• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strobes on the ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm quite familiar with the FAA. Believe it or not they would agree. If you have an MEL...it will dictate your type of operation...Day/ night and any restrictions. I think the days of "The FAA sits in the Tower" are over.

Just fly the plane.

MEL's aside...I don't think the issue is whether the stobes must be functional. The question seems to be whether they must be on all the time.

91.205(b)11, 91.205(c)(3), and 91.209(b) are the regs I'm looking at. Any others?

I hate being blinded by others, and I imagine other pilots would prefer that I not blind them. So, for me, the beacon comes on before starting and the strobes follow after I'm cleared for T/O and I cross the hold short.

During the day, I do the same thing for uniformity. Oops? If you don't see the big plane rolling towards you at a brisk walk in daylight, then little twinkling lights aren't going to improve your vision. That is why pilots (should) keep the ol' brain buckets on a swivel and stay aware of the surroundings.

While we are on this topic, the light from some of these strobes and landing lights can really hit your vision and depth perception at the wrong time...like on landing. This can be bad, obviously. When taxiing or waiting for departure, just stay aware of aircraft in the pattern.

Last edited:
Safety? Most flight schools owners I knew of would have their instructors train to keep them off while on the ground so as to increase the replacement intervals. No landing light operations either, except at night. Forget about "operation lights on" - 10,000 and 10 miles.

Safety? Most flight schools owners I knew of would have their instructors train to keep them off while on the ground so as to increase the replacement intervals. No landing light operations either, except at night. Forget about "operation lights on" - 10,000 and 10 miles.

Typical flight school. This is becoming more typical with airplanes, money before safety. Remember you are the PIC.

TBO.....what is that?

The school I work for has two airplanes with no red beacon. A Katana and an Arrow. We NEVER use the strobes at night until we're clear of the runup area taxiing onto the runway. After landing the strobes come off clear of the runway. They blind other pilots and can blind the guy sitting inside the plane too. Obviously the position lights are on and the taxi light comes on as needed so the plane isn't invisible. It is legal and the FAR has been quoted enough here so i dont think i need to. End - o - story.

g

If an aircraft is on the ground, unless it is on an active runway, each flash of the strobe lights screams "amateur!...amateur!...amateur!...amateur!... .

If an aircraft is on the ground, unless it is on an active runway, each flash of the strobe lights screams "amateur!...amateur!...amateur!...amateur!... .

Ask one of the Cirrus owners that have been fined if they are a amateur? I guess that makes the Feds rookies too? The question was regarding regulations and unless you have specifics to add why post anything at all.

Ask one of the Cirrus owners that have been fined if they are a amateur? I guess that makes the Feds rookies too? The question was regarding regulations and unless you have specifics to add why post anything at all.

do you have any specifics? because i don't see how if the reg says to "turn off the strobes"when you think it's safe, you get fined for following that reg. i'd like a case file number if you can produce it.

I'll see what I can dig up, but the way I understand it there have been some dispute between pilots and the FAA on when it is a safety issue.

Why can't the FAA just require a red rotating becon? Why can't Cirrus put one on their half million dollar single engine piston a/c? Ranks right up there with, " "why does a Pilatus need so many landing lights"?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back