Summer Surcharge Fees from Major Domestic Carriers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General,

Not bragging General, just posting the article with some commentary about "leadership", something that gets talked about here quite often.
Most of the time it is when "leadership", i.e. management is sticking it to the pilots on this forum and their is plenty of angst expressed.

No pilots made the decision to charge for bags but as you said, management did (and you apparently approve of it).... money is being left on the table by SWA and being swept up by your leadership/management and others. The consensus out there among many analysts is "more, more more...good on them".

Why should you care if the passengers, the folks who pay the freight are getting misled with misleading fares that come with an additional baggage fee(s).

However, please don't come back on the forum and complain about the same leadership/management that uses the same approach (taking money off the table) in dealing harshly or in an unfair manner with a labor group and wishes to keep some of that money you feel you are entitled too.

The management you praise now will act with the same degree of callousness and disregard for you as they are for their passengers.

What's good for the goose is good for the labor groups also...no surprises.

BTW, I got a great idea recently from one of our CAs...I now tell each plane load of passengers approximately how much money SWA is saving them on each flight with the bags fly free program...on average around $2-$3000 per flight when averaging about 100 bags per flight at an average cost of $25 per bag. They all hoop and holler and usually say thanks on the way out.

Why don't you try the reverse and thank all your passengers as they are walking out, "hey sorry to take an extra $3-$4000 out of ya'ls pocket but we can't make money otherwise without these bag fees." Let me know how that conversation goes. ;)

That's great Chase, keep telling the local yokals in LBB how great they are. Most of where I usually fly there is NO direct competition with a LCC, just the big boys flying INTL routes. I do say goodbye (in different languages sometimes) to as many passengers as I can, and then I go see some place worth seeing, not the Ronkonkoma Holiday Inn you see in ISP. And when it comes to service and amenities, it is hard to beat INTL flights. Our planes have TVs, movies, Dish Network on Domestic flights, etc. We eat real meals (in Business Class and higher), and passengers get what they want, a real sleep in a big seat (almost lie flat on the 767-300ER, actual lie flat on the 764 and 777), a nice meal with an ice cream sundae, and an amenity kit in 1st. Guess what? These people can afford it, or bill it to their clients. Even the coach passengers are happy, with free booze and a meal. You guys are in a different league---you fly people like a bus takes passengers around town. Get on, eat some peanuts, and get off. That isn't the case in INTL flying. I know you can't understand that, primarily because you don't know the difference. You fly multiple leg days, with quick turns, on one plane, forever. And I bet you are good at it. Good for you bud, good for you. Try not to compare our airlines, since yours doesn't do half of what mine does. There really is a WHOLE other world out there that you just don't see. Your quick layovers are affecting your vision. Again, I do say thanks as the pax walk off, all rested after a comfortable, safe flight to a place that would take two weeks by large boat. Your pax are probably happy they didn't have to take Greyhound again.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I just bought my tics on AA for a cruise out of Seattle in July. I didn't notice that the fares were higher. So I guess it wasn't a significant thing. I'll try and let you know about Rome in September, but right now those don't look too bad either. Personally, I'm more worried about the government adding taxes than about a buck or two for the airline. Look at the budgetary s---storm they have in the District right now and I think you'll see my point.

So I gather that you're happy with what you're doing General. That's great. So what exactly is your point?

That's great Chase, keep telling the local yokals in LBB how great they are. Most of where I usually fly there is NO direct competition with a LCC, just the big boys flying INTL routes. I do say goodbye (in different languages sometimes) to as many passengers as I can, and then I go see some place worth seeing, not the Ronkonkoma Holiday Inn you see in ISP. And when it comes to service and amenities, it is hard to beat INTL flights. Our planes have TVs, movies, Dish Network on Domestic flights, etc. We eat real meals (in Business Class and higher), and passengers get what they want, a real sleep in a big seat (almost lie flat on the 767-300ER, actual lie flat on the 764 and 777), a nice meal with an ice cream sundae, and an amenity kit in 1st. Guess what? These people can afford it, or bill it to their clients. Even the coach passengers are happy, with free booze and a meal. You guys are in a different league---you fly people like a bus takes passengers around town. Get on, eat some peanuts, and get off. That isn't the case in INTL flying. I know you can't understand that, primarily because you don't know the difference. You fly multiple leg days, with quick turns, on one plane, forever. And I bet you are good at it. Good for you bud, good for you. Try not to compare our airlines, since yours doesn't do half of what mine does. There really is a WHOLE other world out there that you just don't see. Your quick layovers are affecting your vision. Again, I do say thanks as the pax walk off, all rested after a comfortable, safe flight to a place that would take two weeks by large boat. Your pax are probably happy they didn't have to take Greyhound again.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Buddy, if "your" passengers knew what an internet idiot you are they wouldn't be as comfortable as you claim. They are not in "safe" hands with you. Lucky for them, you're just a gear yanker.

My friends/family will not fly DL just in case you may be in front. Its that serious.

Chase, keep up the good work. You have good reason to be proud of your airline.

Can't believe I have to point this out to you General, but the 'Bags Fly Free' campaign is all about increasing Southwest market share, and apparently is starting to pay off big time. This will be a hugely profitable year for Southwest because of the new passenger that have never thought about flying them.

The 100 dollar plus bag rip off that other carriers are imposing is starting to lead to people voting with their feet, and they are headed to Southwest.

Can't believe I have to point this out to you General, but the 'Bags Fly Free' campaign is all about increasing Southwest market share, and apparently is starting to pay off big time. This will be a hugely profitable year for Southwest because of the new passenger that have never thought about flying them.

The 100 dollar plus bag rip off that other carriers are imposing is starting to lead to people voting with their feet, and they are headed to Southwest.

Seriously, why do you care about so and so campaign? You and I fly airplanes. We should care about things that affect us, not what marketing does. Both of our carriers will be full this Summer, and then both will have fare sales in the Fall. Do you really care about the 100 dollar rip off? Legacy airlines are making a mint doing that, and most people don't seem to care, especially if there aren't any LCCs on the route. You guys are probably doing that because your game plans have changed. You now have to fly to places your original game plan avoided, like LGA, BOS, PHL, etc. You have to keep those planes full just to pay the higher landing fees, extra gas to long taxi there, etc. But, I won't have to worry about any of that next week when I go to Copenhagen. Ever been there? It is FANTASTIC. Talk about nice and cool. It's like a few extra large ice cubes in a fresh Coca Cola. Ahhhhhh!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Seriously, why do you care about so and so campaign? You and I fly airplanes. We should care about things that affect us, not what marketing does. Both of our carriers will be full this Summer, and then both will have fare sales in the Fall. Do you really care about the 100 dollar rip off? Legacy airlines are making a mint doing that, and most people don't seem to care, especially if there aren't any LCCs on the route. You guys are probably doing that because your game plans have changed. You now have to fly to places your original game plan avoided, like LGA, BOS, PHL, etc. You have to keep those planes full just to pay the higher landing fees, extra gas to long taxi there, etc. But, I won't have to worry about any of that next week when I go to Copenhagen. Ever been there? It is FANTASTIC. Talk about nice and cool. It's like a few extra large ice cubes in a fresh Coca Cola. Ahhhhhh!

Bye Bye--General Lee

HA thats a good one. Hi pot this is kettle. GL , all 20k posts of yours are slamming SWA and/or giving your opinion of what management should/could/would, do.

On a side bar. I think the same way you do that SWA should charge all the hidden fees, it called bait and switch, and has worked for over 2000 years. Only difference is that I hope SWA proves me wrong. I think the public is to stupid to realize they are being had, where as SWA thinks the pubic is smart enough to figure out bait and switch. Time will tell and like I said before, I hope I am wrong. JMO

?
We should care about things that affect us, not what marketing does. Both of our carriers will be full this Summer, and then both will have fare sales in the Fall. Do you really care about the 100 dollar rip off?

Marketing directly affects you...it is one of the key elements that brings in the revenue!!!

Yes we will both be full this summer but what will be the attitude of the passengers and will they want to return the next time they fly? If there are no other choices, then they will stick with your airline or others. However, DAL is not exclusive to the vast majority of places. You make it sound like the DAL strategy is "we're banking on all airlines to be as bad at treating its passengers as we are so there is no difference." Now that is a marketing strategy!!!!

When employees of any company, not just airlines, takes this type of attitude toward its customers and acknowledges a "rip off", is it any wonder the public will eventually, not today, tomorrow or next month necessarily, make another choice and go somewhere else.

I don't know what the majority of DAL employees are like but considering the turmoil within their ranks, the distrust they have toward management and other factors I'm not privy too, other competitors like the new UAL will always have the chance to turn things around as long as they listen to their customers and are willing to take a different path...whether they will or not is up to management and the employees...I wish them well.

GL, you are correct we don't compete to Copenhagen or overseas....yet....you give me great encouragement though for SWA one day to go into that market and others overseas considering the customer service vacuum that exist....it makes a difference at some point and your disinterest in how your company is perceived by the very people who pay your wages is pretty amazing...you appear to be more concerned about your overnights and your tales of travel then trying to build a reputation for your company that will last long after you retire but I presume you don't care what happens to DAL after your retire since you have yours, correct? Should management be blamed for getting their golden parachute as is often done if you as current employee seem to have a similar motivation?

I'm sure there are many great DAL employees who don't share your disdain for their customers and I wish them all good luck in keeping the jobs they have worked so hard viable and profitable. You are a piece of work my friend, you truly are :). Good luck to you and your travels and yes, yours is bigger than mine....for now :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
?

Marketing directly affects you...it is one of the key elements that brings in the revenue!!!

Yes we will both be full this summer but what will be the attitude of the passengers and will they want to return the next time they fly? If there are no other choices, then they will stick with your airline or others. However, DAL is not exclusive to the vast majority of places. You make it sound like the DAL strategy is "we're banking on all airlines to be as bad at treating its passengers as we are so there is no difference." Now that is a marketing strategy!!!!

When employees of any company, not just airlines, takes this type of attitude toward its customers and acknowledges a "rip off", is it any wonder the public will eventually, not today, tomorrow or next month necessarily, make another choice and go somewhere else.

I don't know what the majority of DAL employees are like but considering the turmoil within their ranks, the distrust they have toward management and other factors I'm not privy too, other competitors like the new UAL will always have the chance to turn things around as long as they listen to their customers and are willing to take a different path...whether they will or not is up to management and the employees...I wish them well.

GL, you are correct we don't compete to Copenhagen or overseas....yet....you give me great encouragement though for SWA one day to go into that market and others overseas considering the customer service vacuum that exist....it makes a difference at some point and your disinterest in how your company is perceived by the very people who pay your wages is pretty amazing...you appear to be more concerned about your overnights and your tales of travel then trying to build a reputation for your company that will last long after you retire but I presume you don't care what happens to DAL after your retire since you have yours, correct? Should management be blamed for getting their golden parachute as is often done if you as current employee seem to have a similar motivation?

I'm sure there are many great DAL employees who don't share your disdain for their customers and I wish them all good luck in keeping the jobs they have worked so hard viable and profitable. You are a piece of work my friend, you truly are :). Good luck to you and your travels and yes, yours is bigger than mine....for now :)

Cheers.

So wait, you think SWA will go to Copenhagen too? Kinda like Ryanair and Easyjet coming to the States, right? Well, you guys said originally that you would never go back to DEN, or go into a place like LGA or PHL, so maybe you guys will change your minds SOMEDAY. But first, your mangement has to trust you enough to fly to Hawaii or Mexico/Canada. Initially they wanted Westjet and Volaris to do it, thinking I guess that those guys could handle it. With you guys slow learning VNAV and the new PFD, they thought it would be overwhelming for you probably. Good luck in achieving those lofty dreams.

As far as product goes, I would think DL is ahead of the curve in some areas. After JB introduced LiveTV, good ole Song put a Dish Network product out there, and that is still in use today in most of the DL-S 767s, 757s, and 738s. I am sure they will go over to the N fleet soon. That product is miles ahead of any inflight SWA product, including your goofy jokes by the stews. That can't compete with watching South Park live on Comedy Central, sorry. The internal turmoil you talk about really isn't evident as you say. Most people are happy with the merger so far, and the flight attendants are still working out their differences with the votes on a union. You guys should know about unions, you have more than anyone.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back