Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Study Finds Opening Love Field to Long-Haul flying would have Serious Conserquences

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not exactly the Wright Amendment, but very interesting

Southwest proposal to serve Boeing Field rejected by local government

Wednesday October 12, 2005 Southwest Airlines' proposal to transfer its operations from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to King County International Airport, better known as Boeing Field, was rejected yesterday by King County Executive Ron Sims, who cited noise and traffic concerns as well as the potential cost to taxpayers and unresolved legal issues (ATWOnline, July 22).

Southwest had offered to spend $130 million to construct passenger facilities at Boeing Field to handle up to 85 daily flights. It cited steadily increasing costs at Sea-Tac that "have become an obstacle to growth" in the region. But its move was opposed by Sea-Tac and its primary tenant Alaska Airlines, which said that if Southwest moved it would be forced to follow.

"We are disappointed that our proposal was not given the comprehensive examination it deserved," said Southwest CEO Gary Kelly. "We will explore every option to expand and preserve our low-fare service in the region."

enigma said:
I've got to call BS on this one. Legend was well financed and well managed. The market did NOT determine their fate, the court battles they were force to fight used up all of their cash and AA's obviously predatory competition was too much. If AA were still flying fifty six seat MD80's out of Love, I might be on your side, but they aren't. To my logic, the very fact that AA flew aircraft capable of seating 172 pax out of Love, and then stopped as soon as Legend went out proves to me that AA isn't interested in fairness and equity.

enigma

My turn to call BS!

AA never flew 56 eat MD80s out of DAL - they were 56 seat F100s, that can only seat 86 in normal configuration. Just like Legend's DC9s that could seat 100+.

AA's MD80s can't even seat 172, we only have 136 seats.

Fairness and equity? Dude, are you in the airline industry?

enigma said:
I've got to call BS on this one. Legend was well financed and well managed. The market did NOT determine their fate, the court battles they were force to fight used up all of their cash and AA's obviously predatory competition was too much. If AA were still flying fifty six seat MD80's out of Love, I might be on your side, but they aren't. To my logic, the very fact that AA flew aircraft capable of seating 172 pax out of Love, and then stopped as soon as Legend went out proves to me that AA isn't interested in fairness and equity.

enigma

AA did what any company would do. Legend tried to start up a carrier for a niche market out of DAL and AA responded.

What do you think AA should have done? Just let their premium paying high dollar customers walk to another airline without AA doing anything?

AA is interested in making money and protecting its home turf. There is nothing wrong with that.

Dangerkitty said:
AA is interested in making money and protecting its home turf. There is nothing wrong with that.

Southwest is also interested in "Making Money" and protecting its home turf! Say Goodbye to the WA!

Dangerkitty --"AA is interested in making money and protecting its home turf. There is nothing wrong with that." You are exactly correct, so what is your beef with SWA doing the exact same thing?

Jim Smyth said:
737 Type Ah?........................

Still holding grudges?......................

Yawn..........

I guess you are thinking I went and got a B-737 type to try to get on with SWA. Nope, sorry wrong answer. I am done with the airlines.

I never have nor will I interview with SWA. I dont need to.

OffHot said:
Dangerkitty --"AA is interested in making money and protecting its home turf. There is nothing wrong with that." You are exactly correct, so what is your beef with SWA doing the exact same thing?

I have no problem with SWA trying to make money and protecting their flying in their backyard. However, if SWA wants to fly beyond the boundries of the WA then why can't they do it out of DFW? Just like every other airline is required to do?

OK, I've been reading this long enough. DangerKitty you sound like the democrats trying to shoot down Chief Justice Roberts in the senate confirmation hearings. If you don't care about AA or SWA, go away. It is obvious you have some emotion over this issue. While you are busy throwing stones here you should remember that AA has always been the king of dirty pool! They don't have an ethical bone in their managerial body. Don't even try to justify the Legend thing. What goes around comes around and it's time to lower fares in North Texas. At least you have Eddie Berniece Johnson or whatever her name is in your corner!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back