• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI and the flight deck jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You'll notice that I haven't said a single thing here about what I expect from the SLI. Neither have Ty, Lear, Kharma, or the other AirTran posters.

true dat! Its been all the SWA guys....:)

Looks like Ty talked about what he expects just the other day and I quote:

In other words, to an Arbitrator, it's not going to be brain surgery. There will be no staple. There will be no "bump and flush". There will likely be not a lot of change, period. That is their job- to merge the lists in a way that causes the least amount of change to a pilots' expectations for seat, equipment, domicile, and bidding power, and the number of years in the top seat.

I know you guys don't like it, but historically, that is how it has gone. If you want to take your chances on Arbitration, I think you'll be surprised and disappointed. As long as you keep thinking you are the "star-bellies", though, reaching a mutually agreeable list that will pass muster with both Pilot groups is unlikely.

Its about time for you guys to man up and realize that this is a great deal for you.

Look, there are no "do overs" ask the F9 guys. Tranny's are getting a great deal, you would have my respect, if you would acknowledge this fact.

Southwest is the best job in aviation period and you are very close to having it. I'm being honest, you guys could really F this thing up.

We bought you... sorry.

Make a list of what you're getting from Southwest compaired to Air Tran, where you are at now. Not talking any seniority, make a list of your gains. It should be a long list, that should bring a smile to your face.

Now go get on our list and be thankful, this is a great Company. Picture yourself in our uniforms :pimp: (which will make you look like this) cus, if you don't want it, guess what 8,000 pilots applied for 200 openings.... they want it. Frankly, I'd rather give them a shot then listen to Ty cry :bawling:forever!

Here is another quote from Ty, check your facts PLC... No wonder they fired ur ass.

And I quote:
The most important thing, to me, is quality of life. The payscales are a given ('cept for the 717, but I'm sure they'll be fair).

I want to work at a place where I can enjoy working with other pilots, and not an "east versus west" "redtails versus bluetails" or "corn dog versus tranny". I feel pretty confident that our negotiators and their will come up with something that we can all live with.

To me, the most fair method is some sort of relative seniority- where you are is where you is

Get your facts right buddy. Ty you know we drug test at Southwest? You know you will have to pass the drug test to work here?

Last edited:
true dat! Its been all the SWA guys....:)

Looks like Ty talked about what he expects just the other day and I quote:

Its about time for you guys to man up and realize that this is a great deal for you.

Look, there are no "do overs" ask the F9 guys. Tranny's are getting a great deal, you would have my respect, if you would acknowledge this fact.

Southwest is the best job in aviation period and you are very close to having it. I'm being honest, you guys could really F this thing up.

We bought you... sorry.

Make a list of what you're getting from Southwest compaired to Air Tran, where you are at now. Not talking any seniority, make a list of your gains. It should be a long list, that should bring a smile to your face.

Now go get on our list and be thankful, this is a great Company. Picture yourself in our uniforms :pimp: (which will make you look like this) cus, if you don't want it, guess what 8,000 pilots applied for 200 openings.... they want it. Frankly, I'd rather give them a shot then listen to Ty cry :bawling:forever!

Both sides could really F this thing up. If both groups act like 1st graders the whole thing gets f'd up. Greatest job in aviation? Maybe. But if there is a Karma god that deals with airline pilots, you dudes are pissing him off!

But if there is a Karma god that deals with airline pilots, you dudes are pissing him off!

But there isn't one, so we are good! :cartman:

Historically it won't last. Take the blinders off. Pop the bubble you have lived in because I don't think you have been paying attention much to the outside Aviation Airline world we live in for the last 20-30 years. You were on the way up. And a great ride it "was." Is it an "is"? You have not grown. You couldn't with us around. Our growth expectations when I got here was 50%. We had 50 more orders coming and 100 options. SWA was no where near that before the oil bubble. We were growing MKE, MCO, BWI, and holding our own in BOS until the merger. SWA was just holding your own. All I am saying is this stuff is fleeting and an arbitrator knows it.

Sorry but it already might be F'thd up over there. Hopefully we turn things around before they go south. Hopefully another Airtran does not come along that out competes SWA and prevents growth. How many can you buy?

Hopefully the other Airline Pilots get nice raises which I think is coming, so we don't take cuts. Worry more about the next 5 years than the next 15.

Wasn't this thread about jumpseat ediquette. Lasted about half a page.

Last edited:
Take the blinders off.

AirTran CEO Bob Fornaro stressed in a conference call with reporters on Monday that AirTran had "done a lot with not much" in terms of financial resources, but that it was becoming less clear that AirTran had the ability to grow and remain competitive in an industry where the size of a carrier's route network is increasingly important.

Quote:
"Southwest has, relative to AirTran, vast resources," Fornaro said. It became clear that "we could do more with Southwest resources" than AirTran could do on its own.

“This agreement is great news for our Crew Members, our shareholders, our customers and the communities we serve. Joining Southwest Airlines will give us opportunities to grow, both professionally as individuals and as a group, in ways that simply would not be possible without this agreement,” said Bob Fornaro

I just about posted the same thing Gup. Talk about throwing you future employer (maybe), under the bus.

I'd say SW has alot more growth ahead of it than behind it. Airtran did do alot with what they had, but they were running into picking around the edges of the larger carriers. And that worked good for awhile, but Bob knew it was getting harder unless he had a ton more cash..and he didn't.

The orders meant nothing JT. Unless the plane is on the ramp, it's just all speculation. Look at Virgin America. All those guys over there are wetting themselves with all the orders, but if it turns into a Skybus operation and folds..what good are the orders? (and I'm not saying AAI was going to fold, just pushing up against a difficult situation trying to fund the new orders)

RF

Last edited:
Can't we all just get along. Fact of the matter is that none of us know for sure what the future holds as far as our industry or our company. No one can predict how many airframes either AAI or LUV would of had or will have in the future. We can agree that this is an extremely dynamic industry and things change fast. (ex. Sept 11) No one can predict if this will be settled via negotiations, mediation, or arbitration. Its been said many times but it bears repeating. Let's just let this thing play out then move on. I am happy now and will be happy after this thing is done no matter what the outcome. I hope everyone else can say the same. This job is too much fun to be miserable about what might happen in the future. I propose a mud slinging hiatus.

Cheers folks.

Latest resources

Back