• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strobes on the ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are operating a cirrus or a columbia that is now equipped with a beacon light you might get a fine from the FAA for not having the strobes on, as they are required any time that the engine is running.

That would be the dumbest thing I have ever seen...if it happens.

If you are operating a cirrus or a columbia that is now equipped with a beacon light you might get a fine from the FAA for not having the strobes on, as they are required any time that the engine is running.

Can you quote that reg, I can't seem to find that one?

Nosehair already quoted the appropriate reg above (91.209). If you don't have a beacon then the strobes are the approved anticollision light system and are required to be on when the engine is running, *unless* the pilot in command determines that it would be in the interest of safety to turn them off. If an inspector tries to give you a fine for operating with the strobes off, just tell him you saw him standing there and didn't want to jeapordize safety by blinding the FAA :)

Nosehair already quoted the appropriate reg above (91.209). If you don't have a beacon then the strobes are the approved anticollision light system and are required to be on when the engine is running, *unless* the pilot in command determines that it would be in the interest of safety to turn them off. If an inspector tries to give you a fine for operating with the strobes off, just tell him you saw him standing there and didn't want to jeapordize safety by blinding the FAA :)

Do you think that would work, or would it be like saying you did not have your shoulder harness on because you could not perform your duties? (If you have worked at night lately you must have noticed that my strobes are now off until taking the runway in the plane that has this issue; and for the life of me I still can not figure out who you are)

I agree with the above post that all planes should have a beacon. I would use to say that it amazes me that someone will buy a airplane worth more than most houses and not spend a couple of hundred bucks to put a beacon on it, BUT after this summer nothing surprises me.

Last edited:

Is this an aircraft limitation?

I agree with the above post that all planes should have a beacon.

I disagree. It's equipped great. If it's not, are you really gaining anything by installing one? Doubtful.

Beacons were installed on turbojet airplanes to warn of engine operation on the ground. That's the design and purpose. Certainly it can be used on turbopropeller and piston airplanes, helicopters, etc. Some like to leave the beacon on all the time to warn of a master switch that's been accidentally left on. Whatever floats one's boat. But to suggest that the beacon should be in all aircraft or that all aircraft should be required to have a beacon, is a bit of a stretch.

Actually I can, but need to get my regs book, but you are required, will post it tomorrow.

This is from the reg:

(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off..

And there is a placard, placed next to the strobe switch, which is required per the Whelen strobe STC, in the airplane which reads:

"Turn off strobes when on the ground in the vicinity of other aircraft, and during flight in clouds."

This is an operating limitation and over rides the reg, per the type certificate, so your must be on, goes out the window.

On many regional jets, the red beacon also activates the cockpit voice recorder. This will enable the CVR to operate on the ground. Otherwise, it is only activated by the weight off wheels circuit.

Federal Aviation Regulations are not always cut and dried. They are more objective than subjective. They are written purposfully in a gray area in order to be interpeted easily in different manners.

Unfortunatly sometimes the FAA does not agree.

As relates to this discussion, how does your statement apply? Do you still assert that the strobes are required, regardless of safety, in order to be legal in the Cirrus? This has been shown not to be the case.

Explain.

Latest resources

Back