• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Summer Surcharge Fees from Major Domestic Carriers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So wait, you think SWA will go to Copenhagen too? Kinda like Ryanair and Easyjet coming to the States, right? Well, you guys said originally that you would never go back to DEN, or go into a place like LGA or PHL, so maybe you guys will change your minds SOMEDAY. But first, your mangement has to trust you enough to fly to Hawaii or Mexico/Canada. Initially they wanted Westjet and Volaris to do it, thinking I guess that those guys could handle it. With you guys slow learning VNAV and the new PFD, they thought it would be overwhelming for you probably. Good luck in achieving those lofty dreams.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hmmm, SWA to Copenhagen huh? Hey more options to commute to/from the states.

Hmmm, SWA to Copenhagen huh? Hey more options to commute to/from the states.

According to Chase, YES. Of course he also thinks SWA will get Space Shuttles and Sonic Cruisers.....all for Intra Texas flying. It's ON! AUS to HRL in 4 mins! IT'S ON! ELP to DAL in 6 MINS! IT'S ON!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Delta has a 40 year head start. Southwest will go to places that even make the General sound cool but it'll be after I'm gone.

Which is fine by me.

Gup

According to Chase, YES. Of course he also thinks SWA will get Space Shuttles and Sonic Cruisers.....all for Intra Texas flying. It's ON! AUS to HRL in 4 mins! IT'S ON! ELP to DAL in 6 MINS! IT'S ON!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well as of today NASA does have one shuttle available (a great 25 years of service Atlantis!) and two more available in around 5-6 months. How about taking the Atlantis to Copenhagen. lol

Hey, how about the airline charges what it actually costs to fly!

or better yet, more than it costs to drive.

On any given day, we transport people in a faster and safer way than driving a car, not to mention pax have the time to themselves......yet pilots willing to work for pithy wages and work rules allow "bargain airlines" to charge less than the real value of it.

Someone please do the General a favor and throw a tarp over him. He's embarrassing himself and doesn't even realize it.

GL,

39 years ago Braniff and Trans-Texas airlines attempted to prevent a small upstart airline to begin operation. With only 3 airplanes Southwest Airlines began operations with a pretty simple schedule.

If anyone had predicted SWA would grow to 537 airplanes and become the largest domestic carrier they would become.....should we say skeptical...kind of like some are toward SWA expanding into international flying...again, not today, tomorrow or this year....I'm just saying, there are great opportunities for any airline that treats their customers well while at the same time treating their employees as good while finding the operational efficiencies with a pricing model that is profitable.

The airline analysts out there believe the consolidation airlines and alliances are the wave of the future to accomplish all of that. They maybe right.... there maybe a different way to accomplish that goal and that model may not even exist right now but could blossum from an unexpected source. Could it be SWA? Could it be Virgin Air/Virgin America? How about AA/JB?

Who knows but anyone who underestimates those airlines that have a track record of success is similiar to what has allowed those same airlines to prosper.

Ironically, the biggest naysayers of the SWA experiment are no longer around. I have no crystal ball but do believe there are lessons to be learned from airline history.

GL,

39 years ago Braniff and Trans-Texas airlines attempted to prevent a small upstart airline to begin operation. With only 3 airplanes Southwest Airlines began operations with a pretty simple schedule.

If anyone had predicted SWA would grow to 537 airplanes and become the largest domestic carrier they would become.....should we say skeptical...kind of like some are toward SWA expanding into international flying...again, not today, tomorrow or this year....I'm just saying, there are great opportunities for any airline that treats their customers well while at the same time treating their employees as good while finding the operational efficiencies with a pricing model that is profitable.

The airline analysts out there believe the consolidation airlines and alliances are the wave of the future to accomplish all of that. They maybe right.... there maybe a different way to accomplish that goal and that model may not even exist right now but could blossum from an unexpected source. Could it be SWA? Could it be Virgin Air/Virgin America? How about AA/JB?

Who knows but anyone who underestimates those airlines that have a track record of success is similiar to what has allowed those same airlines to prosper.

Ironically, the biggest naysayers of the SWA experiment are no longer around. I have no crystal ball but do believe there are lessons to be learned from airline history.

Sure, history is something we can all learn from. How did People's Express do? Originally they were a domestic LCC out of EWR, and they grew quickly. Before anyone knew it, they decided to leave their comfort zone and grow into something they had little understand of, INTL travel. They thought their own LCC model would work across the Atlantic, providing cheap travel over long distances. How did that work out? The whole airline went bust, and merged into present day CAL. Your 737-700s will NOT be flying across the ATLANTIC, and if you get away from your "derivative" aircraft model (staying with one type for advantageous cost reasons---parts, training etc), your costs will soar. Your service is tollerable for maybe 5 hours without inflight entertainment or bigger meal service, but across the pond will require a lot more, which means more costs. When was the last attempt at a pond crossing LCC? I think it has been awhile, and even though Ryanair has threatened it (mainly in their futile attempt to buy Aerlingus which the GOV'T said a big NO to), they still haven't tried it, and for good reason. But, I would love to see you guys try it! Go for it, it will be FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Someone please do the General a favor and throw a tarp over him. He's embarrassing himself and doesn't even realize it.

Thanks Dad. BTW, please take your hand out of your pants and get away from the computer. Go do something productive.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It's like a few extra large ice cubes in a fresh Coca Cola. Ahhhhhh!
Bye Bye--General Lee
I encourage you to enjoy one of those on your next trip to Mexico City. :laugh:

The bag rip-off will end just as soon as someone sells Expedia, et.al on the software necessary to calculate the total fee-inclusive price as soon as you select a city-pair. Right now they can get away with it, but technology always fills the ignorace gap. Sometimes with more ignorance, but that's another issue.

Latest resources

Back