• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Straight shootin' about JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess that didn't look as good as it sounded. For those of you that are sexually challenged, I like the way Tony writes (one of the most articulate here) and most of this thoughts.

Hope that clears up any strange ideas. :eek:

Have to go play with the GIRLfriend now...see ya. :D

AA

wndshr said:
. . . <snip>. . .motivated me to send you and friends to school and offer a verbal timeout. . . . <snip>. . ..
Oh my gawd. . . this guys is really, REALLY full of himself. . . .

klhoard said:
Are you talking about 250 BLOCK HOURS per quarter? I've screwed up if I fly that much in a YEAR!!!

I guess I'll be seeing your non-productive butt in the furlough line some day. Looks like you negotiated your way into having your company pay big money for little work. Enjoy while it lasts!

Vingus said:
I guess I'll be seeing your non-productive butt in the furlough line some day. Looks like you negotiated your way into having your company pay big money for little work. Enjoy while it lasts!
They are paying me for my potential. . . .

Interesting on block hours--its apples to oranges.

FDX sells reliability. That means many times we have to have "slack" in the rope....so that we can take it out when we need extra lift/bodies. We have extra folks on standby and reserve, because the "Purple Promise" of "Absolutely Positively" doesn't accept cancelled flights or "we'll it get it day after tomorrow...sorry...".

Also...there are 2 main pushes into and out of the hubs per day (with some exceptions). So...FedEx doesn't make money by keeping jets or people in the air to be efficient (ala SWA or JB) but rather by charging a premium for the guaranteed service.

What does this mean for a FedEx pilot? Well...when you are in the hub on a standby period getting paid to watch an NFL game and you don't get a called out, you think "wow...this is money for NOTHING!". When you are on a Cat III approach for the third time in a week at 5 a.m. in an airplane older than you are in the early a.m. fog with nothing but terror keeping your eyelids open, you think "what the *&^* am I doing here! They can't pay me enough for this!" So...they do in fact pay KL for his "potential", and like a fireman he is there when the company needs him (generally this involves peak season, bad weather etc).

On a personal note, I was the PM on the leg back into MEM the night of Katrina. Although not everyone made it in the first try, everyone flying that night was busting their butts to get into the hub with the freight and do so in some very nasty conditions. That is why people ship FedEx--we find a way to get it done.

Again--not flamebait or a slam on anyone. Our business models are different, that's all. Efficiency and reliablity and not mutually exclusive, but our company is built more around the latter than the former. Its a great gig most of the time, but like any job there are days (and nights) you have to pony up and earn a year's pay on a flight or two....

Latest resources

Back