• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA 2006 New Hire Pilot Demograhpics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
good thing for the profession that no civilian raised guys scam the system .... sick leave, etc. (tic)

What? Military guys don't call in sick?

Civilians can't fly on the side (for the most part) dat was the point. We can't use the federal government and/or laws to fly on the side. Civilains dont have laws to help us double dip. Just the facts baby... So a Mil guy can have trips pulled for duty and call in sick. Us Civilians, just get to call in sick.

What? Military guys don't call in sick?

Civilians can't fly on the side (for the most part) dat was the point. We can't use the federal government and/or laws to fly on the side. Civilains dont have laws to help us double dip. Just the facts baby... So a Mil guy can have trips pulled for duty and call in sick. Us Civilians, just get to call in sick.

Dude...go spend 7 months in the desert and then you can talk. Do you think we like to jerk our schedule around. Most of the time it is not flying for fun. I don't like to spend 3-4 hours planning a fake mission to go fly for an hour and then do touch and go's. All for a few bucks. It is so we can help support the country in strange times like the one that wrecked the lives of millions a few years back....do you you remember that time. I bet you probably would have gone over there then if you could....but reading your posts many times, I highly doubt you would. Why can't you just support people and keep quiet.

Why can't you just support people and keep quiet.

This is why we fought England, and won. And every military guy/gal out there is fighting for SWA/FO to have the freedom to express his opinion, if you are not you are part of the problem.

Its a volunteer service.

Guys are still in to achieve their retirement benefits, complete their 20 years. Why else have two jobs? Cus, your going to get something in the end. Reward, payback etc...

Why can't you just support people and keep quiet.

Why can't you just do your job and stop pounding your chest you signed up for it. I didn't make uncle sam pick you.

Its a volunteer service.

Why can't you just do your job and stop pounding your chest you signed up for it. I didn't make uncle sam pick you.

i'm a civilian flying for a major airline. please...reservists and active duty...POUND YOUR CHESTS WITH FERVOR! SWA/FO and the like will never get it. and that's a shame.

Fair enough. I just think he/she has an issue with military pilots either getting the job at SWA or one's that are still flying in the Reserve/Guard.

RedDog,

I 100% agree with you. SWA/FO is just one of those dude/dudettes that will always believe that the only reason we are in the guard/reserve is for the part time $ and retirement, and nothing we say will change their minds. Their simple claim is that if we were that patriotic then why did we leave active duty? The answer of years of non-flying staff/ship's company/FAC jobs, etc. in the last 10 years of a 20-year career fall on deaf ears. The potential risk of being less competitive for a post-retirement flying job after driving a desk for many years is also ignored. Our peers like SWA/FO simply believe that we scam.

Granted, there a certainly those handful of scammers that give us all a bad name, but to paint everyone with the same brush is just wrong. Unfortunately, it seems like there are those like SWA/FO that wind up in positions of leadership within flight ops of our airlines. Sounds like your OAK CP's might be an example.

On a related note, I read a few months ago about a national guardsman/Southwest ramp agent from MCI who was killed in combat in the desert. He was a pretty senior NCO who could have retired years ago, but he continued to serve for personal and patriotic reasons. I wonder if his fellow rampers felt like SWA/FO and resented his "working his plan" over the years as he had to drop shifts and work his ramp schedule around his military service? Did they also think he was just "double-dipping" for the money and using USERRA to his advantage? My guess is no, that they were proud of him, his service and his sacrifice and they were saddened by his loss in the line of duty.

Thankfully, I do believe that people like SWA/FO are in the minority. Hopefully you won't have to fly with him/her when the name changes to SWA/CA ;)

Back to the original reason for my response here to the 2006 hiring stats at SWA. I was just wondering out loud if there is more to the story, i.e. employers are shying away from hiring guard/reserve applicants due to potential future military leave conflict. This has been documented with some companies ("just the facts.."), could this be the case with pilot hiring? Illegal but hard to prove as long as everyone goes through the same interview process. The hiring committee does not have to say why.

Just my two cents. Thanks for your service RedDog and my comments are not meant to bash Southwest, just wondering if there is a change in hiring philosophy going on in the industry due to the military's extensive use of guard/reserve in the past few years.

Ben

Unfortunately, it seems like there are those like SWA/FO that wind up in positions of leadership within flight ops of our airlines.

I don't see that happening....

You guys talk like the SWA/FO is Jane Fonda or something! He knows that not all Mil guys are scamers. Just like some union guys actually do it for the good of the union. :)

:puke: SWA/FO, your comments make me both sick and sad. Why don't you just shut up if you don't have anything good to say? I know, I know you are just trying to stir the pot but the last thing we need is another Mil/Civ feud.

Latest resources

Back