• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sure, Blow Off That College Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to admit, pilotyip, that you have a HUGE chip on your shoulders with this college degree thing.

I guess I do have a chip. But your post fit in with all of the "The only way to succeed in life is to get a college degree" This is the battle cry of the country from President Obama on down.

Yet 100,000's of good paying job in this country go unfilled because no one has the skills to do them. In high schools all over the country vocational education has vanished, because the college educated teachers marked it as a place for losers who were not college material.

Parent look at vocational training a consolation prize for other people's kids, but my kids are going to go to college.

Yes and we agree it has nothing to do with flying an airplane, and I was fortunate that I joined the Navy during Vietnam where even shop teachers could get into flight training.:eek:

But your post fit in with all of the "The only way to succeed in life is to get a college degree" This is the battle cry of the country from President Obama on down. :

I did not say that. I guess this is where a college educated person will prevail-reading comprehension and analytical thinking; just kidding, old timer, just kidding.... Don't have a heart attack, please.:beer:
The key point in my post is that a college degree opens doors and thus provides more opportunities. I did not make the rules.

The key point in my post is that a college degree opens doors and thus provides more opportunities. I did not make the rules.
I don't buy it, I look at a few of my nieces and nephews with tons of student debt, all in their 30's. They have degrees in Art, Photography, and French History. The degree has opened no doors 10 years after graduation. Well that is if you don't count working in an art gallery for min wage, working in a nursing home, and working at a book store as a stock clerk. But I look at others in my family without degrees who learned skills in the militarily, pilot, ATC they have great jobs. I look at my brother in-law, two years at an auto tech school, owns his own business make well into six figures. You are telling me that degrees in art, photography and french history degrees are going to offer more opportunities than those who are educated to do something but do not have a degree?

BTW: I don't mind the age thing at all, if things work out for you you may be old some day also:laugh:

I don't buy it, I look at a few of my nieces and nephews with tons of student debt, all in their 30's. They have degrees in Art, Photography, and French History. The degree has opened no doors 10 years after graduation. Well that is if you don't count working in an art gallery for min wage, working in a nursing home, and working at a book store as a stock clerk. But I look at others in my family without degrees who learned skills in the militarily, pilot, ATC they have great jobs. I look at my brother in-law, two years at an auto tech school, owns his own business make well into six figures. You are telling me that degrees in art, photography and french history degrees are going to offer more opportunities than those who are educated to do something but do not have a degree?

BTW: I don't mind the age thing at all, if things work out for you you may be old some day also:laugh:

Okay, I can see that this discussion is going nowhere. I totally get it- someone has to pick the strawberries, mow the lawn, change oil, do manual labor, work more/harder for less, etc. Everyone in my family and all my friends who have a college degree or higher have high paying and successful careers, so we must be the minority.:rolleyes: We must live on a different planet, you and I.

Okay, I can see that this discussion is going nowhere. I totally get it- someone has to pick the strawberries, mow the lawn, change oil, do manual labor, work more/harder for less, etc. Everyone in my family and all my friends who have a college degree or higher have high paying and successful careers, so we must be the minority.:rolleyes: We must live on a different planet, you and I.

So you are not looking down from a superior position when you call non-college grads strawberries, mow the lawn, change oil, etc. It might be a misread on my part, but in my humble option it smacks of elitism. No credit at all for the guys who have skills beyond the lib arts college grads, like Nuclear Medicine, Nuclear power plant operator, small business owner having a great career. Nope in your option as posted here all non-grads are strawberry pickers.

So you are not looking down from a superior position when you call non-college grads strawberries, mow the lawn, change oil, etc. It might be a misread on my part, but in my humble option it smacks of elitism. No credit at all for the guys who have skills beyond the lib arts college grads, like Nuclear Medicine, Nuclear power plant operator, small business owner having a great career. Nope in your option as posted here all non-grads are strawberry pickers.

Speaking from experience, when I feel inferior or defensive, what is said about me is somewhat true (sometimes, they are right on 100%). We all posses pride, ego, and arrogance. It is the root of all evil. If you can admit this simple fact, you can move on with your life and accept things for what they truly are.
You are putting words into my mouth. I don't consider myself an elitist. Let's look at it from a layman's point of view. Let's assume Joe and John have similar IQs. Joe just finished high school and he wants to join the work force right away. What are his option? John goes off to college and gets a degree in Computer Science. What are his career options? I can certainly tell you that John is not going to be picking strawberries, become a gardener, or work at Jiffy Lube changing oil for minimum wage! I'm simply stating the fact that without a college degree, one has just limited him/her self of many opportunities. If you can't check that box on an application, you are simply not qualified, says this world we live in. It is what it is. We must lie in the bed we make, that's all.

You are putting words into my mouth. I don't consider myself an elitist. Let's look at it from a layman's point of view. Let's assume Joe and John have similar IQs. Joe just finished high school and he wants to join the work force right away. What are his option? John goes off to college and gets a degree in Computer Science. What are his career options? I can certainly tell you that John is not going to be picking strawberries, become a gardener, or work at Jiffy Lube changing oil for minimum wage! I'm simply stating the fact that without a college degree, one has just limited him/her self of many opportunities. If you can't check that box on an application, you are simply not qualified, says this world we live in. It is what it is. We must lie in the bed we make, that's all.
Please, we are not talking about Yale, U of M, or even MIT as the universal example of getting a college degree; we are talking about a degree from Bumblebee State. The degree from Bumblebee State requires no time on campus, no classroom attendance, and only money. Yet the Bumblebee State will still check the box in the lower left corner, same as Yale.

Many college graduate tried getting into Navy Flight Training in the mid 60?s to avoid being drafted into the Army, many did not make it because the intelligence levels required to have a high probability of successful program completion were in excess of those who attended college. Yet 2 year degree guys got in and finished. How can that be? That includes my Aircraft Commander I flew with in Vietnam, one of the finest sticks and people I have ever known.

Lets see John goes of to college and get a degree in Gender Studies from Bubblebee State, 60 credits for life experiences in both genders. Joe just finished high and decided to join the Navy and become a Nuclear Power Plant Operator, after six years he gets out and land a $100K job as a supervisor at a Nuclear Power Plant. I worked around these kids they were fantastic, so far superior to many college graduates I know. But Joe is a failure in your eyes and will never amount to anything and well John with his college degree is going to have fantastic career. Is that what you are telling me. What about the guy that drops out after two years of college joins the Army flies C-12 in VIP transportation and gets hired a NJ without a degree, he will never amount to anything compared to John. Sue went in the Army after High School worked in Tower then Approach and got out got a job in ATC, now works in Cleveland Center, making I bet over 100K+, but she also is a failure compared to John and his degree in Gender Studies.

You have stated your case there are only two options college or nothing, I just happen to think this is not the case in life.

Quick story a few years back I am traveling in the back, sitting next to a guy, he finds out I am a Navy guy. He laments that is daughter Valedictorian of her class, elected not to go to college, but to join the Navy and become a Nuclear Power Plant Operator. He was disappointed because she was not going to college. I explained she had gotten into an elite program, where at the end her of her 6 years, the Navy paid pay her $100,000 to sign up another four years. Because there were so many high paying jobs out there for people with her skills and knowledge. That she would have the GI Bill to go to college for free. He felt much better about his daughter?s choice after we talked.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back