved up to the 757/767 left seat at another more junior base, and their pay went up by over 50% (after the 30% raise the NWA guys got per hour anyway). What can I say about them? Only---Congrats. Good for them. Those guys were CAPTs at NWA, and now they are Capts at Delta. Some NWA Capts were bumped to FO when DL got rid of the 742s and some DC9s, but I don't think SWA is getting rid of extra planes (only replacing). Sounds like people will probably stay in their seats, which is what the arbitrator should rule. I don't see displacements at SWA either, since I don't think any current AT or SWA bases will close (DL closed ANC which caused a huge ripple). You just never know, but I would say TY and other AT pilots have just won the lottery, and GOOD FOR THEM. (and, that brings up ATL wages for us at DL too---when contract time comes around---thanks dudes)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow....the General said it, so it must be true. Lay off the crack pipe....you might have to take a drug test one day.

It sounds like you are losing it. I give example of what just happened to us, and you shoot it down. You have ZERO experience in an SLI, and you are starting to see that your dream is turning into a nightmare. Oh well. (PSSST----if you don't like your lot in life, you can always move to another airline---DL may be hiring late next year)

Bye Bye---General Lee

My perspective as a 7 year SWA F/O.

1. Seat protection or lock for Tranny CA's is unacceptable and would create a caustic work environment.

2. Forget fencing out the 717 also. SWAPA negotiated a maximum 24 month fence in our contract for a reason. We don't want lesser paid pilots running around our system on a fenced out airplane that happens to be the same size as a -500. Hello...can you say B-Scale anyone? In all likelihood, those airplanes will end up deployed on our short haul routes out of TX and West Coast so no way in hades we want it fenced out of our hands permanently.

3. Date of hire...not what I want but realistically a possibility provided the maximum 24 month duration fence applies around your operation. After 24 months, we get into ATL and your aircraft and seats and you get into our system. You get what your seniority holds Southwest and no more...
Funny how you guys went from staple to.....well you should get 1 year seniority for every two you have at aai.....to DOH.......Will the obvious and more realistic relative seniority be next?

We are losing lots of growth and possible captain slots by merging with you. And yes cpt at aai compared to fo at swa is a pay cut.

I recommend all my SWA brothers and sisters disengage here.

This forum is more or less a complete waste of time. Were not going to change their mind and they are not going to change ours. Additionally, none of this matters.

We have a great thing here (at SWA); from day one on property I've had an awesome time! I get compensated very well (5 yr FO = 150k range, w/ lots of days off) & I live the way I want (coaching kids, volunteering at schools, ...). My (our) future is extremely positive here at SWA!

If the hatred I read from AAI guys is what they bring, I (and many of my brethren) don't want this to go down!

(Ty, lemme help you here "does not matter what you want, GK, BOD, ... they want this." Did I cover your retort?)

The day a SWA pilot goes to work and does not want to, it'll be the tipping point for our future failure. It hasn't happened yet, but it could.

Do you think GK does not know this "culture" risk? Do you think he wants to be the guy who killed SWA?

GK had better start treating the AT pilots like the current SWA pilots (pay and bennies), and the SLI should go to a NEUTRAL (that way GK has an "out"---it wasn't his fault) and be decided. Don't you want it to be fair? A neutral will look at everything and make a FAIR SLI. You obviously don't want it to be fair, and that is why YOU ARE THE ONE BRINGING THE HATE. If everything you say is true, then a neutral will create a list EXACTLY how you think it should be. What are you afraid of? I thought so. You don't want it to be fair. AT actually does bring a lot to the table, and that makes you nervous.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So GL / Ty,

In your opinion, a 6 year AAI captain should keep his seat and a 11 year SWA FO should stay an FO? How do you think those cockpit conversations are going to go? The AAI guy gets an enormous increase in pay, QOL, benefits, security (something that is worth a lot in this industry), and the SWA guy gets nothing? Seems fair huh?

Nevermind, I'll leave that as a rhetorical question, I know how you'll answer. GL I believe after reading your posts from days past, you relish the day SWA guys are pissed and SWA fails.

Last edited:
GK had better start treating the AT pilots like the current SWA pilots (pay and bennies), and the SLI should go to a NEUTRAL (that way GK has an "out"---it wasn't his fault) and be decided. Don't you want it to be fair? A neutral will look at everything and make a FAIR SLI. You obviously don't want it to be fair, and that is why YOU ARE THE ONE BRINGING THE HATE. If everything you say is true, then a neutral will create a list EXACTLY how you think it should be. What are you afraid of? I thought so. You don't want it to be fair. AT actually does bring a lot to the table, and that makes you nervous.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bingo!

So GL / Ty,

In your opinion, a 6 year AAI captain should keep his seat and a 11 year SWA FO should stay an FO? How do you think those cockpit conversations are going to go? The AAI guy gets an enormous increase in pay, QOL, benefits, security (something that is worth a lot in this industry), and the SWA guy gets nothing? Seems fair huh?

Nevermind, I'll leave that as a rhetorical question, I know how you'll answer. GL I believe after reading your posts from days past, you relish the day SWA guys are pissed and SWA fails.

Do Capt slots always equal seniority numbers? There are plenty of senior FOs that avoid being a Capt right away because they don't want to be on reserve. Do you suggest kicking that 6 year Capt out of his seat? This SLI is about SENIORITY NUMBERS. If you are senior to the 6 year Capt, then when a spot opens up in that base, you can bid in front of him. The way displacements happen is when bases close, or planes move from base to base. Then, that 6 year Capt may not be able to hold a Capt slot in another base, and he moves to what his SENIORITY can hold. This SLI is all about seniority, not seat position. Again, senior FOs may be able to hold Capt in other bases, but choose not to.

And, I don't want SWA to FAIL, I have always said you guys have a few great things going for you. But, some of the egos on this board are a bit over the top, and borderline elitist. You may have thought certain airline pilots were like that in the past, but a lot of your guys are that way NOW.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Cruncher said:
In your opinion, a 6 year AAI captain should keep his seat and a 11 year SWA FO should stay an FO?

No dog in this fight, but longevity is not the same thing as seniority.

After 5 years of AAA/AWA harmony, I'm surprised more folks don't recognize that fact.

Latest resources

Back