• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strictly Aviation ! ! !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The first time I was in an airplane was at Willow Grove NAS in 1960. I was a cub scout on a field trip.

The first time I flew in an airplane was two years later. I think it was a 150 commuter owned by the local flight school guy, and flown by his son, who retired from US Air just a couple of years ago.

The first airplane I flew was a Bellanca that my dad had, when I was 16. Since I was away at boarding school, dad and I didn't fly as often as we could.

The first airplane I soloed was a Cherokee 140, with the hershey wing. It was a lovable little flying brick, cramped and underpowered and stinking hot on the August day when I passed my private checkride with a rather large examiner crammed into the plane next to me. Ah, the importance of a good deodorant soap...

Finally, after a couple of years of flying I was able to take my dad up in a Seneca. We flew to AVP and had ribs at Damon's. It was kind of a "full circle" kind of thing. I'll never forget it.

Maybe the next time I fly him somewhere, I'll own the airplane.

First flight ever: Southwest 737 from MCI to STL Sept 1990

First flight at the controls: C-172 N900CA Feb 2001

First instructional flight: C-150 N61004 March 2001

First solo flight: C-150 N61004 March 2001 (9 hours)

PPL: C-172 N7563G Feb 2003 (58 hours)

reversal

OK OK OK, I just finished ashing people who choose a career in aviation because they love to fly. But who decided they wanted to fly when they sat in the cockpit of an airliner when they were really little?

For myself it's a tie betwen that and hearing a sonic boom from the space shuttle, and then finding out it was 45 miles away when I was 6. The realization that an aircraft could travel so fast that you couldn't hear it until it passed was insane.

My first flight was on a Gulfstream I, N678RW, FTY to ABY at age 4.

Last edited:
My first ride in an airplane was in my Uncle's Ercoupe when I was about 2. I actually remember a little of it, and there is a picture.

My first rides as a pilot a student pilot were in a J-3 cub in the late 60s.

Johnson was still President and I hated his guts for the way he was running the war in Viet Nam. He was an even bigger tool than most Democrat Presidents.

I prayed to God that the war would end, and God answered my prayers by enabling the election of Richard Nixon.

Nixon was a crappy President also, but not as bad as LBJ or Clinton.

By a fantastic coincident, I was in the Godless city of Washington DC the day Nixon did the honorable thing and resigned.

I saw Marine One carrying him over to Andrews for his ride home.

OK OK OK, I just finished ashing people who choose a career in aviation because they love to fly. But who decided they wanted to fly when they sat in the cockpit of an airliner when they were really little?

That would be me, in N15820, a Continental Airlines MD82,on May 29th, 1990 when I was 5. I've wanted to be up flying ever since, heck I wouldnt even mind flying an MD82 just like the one I first sat in.

First flight - PSA 727 Charter MSP - MCO (Age 4) Big smiley face on the nose and everything.

Was goin to see Mickey, but ended up anxious the entire vacation for the flight home. Couldnt wait to get back on the plane.

My first flight was in a Piedmont 727 and the Captain let me sit on his knee for hours in the cockpit while we waited out a blizzard.

Mom woulda killed the guy instantly if he'd tried anything funny, I was 6 at the time.

I guess flying in old airplanes rubbed off on me. I'm flying a 1964 "A" model airplane tomorrow.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Mom woulda killed the guy instantly if he tried anything funny

Joey............Ever seen a grown man naked?

Do you like gladiator movies?

Speaking of Rome.

My first flight was Aug. 15, 1980. LAX-BOS-FCO on a TWA 747.

I was twelve. After we arrived in Rome we took an Alitalia DC9 to
Torino--thunderstorms in the Alps--driving rain--I was sold.

I learned to fly in 1985 in a C152 N757BZ. Brown stripes. Last seen Fullerton Airport in southern California.

Anyone seen it?

Latest resources

Back