Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK Guys

w8n4swa,

Glad your happy, but so are most of the guys I know flying airplanes at majors. I agree this is a changing industry and the future will be interesting. A $102 million profit is great, but it mostly came out of your paycheck. If SW had an A plan, a B plan, and industry average wages would there be a profit. Don't know, just points to ponder.

Maynard,

As far as job security goes, wouldn't UPS or FedEx also be good options. I'm sure you didn't go to SW to lower the bar on wages. In fact, I'm sure you didn't even think about it. I'm not looking for an apology, I just don't think you guys should be so defensive when we say you are under-compensated. Don't get me wrong SW has a good business model and training costs are very low, etc, etc. But there is no denying that low cost carriers hurt industry wages in the big scheme of things.

Faternally, WG

Wise Guy said:
If SW had an A plan, a B plan, and industry average wages would there be a profit. Don't know, just points to ponder.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** I really tried to stay out of this one but listening to clueless banter from these two I just had to respond.

First as a member of a negotiations commitee (ALPA) at my former Airline I was educated by ALPA National Department heads as to what was attainable and what was not.

A & B Funds: Never, NO WAY, Not even if you gave in to a concession to get it. Too musk at risk for the Airlines in terms of manageing and projecting the funds worth. The money must be set aside and reviewed by an Actuary. Many Airlines are now faced with decisions of possible Bankruptcy due to having to make the fund payments. Don't know of any POST Deregulation Airline to get one.

Second, Under Compensated, well when I turn 60 and retire I will know if I was under compensated no sooner, no later. I don't measure my salary against my friends at other majors, thats probably good since my good friends are furloughed by those "great" carriers. I relalized what the pay and work structure was at SWA before I even applied.

Third, No Airline hurts Industry pay scales but themselves. Making idiotic mergers to trying to change your niche has done nothing but hurt these Airlines and in turn hurt the Pilot groups who continuely have to bail out management. SWA does not have the luxury of a 747 crossing the Pacific from which to shrare wages. A DC9 pilot at NWA flies a 100 seat Aircraft while a 747 Pilot flies a 400 seat Aircraft. Does he make 4 times as much? NO, because the revenues are spread amongst the pilot group. SWA's Industry is Domestic single Aircraft flying. I was always for raising the bar, I just don't know where that bar will be in the next few years. I'm never defensive about being "under compensated", I just don't want to hear about it from someone who doesn't write my checks.

???????

Canyon Blue,

Not sure I made sense of all of that.

A&B Funds: I assume you are talking about the A Plan (defined benefit) when you mention that an actuary must constantly review the plan and that the obligation to meet A Plan commitments ends up hurting companies. While A Plan commitments may be difficult to project, which airline today is in bankruptcy solely because of its A Plan commitments?

Under-compensation: It's arguable that the majors have furloughed and RJ fleets have exploded solely because they have to compete with low-cost carriers. I am not criticizing anyone's decision to fly for SWA (why do you guys get so defensive?). I'm simply pointing out that the very presence of low-cost carriers fundamentally changes the dynamics of the industry, including average pilot wages.

Third: You lost me on the merger stuff, but I still stick to my original point (I'm on your side here) that you guys deserve better pay. Saying that you'll never have a retirement plan beyond a 401k because it's too expensive for the airline definitely seems to me to be selling yourself short. No reason why the company can't at least provide you with a B Fund (defined contribution). No need for actuaries; no chance of out-of-control, unpredictable future costs. That would at least get you half way to where everyone else is.

If you want to work harder for less, that's your prerogative. Just recognize it has an affect on the entire industry, which means it negatively affects your peers at other airlines and the pilot profession overall. In the end, you end up hurting yourself.

Wise Guy,

You mentioned you're not furloughed and you don't work for a SWA competitor, but you seem to have a pretty in-depth knowlege of the airline business. You're profile doesn't say much.

I'm not trying to be a tool, just curious where your point of view is coming from.

Once again....

There is a place for all of us on this wonderful place we know as Earth...

All of those who have made the personal decision to accept all that IS SWA are rightfully happy and are glad to be where they(we) are.

On the "other" side are those to desire to be paid at the absolute TOP of the scale.

This ongoing (endless??) debate reminds me of my days as a young musician..... (bear with me here)

You could play in bars 3-4 nights a week as an independent... steady work, paid in cash, but you did it for $25-50 per night. OR, you could join the union, get paid scale, have taxes taken out and get $100-150 a night. To each his own..... steady, regurlar work at a lower wage, or BIG money with some gaps in between?

Once again - the C H O I C E is up to the individual, live with it - or chose to do something else with your LIFE.

Most importantly, enjoy your self & look forward tro getting out of bed each day - like my signature sez.......

Good night everone, hope tomorrow bring you what you dream for!!! Tredding:)

Wise Guys says- If you want to work harder for less, that's your prerogative. Just recognize it has an affect on the entire industry, which means it negatively affects your peers at other airlines and the pilot profession overall. In the end, you end up hurting yourself.

The biggest thing affecting most of SW pilots peers is greed. In the end greed ends up affecting those that are greedy. If every airline had equal pay that doesnt mean the public would just "suck it up" and pay the fare neccessary to support the cost structure. People are not flying as much these days-leasure travellers and business alike. Flying somewhere is not a neccessity for most people. Many will jump in the car or not go at all. "Raising the bar" will not work. The market determines what cost structure it will bear. SW and its pilots apparently understand this. In the end, many major airline pilot contracts have ended up hurting themselves.

I find it hard to understand all these comments from NON-SWA Pilots about salaries being below "Industry Standard".
"Industry Standard" may be higher than SWA Pilot Salaries, however, SWA is and has been the only Major Airline that has made a profit since existance. Working for "Below Industry Standard" seems to be working for SWA and maybe if all these other airlines would cut their pilots pay a bit they too could produce a profit!! All our friends hired with Airlines paying "Industry Standard" within the last 2 years are currently on the street!!

good point

Nice observation spouse person..... perhaps people who aspire to work for a "major" airline have a bit of a problem seeing the BIG picture at SWA???

Like another member so regularly states... "hire for attitude, train for proficiency".....

Waiting to evolve from the pool, soon?? tredding

Wise guy makes some good points here about pilots all being some kind of a brotherhood, and when one company who owns a major segment of the industry accepts lower wages/higher productivity it hurts every one in the long run, cause if you don't watch out AMR and others will re-vamp into true low cost carriers without retirement plans and good work rules, and before you know it we'll all be bidding our wages down instead of up!

Anyway, I'm on an internet cafe machine here in Coeur D' Alene, ID paying $10/hr, so I'm gonna go off, read the WSJ and enjoy my 4 days here at the resort.....

Maybe I'll check back and see just how long this thread is gonna get tomorrow.

Latest resources

Back