Strobe light taxi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh yes, good ole part 91...

I know our MEL REQUIRES the strobes to be on at night if the Beacon is either inop or not installed on an aircraft, even on the ground. Part 135 though.

starchkr said:
Ahh yes, good ole part 91...

I know our MEL REQUIRES the strobes to be on at night if the Beacon is either inop or not installed on an aircraft, even on the ground. Part 135 though.

Does your MEL require the strobes to be "ON", or just that they must be operational? I didn't think MEL's specified that equipment had to be "ON", just that they must be working.

OK, while we are at it, Don't turn on your App and Flare lights until you are cleared to take off. This is common pratice for %90 of airliners. There are always the few boys that get cleared into position and hold with all guns blasing. Then I have to cross up feild and look at this christmas tree of lights at the end of the runway. My life always passes before my eyes.
Got it Alaska boys?

ALOHA

Well my jet only has landing lights, that we also use for taxi lights.

When I enter a runway "into position and hold" especially at night, I would like to have some lights on, so that people can see me. It is annoying when you have to cross the runway ahead of me, but if I don't have any lights on at night, especially without any moon, like the last few nights, It is almost impossible to see me standing right before the numbers too.

we might be a very small jet, but if you big boys land on top of me we will also make a "boom"

Many believe that when you TAKE the runway...EVERY light ON.

Hey, Dont stare at me when you cross downfield, I aint gonna run you over , but I want to be SEEN on the runway.

Many do this after the LAX accident a few year back. Had they had thier lights on, MAYBE it would not have happened....

On a related matter, it would be nice if people would leave their transponders off until taking the runway. I hate having to put up with TCAS alerts on short final. Especially in RDU!

Your TCAS alerts you that low to the ground? Weird. It's not supposed to do that. Most TCAS systems will inhibite the audible warning below a certain parameter.

Maybe turn it to the "above" mode would stop that, if you can do that with yours.

Some airports require you to have your transponder on while taxiing around the airport. Might see more of this in the future to help ground control out.

Curious what everyone else's take on this is....when you get cleared for takeoff do you turn the strobes on at night no matter what....or do you make special circumstances for yourself....thxs

It's a little inconvienent (sp?) once it's time to roll, but studies have shown that not sitting on the centerline of the runway when you're in position and hold will make you far more visible to another plane on short final. Same goes for when you're using a runway for a taxiway. If you're dead on the centerline, the aircraft lights are more likely to line up with the runway lights and cause you to dissapear. I think this might have been discussed during the investigation for the USAir/Skywest runway collision. I've also heard that not lining up completely with the runway will make one more visible when you're holding in position, but I'm dubious about that one. I guess it has something to do with "not looking right" and it's more likely to catch your eye (as if a plane on your runway looks right?)

Latest resources

Back