• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmmm?

Here's just a few of the AFSC (officers) they are releasing:
42F-podiatrist
42T-occupational therapist
47P-prosthodontist (i don't even know what this is)
45N-otorhinolaryngobgist (or this)
45G-gynecologist
44P-psychologist
35P-public affairs

I am in the training end of things and admit I have a pretty limited view of what is going on. I'd appreciate another perspective from you guys on the pointy end. Here are a few questions/comments I'd like to see some of y'all with a different take, post on.

1) I find it a bit insulting that the AF is trying to pass off the release of these AFSC's today (and I quote from the article) as an "exit plan [that] calls for a gradual draw down from Stop-Loss, which means we want to continue to release AFSC's with each new review as long as we are able to maintain sufficient forces to meet mission req'mts." Did they really need to postpone the review almost 2 weeks to figure out that they could release all the gynecologists and psychiatrists?

2) If OPS tempo is so high and we are so critically manned, why is the Navy/Army/MC not taking such measures.

3) In the above article, Lt.Col. Jan Middleton from the Pentagon says "Though its easy to make that assumption [That stop loss is being used as a manning tool] it is absolutely not true." Although Lt Col Middleton says this, stop loss waivers at Laughlin are not being approved simply because mgt wants to keep manning numbers up for the swap to T-6s. What gives?

I am proud to be serving my country, especially during times such as these. It frustrates me, however, to be sitting in an very overmanned training sqdn and not able to separate. We've even had guys try to volunteer to go back to their MWS to help out. AFPC reply: "pull your papers and you can". Hope this don't piss off you folks that are deployed, I sure don't mean to, cause I've been there. I'd just like some straight shootin for a change.

Last edited:
welcome to the club!

I'm in the same boat you're in. Squadron's about 110% manned (not including Reservists), but leadership here's not releasing anyone unless they're going to a reserve job; you know, like the critical Squadron Exec and AF Academy liason jobs that desperately need to be filled (can't say I blame these lucky scammers). And they still haven't caught the clue that a lot of the folks (at least here) who say they're going to the Reserves, have no intention of actually doing so once they're out (can't blame them either).

The other issue is this idea that you're supposed to be suffering some "hardship" in order to justiy your waiver request. Excuse me! Catch a clue General! Either I'm needed, or I'm not, regardless of my personal situation.

Oh, and as far as going back to support a genuinely under-manned, critical MWS, forget it. You must indeed pull your papers; otherwise, you're on PCS freeze.

I have a dream!

You know, until I saw the list of released AFSCs, I had finally believed the propaganda- we're all one big happy team in the Air Force. I believed what the big guys we're saying- it takes everyone to do the mission. The pilot at the tip of the spear is no more important than the guy at finance (or the podiatrist or clinical genetist or otorhinolaryngologist!) I guess the Air Force is saying that these guys aren't as important as the pilots! I can't believe it! I'm going to call Public Affairs and get the Air Force's official position. Oops, I'm sorry, I guess they were released and went home!

All I know is I'm in trouble if stop-loss doesn't end soon. My wife is about to flip because I'm stuck in stop-loss! I need to take her to the clinical social worker- not gonna happen! Then I'll need help from the podiatrist when I stick my foot somewhere it doesn't belong and AFPC is gonna need a dentist. They'll have to send me to a psychologist, but I won't be able to find one since they're all released. I guess they'll prosecute me and I'll need a JAG, but no such luck...

Oh well, at least we're 10 days closer to the next stop-loss message!

Heeeey Zman300 and other dignified readers...
We're getting a solid downhill flow from AFPC about the stoploss AFSC's, but not a lot about the longer range views from those guys as far as the PCS programs that are in place or are being reworked. We've got a bunch of folks reaching their magic 2 years on station and getting vulnerable for moves (and the 2 year commitment that no one wants to tack onto their already short times left in the AF). You mentioned that you can't be PCS'd unless you pull your papers...does that mean if you put your papers in that you'll be "frozen in place"? The discussion at the water cooler today bounced off this subject a couple times, and with the complete lack of any credible evidence coming out of higher HQ, the rumor mongerers are in rare form. Got any insight, or just passing along what's floating around your squadron?

Any other inputs from the cheap seats up behind right field??? If the hiring stays this way, you'll be able to recognize me as the friendly beer man working the empty sections...

Prop,
From the AFPC road show I got last week, they (the flesh peddlers) said that if you put in your papers then you are no longer eligible for a PCS and you'll remain in place. Added to that, they have to assume that Stop Loss will end at any time and will program a vacancy at your separation date (btw this happened to me -- I should have separated a month ago -- my replacement has been on station for two months now while I've move to an open desk in the corner and spend my four hours a day at work reading the paper and surfing the net. Guess it's good to be "essential":rolleyes: ).

More rumor and guessin

Here's my take,

If you have your papers in I don't think they will move you. They probably could PCS you (I think they can do whatever they want to when it comes right down to it) but even if they did, they caint make you incur any extra commitment. SO, if they did PCS you to BFE and stop loss ended the next day - you'd be a free man.

Now here is my question. If this thing keeps stringin out, how long can they keep us under stop loss. For some reason, I was thinkin they could only keep you in 1 year past your DOS (indentured servitude and all), but I think that is probably wishful thinking on my part. Anybody know for sure?

Thats all I can come up with for now.

Adios,

ETX

"Let my people go." -Moses

"No." - Pharoh and AFPC

YeOldeProp and Zulua320:

YeOlde Prop:
Zulua320 may have gotten more recent insight based on his post. The official word on AFPC's web site, though, is that you will not be PCS'd IF you have an "approved separation/retirement date." Submitting your separation request may not be enough, but again, based on Zulua320's post, there may be more to the story.

zulua320 said:
Prop,
From the AFPC road show I got last week, they (the flesh peddlers) said that if you put in your papers then you are no longer eligible for a PCS and you'll remain in place. Added to that, they have to assume that Stop Loss will end at any time and will program a vacancy at your separation date (btw this happened to me -- I should have separated a month ago -- my replacement has been on station for two months now while I've move to an open desk in the corner and spend my four hours a day at work reading the paper and surfing the net. Guess it's good to be "essential":rolleyes: ).

Zulua320:
You're still showing up at work?! Admirable ;)

zman300,
You're technically correct -- it's the "approved retirement/separation date" that makes you immune to PCS orders. Putting you papers in, however, will generate an "approved retirement/separation date" that won't be worth anything until Stop Loss is lifted, but it will prevent AFPC from giving you an assignment.
Man, I've got waaaaay too much time on my hands if I've been able to figure this out.:eek:

Latest resources

Back