• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA 2006 New Hire Pilot Demograhpics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Should I wear my leather flight jacket to the interview? I just bought a Be-Dazzler last week and put some bitchen rhinestones on the shoulders. I look like freakin MacArthur wearing that thing now.

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there!!! :laugh:

I am not who you think I am...Easy is a great guy and his offspring (all 3) are definately their fathers sons.
After reading my post again I realize how anti regional it sounds...I tryed to edit again...guess it only lets you edit once. Sorry Regional Airline guys and gals!!! To the point I was trying to make and failed miserably at:
There are many paths...I know we hire all kinds of guys and gals from all segments of the industry (I think this is a great thing). However...as far as civilians go I think that many people once out of college are overly focused on going to a regional airline. There are many other ways to get the time SWA requires. I was one of those guys doing everything I could to get to a regional. I went to one...three weeks later...the worst happened...(9/11)...and I was out on the street. I was one of the lucky ones that found one of those alternate routes and it worked out great.
The reason I posted what I did was is because many folks who will read this thread are searching for their own path...I thought I could help.
While flying freight is one way, as stated above, there are several ways (eg Fracs, Corporate, etc)
Again...sorry if i offended anyone by my previous statement....If you read my previous posts you will see I am not a flame baiter.
Good luck to all trying to get here...its a great place with wonderful people.

Got a question. I've kept my profile updated with Southwest every 12-18 months or so over the last 5 years but I haven't been really "knocking on their door" so to speak, until here recently.

What chances do I have being a corporate guy for 10 years with minimums much higher than they adverstise? Non-military and nothing flown bigger than a Hawker 800.

Will I ever get the call, and if so, when should I be looking for one?

I came over from the corporate world. And there are others. I would say that if you had the type you would get called pretty quick. Without the type It would be a matter of how many people in front of you had the type. This is not official info, but mere speculation on my part. I have a corporate buddy who has kept his app updated forever without the type, but no call.
He is well in excess of the minimums time wise, with lots of types, and well educated. I got the type without an interview, and after I updated my file I got the call within a couple of months.

Answer: Got a magic 8-Ball?
If you want a job (IMHO) it is a good thing to show interest. I updated my app. after every trip I went on. Had the type and the time 2 yrs before the call came. So if there is a magic formula, I do not know it. I would suggest continually updating your online app. and if you don't have the type and are willing to gamble go and get it. Good luck. Hope you get the call.
FR8

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with hiring or the people dept. I have no real insight except my own experiences.

Making radio calls is fun so is reading the jepps but bombing $hit is a gas.... and I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

One interviewer asked me if I was military when we entered the interview room and when I responded "how did you know" she stated the military guys were usually a cut above the rest. She cited my appearance and my paperwork being typed instead of hand written
The same interviewer asked if I was civilian when we entered the interview room and when I responded "how did you know" she stated the civilian guys weren't arrogant pricks. She cited my humility and non-obnoxious A-type personality.

Sorry, afhercdriver, but I just couldn't resist. Actually I haven't seen the usual military/civilian riff at SWA that I have seen elsewhere. Everyone I've come into contact with, from Top Gun grads to night-riding, piston-pounding freight dogs have been super cool folks. I think they try pretty hard to weed out the a-holes regardless of background. They are also smart enough to realize that military training does not necessarily make a better pilot,and that you don't have to come from a 121 background to learn to ho to operate in the airline environment. All-in-all, I think they do a great job of hiring pilots. Sort of makes me wonder how I slipped through the cracks!

Last edited:
The same interviewer asked if I was civilian when we entered the interview room and when I responded "how did you know" she stated the civilian guys weren't arrogant pricks. She cited my humility and non-obnoxious A-type personality.

Not likely based on your post. This was just my experience. Did you read the entire post? I was simply trying to provide some good feeback for future interviewees.

Disregard ATRCAPT! I'm not here to offend or tick off anyone.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back