• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stopping the slide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can see your point from the bottom side. But I'm as you are trying to go up. The NWA proposal of salary cuts doesn't fit into your fix. What will? Got to get to bed gots be in dtw tomorrow. I'll read your reply tomorrow thanks for the exchange. good night.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Hows does what you are proposing benefit the other players is this game? quote]

You must not follow most political advances. It's not about playing fair. It's not about satisfying the majority. It's not even about creating a win-win situation. It's all about getting something for the greater good.

BTW, that last blip about the newbie CFI's was not emotional for me but maybe for some folks who read it. IT was just pure and simple flame bait.

Last edited:
fastbird said:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Hows does what you are proposing benefit the other players is this game?

You must not follow most political advances. It's not about playing fair. It's not about satisfying the majority. It's not even about creating a win-win situation. It's all about getting something for the greater good.

BTW, that last blip about the newbie CFI's was not emotional for me but maybe for some folks who read it. IT was just pure and simple flame bait.

OK, if you aren't going to propose a change that is attrative to most... Then how are you going to cram it down anyone or everyone throat?

Flamebait....and I thought you knew what you were talking about...

The best flame bait comes from those who know how to spin the truth to elicit the strongest response.

It doesn't matter if the masses want something...it only matters if the people in a position to make it happen want it to happen.

Ergo, we have to solicit their help and support.

It funny to read all this if it wasn't so sad.The only way to control wages is if we are all on the same page.Make sure all the airlines have the same costs for pilots.How thats done,well who knows but it must be done or the wip saw will continue.A national contract is my anwser but others may have a better idea.

filejw said:
The only way to control wages is if we are all on the same page.Make sure all the airlines have the same costs for pilots.How thats done,well who knows but it must be done or the wip saw will continue.A national contract is my anwser but others may have a better idea.
That idea has been floated before, too.

Certainly ALPA could control such a thing, since they have to sign off on ANY T.A. before it can be implemented. All they would have to do would be to set "minimum pilot wages" and not allow anything LESS to be signed. Period.

That being said, the "all they would have to do" part is a LOT. You have to take into account some airlines simply can't AFFORD the pilot pay that, say, FedEx can. As a matter of fact, NO ONE can except for FedEx and UPS... :D

Seriously though, I don't believe that setting THE EXACT wage every airline must pay, for instance, a 737 driver would work - too much other contract dynamics. But I CERTAINLY DO agree in a "Minimum" wage for each aircraft implemented by ALPA National.

Unfortunately, I believe I'm in the minority when it comes to people who actually GET INVOLVED in ALPA's system within their airline.

Nothing happens over night and sweeping changes to better our rapidly declining QOL will be hard fought.

What myself and these learned fellows are suggesting is merely a first step. But, if we can't try to make this step...then we may as well resign ourselves to being non-professional labor.

I like this analogy. The eye doctor who practices LASIK surgery is no less of a professional since he gave up his PRK scalpel for a computer controlled laser. He may charge less per patient now, but the technology has enabled him to serve more patients. His QOL did not decline. He is still thought of as a professional.

Why the heck do pilots get pushed around because our industry makes a technological advance that makes the job easier? The job is not less risky, just try to get life insurance. It only got a tad bit easier (until you forget to push a button) in much the same way as LASIK made eye surgery easier.

As ATP pilots, we are no less professional and no less skilled in our trade than the doctor is in his trade.

It's thru limited training opportunities, high academic requirements, and long school times follow by years of apprenticeship...the medical world has managed to limit supply.

That is what we do not do in aviation.

Last edited:
Great idea REZ...here's the copy I emailed....just cut, paste and customize it for you.

Remember to put your snail mail address to ensure you get a reply.

FB

Dear Senator _________; (or Honorable Mr. Xxx for a Representative)

In this era of working harder for less, we need a political ally to help us in the airline industry. For 20 years now, pilot training academies and colleges have produced thousands of low time pilots seeking the dream of an aviation career. Normally, these new pilots spent considerable time as flight instructors or other entry level pilot positions before earning a position in the cockpits of our regional carriers. All during this time, these same flight training programs have proported a coming pilot shortage that has never materialized.

New students come into aviation with the hope and expectation of attaining the ultimate job of flying for a major airline like United, American, Delta or UPS. For others of us, we enjoy life at the regional level and want to keep piloting at our level a true professional occupation.

Our industry needs help. Regional airlines are exploiting graduates of these so called regional airline training academies and hiring brand new pilots with very little experience for poverty level wages. This practice is bringing down the experience level of the only growing segment of the American air transportation industry. Some commuter airlines are hiring new pilots with only 500 hours total flight experience. This lack of experience will harm public safety.

One way we can foster a positive change for safety in commuter airline is to standardize the minimum professional pilot requirements. This is very similar to the "One Level of Safety" in commuter airline maintenance several years ago. I'm asking you to sponsor a measure (or Notice of Proposed Rule Making) to bring FAA Part 121 requirements in line with FAA Part 135 IFR minimum requirements.

This simple act will help increase the level of safety in our industry. To be hired and fly in poor weather under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), a Part 135 IFR pilot must have 1200 flight hours. When compared to the 500 hour pilots some regional airlines are hiring, this additional 700 hours is a huge amount of experience. That experience must be brought to the cockpit by future airline pilots. It is not experience they should be learning "on the job."

Please, lead an effort to standardize the industry. I know it won't be popular with regional airline owners and CEO's. But, the safety of the American public should be paramount to desires of the CEO's.

Thank your for considering this measure.

Sincerely,

Joe Pilot, Captain, XXX Airlines
3121 W. Taxiway Drive
Airpark, AV 13254
(600) 600-0600

Nice job

Latest resources

Back