September 28, 2009
Mr. Douglas Parker
CEO & Chairman of the Board
US Airways, Inc.
111 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe, Arizona 85281

VIA EMAIL

Dear Doug:

I'm writing to express my complete and utter disappointment with today's announcement that Captain Sullenberger will be appointed to a management position within the company. In fact, as a result of Capt. Sullenberger's decision to use his new found fame as a weapon against 1800 former America West pilots in a recent federal court case over pilot seniority, I find the company's announcement particularly insulting. Not only does this decision now forever discredit the company's purported "neutrality" in the pilot seniority issue, but it also calls in to question the credibility of the entire safety management team. As I hope you'll agree, it is in everybody's best interests to keep flight safety an issue that is far removed from politics.

I can respect that Capt. Sullenberger has his own personal opinions regarding the seniority situation, however, I believe that his decision to testify in court raises reasonable question as to his ability to adequately perform his new duties without bias. Capt. Sullenberger did not provide any relevant testimony in the case, and was only called to testify by USAPA in the hopes that his celebrity status would unfairly influence a jury. Instead of limiting the use his celebrity status in support of productive goals such as promoting aviation safety and the image of US Airways, he blatantly abused that status by unnecessarily inserting himself on the losing side of an issue that he played no prior role in. I cannot be reasonably assured that he would not similarly misuse his position in management.

While I'm certain that this letter will fall on deaf ears, I can assure you that this letter by no means an end to this issue, and that you will be in need of much more than a well polished statement at a crew news session to address it.

Sincerely,
/s/
Mitch Vasin
PHX 320 FO

I have to say that I was a bit dissapointed to hear that he was becoming a "management pilot." They reported that on the news today as though it was some kind of promotion earned from what he and his crew accomplished. The inference was that he was rewarded a managment postion...........................................

Last edited:
Maybe it is just about being closer to California?

Or.... Could be that he was put in this position (I believe it is in the safety department) because he actually experienced and survived a catastrophic event? As we know, there have been many pilots that have taken management positions with (much) less life experience.

Just .02, and the rest is getting old.

Or.... Could be that he was put in this position (I believe it is in the safety department) because he actually experienced and survived a catastrophic event? As we know, there have been many pilots that have taken management positions with (much) less life experience.

Just .02, and the rest is getting old.

Well that would make too much sense for flightinfo.

Sully's educational background is "safety" as is his professional expertise and consulting business, aside from being a safety professional (as are all airline pilots). He's a safety guy who wants a safety job closer to home. How cool is it that his current employer can provide that? Would the letter-writer feel happier if his company hired an experienced safety expert with these exact qualifications off the street? I'm at a loss as to how this is perceived as a slight against anyone.

Nicely written letter, but you might want to leave out the last paragraph in the future. It's more persuasive to skip the emotional response and tell them what they can do to remedy the situation. If you think they should send sully back to the line then say that.

Scott

Nicely written letter, but you might want to leave out the last paragraph in the future. It's more persuasive to skip the emotional response and tell them what they can do to remedy the situation. If you think they should send sully back to the line then say that.

Scott

I did not write the letter but it does echo the thoughts of many of our pilot group. We applaud the outcome of the events on that day in January but are less than enthusiastic about his attempts to influence the jury with his "hero" status.

Sully's educational background is "safety" as is his professional expertise and consulting business, aside from being a safety professional (as are all airline pilots). He's a safety guy who wants a safety job closer to home. How cool is it that his current employer can provide that? Would the letter-writer feel happier if his company hired an experienced safety expert with these exact qualifications off the street? I'm at a loss as to how this is perceived as a slight against anyone.

Furloughed pilots with "safety" backgrounds weren't even dignified with a rejection letter when they applied. Sully, after a seven figure book deal, was then given the job. It's a publicity stunt through and through. And being that a qualified furloughed pilot could have been hired off the street, I'd say YES, the letter-writer would have felt happier. If you're at a loss, you haven't a clue!!!!

Open letter to Doug Parker.

September 28, 2009
Mr. Douglas Parker
CEO & Chairman of the Board
US Airways, Inc.
111 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe, Arizona 85281

VIA EMAIL

Dear Doug:

I'm writing to express my complete and utter disappointment with today's announcement that Captain Sullenberger will be appointed to a management position within the company. In fact, as a result of Capt. Sullenberger's decision to use his new found fame as a weapon against 1800 former America West pilots in a recent federal court case over pilot seniority, I find the company's announcement particularly insulting. Not only does this decision now forever discredit the company's purported "neutrality" in the pilot seniority issue, but it also calls in to question the credibility of the entire safety management team. As I hope you'll agree, it is in everybody's best interests to keep flight safety an issue that is far removed from politics.

I can respect that Capt. Sullenberger has his own personal opinions regarding the seniority situation, however, I believe that his decision to testify in court raises reasonable question as to his ability to adequately perform his new duties without bias. Capt. Sullenberger did not provide any relevant testimony in the case, and was only called to testify by USAPA in the hopes that his celebrity status would unfairly influence a jury. Instead of limiting the use his celebrity status in support of productive goals such as promoting aviation safety and the image of US Airways, he blatantly abused that status by unnecessarily inserting himself on the losing side of an issue that he played no prior role in. I cannot be reasonably assured that he would not similarly misuse his position in management.

While I'm certain that this letter will fall on deaf ears, I can assure you that this letter by no means an end to this issue, and that you will be in need of much more than a well polished statement at a crew news session to address it.

Sincerely,
/s/
Mitch Vasin
PHX 320 FO

Vasin, a rookie pilot with a few years at AWA and former commuter pilot. What a surprise.

M

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back