Stopping the slide

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear70 said:
...Long battle, but we have to start somewhere. To those on this board who are serious about it, PM me......

Some grab ass guy also said, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

I've already been in contact with my Senator (a Dem) and my Representative (a GOP).

I would not rule out AOPA in addition to ALPA. The more lobbying power you have the better. In the lobbying arena, high numbers equate to political voice and groups with under 100,000 members have a small voice. AOPA has twice the membership as ALPA. If they just weighted in on the issue, it would help the movement.

It's a given the RALA will fight against this, even ATA might.

But, that is where we have to be vocal with the right folks and will ALL the Airline Pilots we can get to support an email campaign.

Lear70...you gotta clear out some email before you can get any more. It rejected when I tried to PM you.

We'll have to see which idea the political machine prefers. As screwy as that crowd can be, I can see them rejecting the ATP even though it's an easier argument.

I think the concession with the ATP idea would have to be the age 23 thing. It's also the way for RALA to continue to support the college aviation programs. They want that 21 year old, because he can't go anywhere for a few years.

I support what Lear70 and my esteemed colleague Fastbird are proposing. I believe an ATP should be required for ALL 121 pilots with the ATP ride given by the Feds or an Airline Checkairman.

Of course, I'll take it one step further. Leave the ATP age requirement at 23 but raise the mins to 2000TT and require previous 135 experience for ATP eligibility.

The low-timers will scream about this proposal but too bad. Supposedly, the ATP is the PhD of pilot certificates. You want to be an airline pilot? Get the experience needed for an ATP.

You don't go from HS diploma directly to a PhD...

BTW, I was a 135 pilot before moving onto the 121 world.

HMM

Copy sent.

If anyone else wants a copy, PM me.

HMM's right...you don't go from highschool to PhD in just a few months.

Last edited:
fastbird said:
HMM's right...you don't go from highschool to PhD in just a few months.

I disagree......

A guy had a mid life crisis, became a Gulfstreamer, racked up turbine time right seat, then left seat... got on at FedEx....

Are you saying the competitive requirements and FedEx's interview process are flawed?

I think you guys are going about legislation the wrong way...

Really your arguement is, I am a [relatively] high time pilot and I don't like these low time guys coming in and getting the same benefit as myself in a shorter amount of time....

It is hard to legislate supply and demand....

In addition, low time guys aren't really effecting the accident rate, sure there is pinncale's clown pilots, but also a weak training program at AMR. (A300 at JFK).

This dialog is good..... we need legislation protection... I'm not sure what the effective answer is, but getting informed and active....like this is a great start....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I disagree......

A guy had a mid life crisis, became a Gulfstreamer, racked up turbine time right seat, then left seat... got on at FedEx....

He didn't do that in a few months!

I guy I instructed got picked up to do SIC time in a corporate gig with his former boss right after he completed the Comm/MEL/SEL Inst. Jealous not really, just wished he'd remembered the old CFI when they were looking for another pilot.

Nobody ever said that networking isn't part of the process.

My real motivation and angst for this is aimed at the whiny arsed newbie CFI's who feel burnt out after 100 dual given then whine even more when they are turned down during a Skyway interview. Then, they come on this board and vent about the industry owes them a job. :)

IATA FO typing

Outside the US the FO needs a type rating (I believe) There was some talk about FAA grandfathering in current FO's. Interesting thought Grandfathering kids ...but I digress... ATP should have some sort of real experience requirement because it is a Phd. Since an ATP can instruct in airline flying without a CFI FAA recognizes that as well.

CoATP...yes...the ICAO international standard that all flying regulations are supposed to be based on does require the FO to be typed.

fastbird said:
My real motivation and angst for this is aimed at the whiny arsed newbie CFI's who feel burnt out after 100 dual given then whine even more when they are turned down during a Skyway interview. Then, they come on this board and vent about the industry owes them a job. :)

Ok, but this is an emotional response....

Hows does what you are proposing benefit the other players is this game? The Feds, The consumer, Management, etc.... You've got to convince everyone at the table that this is win-win-win-win for all....

Latest resources

Back