Street Captains?????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For heaven's sake, why?

Why would anyone laid off from a major (for example) immediately consign him/her self to the lowest rung of the regional ladder (19k/yr FO) if direct entry captain spots are available? What a waste of talent and experience.

Course, this is what flow-through (in reverse) is supposed to take care of, and I don't think many regional guys are happy with that either.

Having just spent two months solid looking, and with very good qualifications.. I can tell you that a recently laid off pilot might really have no choice. When the 1000+ furloughs hit the street here at the end of summer from the legacies, I can assure you that 95% of them will remain out of aviation if the job market doesn't have a miraculous recovery over the next two months..

If your an ATR pilot you can land a two year street captain contract immediately.

not in the US, or did I miss something? I have 400 PIC in it and got rated back in 1999.. I looked everywhere in the US and was willing to even pay my recurrent.. found one in Ireland and two in Asia.

Calm down folks. Look at the guy's name. Larry H. Junior? Can you say "troll"?

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly that a furloughed major pilot should not resign themselves to one of the lowest rungs of the aviation ladder. I have done it twice and I can tell you it is extremely demoralizing. Not only are you having to try to financially support your family on $19-$25,000/yr, but also to come to the realization that after a decade or more of experience you are once again starting over -- and once again are worth no more than a recent Comair Academy graduate with less than 300 hours TT.

Calm down folks. Look at the guy's name. Larry H. Junior? Can you say "troll"?

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly that a furloughed major pilot should not resign themselves to one of the lowest rungs of the aviation ladder. I have done it twice and I can tell you it is extremely demoralizing. Not only are you having to try to financially support your family on $19-$25,000/yr, but also to come to the realization that after a decade or more of experience you are once again starting over -- and once again are worth no more than a recent Comair Academy graduate with less than 300 hours TT.

I feel your pain brother... This is the only profession that truly places no value on experience. My IT, Finance, and Engineering friends all shake their heads when I explain it.

Do yourself a huge favor and get out of the airline side of flying. Try NetJets. There is absolutely no comparison between the airlines and NetJets. The place is amazing. It's nice to work for a company that knows how to take care of their employees.

WN is starting to interview/hire in July.

For heaven's sake, why?

Why would anyone laid off from a major (for example) immediately consign him/her self to the lowest rung of the regional ladder (19k/yr FO) if direct entry captain spots are available? What a waste of talent and experience.

Course, this is what flow-through (in reverse) is supposed to take care of, and I don't think many regional guys are happy with that either.

Unfortunately in this industry experience is in no way commensurate with pay, only longevity matters. Are there any other careers where you can make a lateral move and not expect your salary to remain at a similar level?

Airbus FO to ERJ FO, or CRJ CA to MD90 FO is going to be a huge cut in pay. I just hope it's not me someday looking for a street captain job at a regional because I am furloughed from a place I thought I would spend the remainder of my career.

There aren't enough 300 hour wonders to fill the right seat at the regionals, yet there are qualified people with thousands of hours of time on the street. It doesn't seem right does it? Maybe a national seniority list is the answer.

Too bad the majors did this to themselves by allowing their regional partners to grow and fly larger aircraft. If Compass and Mesaba didn't fly the ERJ and the 900, NW pilots wouldn't have to worry about their aircraft being parked. Similar situations exist with Delta, United, and US Airways.

Too bad the majors did this to themselves by allowing their regional partners to grow and fly larger aircraft.

Oh for gosh sakes. You guys whined when scope language kept you from buying jets...then 70 seat jets...then 90 seat jets.

Now you're whining that the major guys were TOO lenient with scope and gave away the golden goose.

Guess we all learned a lesson about scope. Never, ever, negotiate away your job.

Latest resources

Back