Stewardess or Flight Attendant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

onewithwings

The biggest airline in the world, Atlanta’s own Delta Airlines, is in serious trouble: a $125 million hit this quarter, reduction of system capacity by ten per cent this year, and the loss of 8,000 jobs in the past 12 months. But I know how to fix all this and, at the same time, advance western civilization: bring back the stewardesses and impose on them an upper age limit of 30.

One of the most bizarre marketing ploys in history was when the airlines dropped “stewardess” and picked up “flight attendant.” It seems that “stewardess” was demeaning and that “flight attendant” more professional. The job did not change, only the attitude. Think nose dive. And by the way, how do you attend a flight?

Stewardesses were attractive women in their twenties. Many were from small towns and believed that flying was the greatest job imaginable. They could sashay up an aisle in their high heels and tight skirts and the men onboard wouldn’t have noticed if the pilot performed three loops, two snap rolls, and a hammerhead stall. Stewardesses brought sparkle and joie de vivre to their work. They laughed and joked with passengers and did not take themselves too seriously. The job made it all worthwhile and they usually were married and gone before they were 30.

Stewardesses were trained in emergency procedures but had enough sense to know they could fly for years and never use the training; they were airborne waitresses and their job was to be bright and perky and to take the passengers’ minds off flying. That was okay. They loved their work.They loved their work.

Then they became flight attendants. The twenty-somethings became waspish grandmothers more concerned with where they are going to shop when the plane lands rather than with service to passengers. They go into the galley and read newspapers and chit-chat with each other. And the real reason there are fewer flight attendants than there were stewardesses is not because airlines are downsizing crews, but because today’s flight attendants usually are big ole girls and a jet aircraft can carry only so much weight.

More of the story:Bring Back the Stewardesses

We just need these broken down battleships that are called "Flight Attendants" to retire....as second time. It seems like most of them are retired nurses, teachers and what not, just looking for the free airfare to visit all their grand children.
They're not friendly and treat the passengers as if they should be graced by their very presence.
They're so old and overweight that they are more of a threat in the event of an emergency than they are any good. I'm suprised we haven't has any of them die while in flight.
The airlines I have flown for, the manuals said that the FA's had to be "height to weight proportionate." Really? Most of these hags are wider than they are tall.

While were at it, I say we fire all these fruit cakes. They're more embarrassing than the old battleships. They prance up and down the isle. They flirt with male passengers and don't tell me that behavior they have is a natuaral behavior. That is a learned behavior. They act like that because other queers do. No woman talks like that, walks or acts like that. They do that crap on purpose.
People I have spoken too have said that they would fly SWA and jetBlue over any legacy carrier because the FA's are friendlier. Imagine if they were actually good looking, and skinny as well? The airline probably couldn't fly airplanes big enough for all the people buying tickets.

If the airlines require such high standards for the pilots, they should be pickier about the flight attendants.

All of those "old hags" are only in their late 20's. That is just what dealing with pilots for over 1 year does to their body and souls. :nuts:

Yeah, along with that let's rescind a woman's right to vote

Sorry folks, FA's aren't there for our or our passenger's viewing enjoyment, nor are they there to be submissive to sexual harassment. They should be and are more than Hooters girls that know how to open a cabin door.

Who cares anyways?? Just get rid of the old, fat and ugly ones. Why is it all the other airlines around the world have classy ones. Virgin, Singapore, Thai, Korean, Emirates...... why can't we in the US step it up out there on this front. I refuse to believe we're lacking talent in that department. Just rock up to South Beach and recruit away!

Yeah, along with that let's rescind a woman's right to vote

Sorry folks, FA's aren't there for our or our passenger's viewing enjoyment, nor are they there to be submissive to sexual harassment. They should be and are more than Hooters girls that know how to open a cabin door.

Yeah, like when they panic and open an aft door on the Hudson A-320 and then blame a non-existent passenger!

This was never a life-long career and modern CRM courses have turned some of them into power mongers who don't know their place.

Professional sports is age discriminatory, you don't see 60 year old men pitching for the Yankees! You can either do the job properly or you can't!

It's not a sexual statement. Most of these "Save the Whale" types could not get through the emergency exit, let alone lift it out.

Last edited:
Who cares anyways?? Just get rid of the old, fat and ugly ones. Why is it all the other airlines around the world have classy ones. Virgin, Singapore, Thai, Korean, Emirates...... why can't we in the US step it up out there on this front. I refuse to believe we're lacking talent in that department. Just rock up to South Beach and recruit away!
Because we have laws protecting the overweight and old. In the jungle they would be eatin.
I say if you can't carry your own bag up the stairs, it's time for you to retire. If you're too weak to lift your bag, you're too weak to help in an emergency.

Back in the old days pilots actually had a chance with the 20-something stews because pilots were all ex-military, ran 10 miles each morning, dressed in tailored, crisp uniforms, and had enough money and leisure time to support a few mistresses.

Bringing back the glory days of hot stewardesses would just make most of you cry into your pillow when your flabby hulk collapses into the dingy bunk-bed in your crash pad at the end of a 16 hour duty day. Do you really want to be reminded daily of all that's been lost? Better this way.

Latest resources

Back